“Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Tavares
Tampa, Florida
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

For the price, the hotel exceeded our expectations. No, this isn't a 5 star hotel like the Ritz, but we didn't pay a 5 star price. For the money this is a very nice hotel. We needed a hotel near Mt. Dora that accepted pets and this is the one we chose and we are delighted we did.
When a hotel offers a complimentary breakfast, I only expect cereal, bread products, fruit and maybe a waffle machine. This hotel additionally served hot scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon - a bonus in my book.
We love to travel with our dog so finding a nice, comfortable hotel that takes pets is always a top priority for us.
The room was very clean and had everything we needed - 2 comfortable beds, a microwave and refrigerator and even a kitchen sink.
There was a desk with a high speed internet port. I've seen complaints about the wifi not working for some people, but when I booked, the hotel room amenities only listed high speed internet, not wi-fi, so I didn't expect it and I always travel with an ethernet cable. The front desk offered me one too.
The pool area was very nice as well. The staff was nice and always accommodating.
We didn't get HBO, but that is really the only set-back we had, which didn't matter to us really.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting the area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We came down for the state golf tournament. This was the only hotel we could find. We had two rooms, a wet bar room and a sleeper sofa room. Both rooms were completely different! Now let me start off from the first part of it.

Check-In: we arrived at around ten at night. We walked into the amazing lobby and got ourself checked in. The lobby was amazing. Very modern, and purple...

Rooms: We had two completely different rooms, one was much nicer than the other. The rooms were kinda small, but this a best western. One of the rooms had a white bedding with a nice colorful pillow while the other room is a weird green square pattern.

Breakfast: The breakfast was okay. But the worker was working extremely hard and was extremely nice! She got us everything we needed if it wasn't there.

Location: About an hour from Universal, Disney, Ect. But if Orlando is your destination, stay in the Orlando area. Also, stay on-site at the parks, traveling an hour isn't fun. But the location for usbwas good; about a twenty minute drive to the course.

Overall: It was a good one night stay, probably would not stay again, but it was good.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank beachdude654
Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Everything was on the fritz, rude staff, crummy breakfast, dirty room, overcharged.
Hot tub didn't work, although we called the day before our check in, and they said it worked fine. Internet didn't work, although when we made our reservations they assured us we would have free internet. The wireless, we were told, was on the fritz. They gave us an ethernet cord, but could not connect with that either. Others guests experienced the same problem.
The breakfast was cold and bland. Even worse, the elderly lady who put the food out was extremely rude. She started yelling at a black man because he tried to take his coffee and donut back to his room. She made a huge scene. She went as far as to say, "And this is NOT a racial thing". When he continued to walk away from her with his stale donut and coffee, she said, "You will pay for that later!"
The lady who checked us in, Gina, was ridiculous, rude, and incompetent . When my husband was trying to figure out the price and all the extra charges, she said, "You are abusing me." and told him to go away.
It was very hot in the room. I set the window unit down to 67 degrees, but it still must have been 80 degrees in there.
When I checked for bed bugs, I didn't see any, but I did find some horrible stains (see pictures) on the bed. Appeared to be urine stains.
We ended up paying almost double what we were quoted. We booked with AAA and were quoted a price of $63.00. We ended up paying $129.89. However, when we arrived, we were charged an extra $30 in extra person fees because it was 2 couples. We were talked into upgrading to a "one bedroom suite" and told it was an extra $20. However, now that I'm home and reviewing my bill, I see we were charged $26.00 I supposed they didn't take into account my AAA discount when they upgraded the room. The "One bedroom Suite" was really just a room with 2 beds and a couch. There was no divider, just one room.
The daytime staff, Barbara, was very nice and helpful. The lobby is very beautiful and impressive with a waterfall and nice furniture.
Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Pull up the covers and inspect your mattress, never know what kind of stains you will find.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Sevierville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Stayed one night, best nights sleep. The room was quite large, very clean and comfortable. The overall hotel was very pleasant. The breakfast quite good and hot. This is by far the best hotel we have stayed at on our trip to Fl.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Dee R
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I book this room trough Hotwire think it over the build up was very misleading describing this hotel as a three star with a 95 % customer approval. At first glance the lobby looks nice but the rooms were musty and dusty I couldn't stay and Hotwire refused to book a new room at another hotel apparently I left very dissapointed . My advice is to select your hotels carefully because independently run hotels maybe a huge let down as was in my case I lost 80$ on a room I refused to stay in because of the overall cleaness of this hotel .

Room Tip: Book your room through hotel chains you trust.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Martinque
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We stayed here for five nights while visiting family. Not the best but not the worst. Good things….we upgraded to a one bedroom suite (which there are only two of in the whole hotel) and it was surprisingly spacious. Was clean and in good condition. Room had a full size fridge and microwave. Lobby was beautiful. Front desk staff was friendly. Easy to get to from the main road. Not so good things…room was cleaned every day but it was the bare minimum. My son had dropped some crumbs and they were still on the floor after cleaning. The dining room table did not appear to be wiped off. Did not give us enough towels, ever. High speed internet did not work in our room...used service on my husband's phone. Breakfast buffet stunk…very little choice and prepared food did not taste good (eggs and sausage)...we only ate at it a couple of times because we were in a rush. I saw the cranky woman that staffs the buffet…I did not have any interactions with her personally but she was snippy with other people. Overall, it was ok. We really did not spend a lot of time there…it was a place to rest our head so it served its purpose. Would I go back…considering the other options in the immediate area, it is the best option, so yes.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank junebugsrbig
Gainesville, FL
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We ended up at this hotel by bidding on Priceline.com. I had previously had success doing that but after this experience, never again. I'd rather pay more and have the ability to choose my hotel. We were given a handicap room on the first floor. The room was shabby & in need of being updated. Many spots on the carpet. Tiles in the bathroom were chipped and b/c of the handicap bathroom, it had a roll in shower. But they had a serious drainage problem b/c the entire floor was flooded after one of us showered and it took forever for the water to drain. No counter space in the bathroom. The bedspread & blankets were thin. The a/c was loud. The freezer in the minifridge did not get cold enough to keep our ice packs frozen. When we checked in, we were told they were full so no option to get another room. I don't recall if the breakfast buffet was any good or not...it certainly didn't stand out.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jacqui-in-FL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavares
Quality Inn and Suites Mount Dora
#1 of 5 in Mount Dora
Inn on the Green
Inn on the Green
#6 of 8 in Tavares

Been to Best Western Plus Lake County Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!