“Standard Chain”

Comfort Inn & Suites of Tavares
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Tavares
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I am more disgusted with Expedia..since I bought this room anticipating a bargain and got/paid regular retail price...which means I could not cancel and coud not even get my AARP discount! No deals at all..However, on the plus side: very nice king room..quiet...overlooking orange groves...on the minus side: cheap towels so thin I could see through them..the hotel could spend a few dollars there and also on heating the jacuzzi/hot tub, which was COLD!!! (They did admit when asked that it was not heated..they rely on the sunshine for that...) Very little local info or delivery services for food and nothing within walking distance..but Hubby RAVED over the free continental breakfast and said he would come back..and from a retired chef this was HIGH accolades.....Dealt with two receptionists...one was very nice, the other could user a few lessons on customer service.....

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 12, 2012

This is a new Best Western. Very pretty lobby.... consistent. Full breakfast. predictable. Pool and hot tub are locked after dark.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2012

not anything outstanding, its not a top line chain so can't expect that. Stayed here for 3 nights a couple weeks back when my father in law underwent bypass across the street at the florida hospital.

It was a good stay and the breakfast was a nice touch. Rooms were in good condition and the lobby was nice, good pool.

The hot tub wasnt hot it seems the heating function wasnt working properly. For those with allergies it is a pet friendly hotel so you may want to look elsewhere we werent aware of this until we were in the hotel fortunately it didnt affect my daughter who does have some allergies.

All in all it was a pretty good stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2012

For the price, the hotel exceeded our expectations. No, this isn't a 5 star hotel like the Ritz, but we didn't pay a 5 star price. For the money this is a very nice hotel. We needed a hotel near Mt. Dora that accepted pets and this is the one we chose and we are delighted we did.
When a hotel offers a complimentary breakfast, I only expect cereal, bread products, fruit and maybe a waffle machine. This hotel additionally served hot scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon - a bonus in my book.
We love to travel with our dog so finding a nice, comfortable hotel that takes pets is always a top priority for us.
The room was very clean and had everything we needed - 2 comfortable beds, a microwave and refrigerator and even a kitchen sink.
There was a desk with a high speed internet port. I've seen complaints about the wifi not working for some people, but when I booked, the hotel room amenities only listed high speed internet, not wi-fi, so I didn't expect it and I always travel with an ethernet cable. The front desk offered me one too.
The pool area was very nice as well. The staff was nice and always accommodating.
We didn't get HBO, but that is really the only set-back we had, which didn't matter to us really.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We came down for the state golf tournament. This was the only hotel we could find. We had two rooms, a wet bar room and a sleeper sofa room. Both rooms were completely different! Now let me start off from the first part of it.

Check-In: we arrived at around ten at night. We walked into the amazing lobby and got ourself checked in. The lobby was amazing. Very modern, and purple...

Rooms: We had two completely different rooms, one was much nicer than the other. The rooms were kinda small, but this a best western. One of the rooms had a white bedding with a nice colorful pillow while the other room is a weird green square pattern.

Breakfast: The breakfast was okay. But the worker was working extremely hard and was extremely nice! She got us everything we needed if it wasn't there.

Location: About an hour from Universal, Disney, Ect. But if Orlando is your destination, stay in the Orlando area. Also, stay on-site at the parks, traveling an hour isn't fun. But the location for usbwas good; about a twenty minute drive to the course.

Overall: It was a good one night stay, probably would not stay again, but it was good.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank beachdude654
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Everything was on the fritz, rude staff, crummy breakfast, dirty room, overcharged.
Hot tub didn't work, although we called the day before our check in, and they said it worked fine. Internet didn't work, although when we made our reservations they assured us we would have free internet. The wireless, we were told, was on the fritz. They gave us an ethernet cord, but could not connect with that either. Others guests experienced the same problem.
The breakfast was cold and bland. Even worse, the elderly lady who put the food out was extremely rude. She started yelling at a black man because he tried to take his coffee and donut back to his room. She made a huge scene. She went as far as to say, "And this is NOT a racial thing". When he continued to walk away from her with his stale donut and coffee, she said, "You will pay for that later!"
The lady who checked us in, Gina, was ridiculous, rude, and incompetent . When my husband was trying to figure out the price and all the extra charges, she said, "You are abusing me." and told him to go away.
It was very hot in the room. I set the window unit down to 67 degrees, but it still must have been 80 degrees in there.
When I checked for bed bugs, I didn't see any, but I did find some horrible stains (see pictures) on the bed. Appeared to be urine stains.
We ended up paying almost double what we were quoted. We booked with AAA and were quoted a price of $63.00. We ended up paying $129.89. However, when we arrived, we were charged an extra $30 in extra person fees because it was 2 couples. We were talked into upgrading to a "one bedroom suite" and told it was an extra $20. However, now that I'm home and reviewing my bill, I see we were charged $26.00 I supposed they didn't take into account my AAA discount when they upgraded the room. The "One bedroom Suite" was really just a room with 2 beds and a couch. There was no divider, just one room.
The daytime staff, Barbara, was very nice and helpful. The lobby is very beautiful and impressive with a waterfall and nice furniture.
Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Pull up the covers and inspect your mattress, never know what kind of stains you will find.