“Love me some Greek Seafood”

The Original Mama Maria's Greek Cuisine
Ranked #12 of 138 Restaurants in Tarpon Springs
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Family owned and operated since 1978. Our Mama "Mama Maria" still does the cooking. Truly were all the locals, Greek and Non-Greeks, come for fresh Greek and seafood specialties. Spacious main dining room seats 100. Full view open kitchen. Separate enclosed climate controlled patio for private parties of 40-60. Full bar and beer and wine available. Plenty of on-site free parking. Two blocks south of the historic Sponge Docks in Tarpon Springs, Fl. Reservations for parties of 5 or more are highly recommended.
Arlington, Texas
“Love me some Greek Seafood”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

After starting with a really nice Greek salad, I partook in a feast of Seafood. I started to order a combination appetizer but the waiter said they can make it a dinner for only a dollar more and so I did. I loved it. I had a combination of grilled octopus, calamari, and spelts. So tasty.
My wife had the combo classic Greek and she was quite impressed. Nice to see Moma back there cooking the food herself.

South Florida
“Little old lady Mama is actually in the kitchen!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Been here twice - excellent food both times. Crab stuffed grouper is delicious and huge! Calamari, salad, shrimp, oven roasted potato all great. Looks like it's family run with Mama in the kitchen!

Palm Harbor, Florida
“JUST AS GOOD AS ATHENS”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had a great meal. The gyro platter was super.more than one person could finish. The flavor was yummy. The service and the family were wonderful. Mama was there as always in the kitchen watching over. Have been to many of the restaurants on the docks, but this is the best. Parking is not great but you can always find something close by.

“Great Greek Food”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The food here was great. I had a sausage gyro. It was quite a large gyro. It had great flavor and a great Greek dill sauce with grilled onions and tomatoes. The entire party had nothing but great compliments about the food.

London
“Average food and rude staff”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was here recently with my family. We have been here in the past and enjoyed the lower-key feel of the place - no 'Oompah!' theatrics like you see at Hella's up the road. It also seemed focussed on providing quality fare to locals rather than cowtowing to tourist expectations of a Greek restaurant.

However, I was very disappointed after a recent visit. The food was okay but not remarkable, yet probably as good as you'd pay at a more expensive restaurant like Hella's. However, the waitress was incredibly rude to my party. She refused to honor a coupon we had brought in and attached new conditions to the coupon that were not actually mentioned on the coupon itself. We had to ask for any service: to refill glasses, for extra plates to share entrees, for napkins etc. Not only was she inattentive in this way, but whenever we asked she walked away in a gruff as if we were putting her out - even though the restaurant was basically empty! She also questioned things we had ordered from the menu, and seemed to take umbrage when we did not take up her suggestions.

With so much competition, Mama Maria's can't expect to last with such rude service.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Chiswickexplorer
mamamarias, Owner at The Original Mama Maria's Greek Cuisine, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with our staff. An indication of which staff member would be helpful so that I can make sure this doesn't happen again. Do you know the name of the waitress and/or a general description of her? Thank you, The Original Mama Maria's Greek Cuisine.