“Cuban the way its meant to be..great, simple unpretentious and cheap”

Sunrise Cuban Cafe and Market
Ranked #9 of 22 Restaurants in Tavernier
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Authentic Cuban Food ~ Cuban CoffeeBreakfast / Lunch / DinnerEat-in or Take OutCafeteria style / counter order / table order
Reviewed February 22, 2014

This place is not pretty or spotless, but the food is so superb, plentiful, and inexpensive.
It is a great dive with fabulous Cuban..prepared with a deft hand, not fatty, greasy, or overly salty.
All the pork,,lechon..is worth ordering.
Bypass the menu...order from the hot case.
A Cuban sandwich will ruin you for one anywhere else.
Service varies..not always good..sometimes awful.
You can get everything to go..including lechon by the pound at back of the little grocery store that shares space.
This place has been around forever with different names.
It is a treasure....eat like a Cuban.... and don't order American food here.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

To go to Florida and not have good Cuban food is part of visiting Florida.It gives the vacation an international flavor.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Good food good price,had a lunch with pork assada and rice. Enough for two people over 60. Good fresh cuban bread

Reviewed January 4, 2014

My group ate here for breakfast. Service was a bit slow. The food tasted ok, but those who ordered toast complained that the jelly packs seemed old. Then someone opened one that had mold on it. Yes, mold--the green, fuzzy kind.

Some in our group had been impressed with the loaves of fresh Cuban bread, so (trying to give the place a second chance) they went back the next day for lunch. They promptly found a hair in their food. Sorry, but there is a trend developing here. I won't be back.

1  Thank weeksvillejoe
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

While I was greeted warmly when I walked in, it wasn't long until I was treated rudely. I don't speak Spanish and the woman at the counter had a very hard to understand accent. So there was that. I had to ask her to repeat herself a few times. And each time, I'm sure she got even more upset with me. After she put my sandwich on the counter, she walked away to serve someone else before taking my money. I didn't see a tip jar, as it's customary to tip in the Keys. So I told her to keep the change. If looks could kill, I wouldn't be writing this review.
Oh and the food was subpar. I'm glad I'm only visiting the area for work. Won't be back, ever.