“Didn't let us in - forgot the "password"”

Tarpon Springs Castle Winery
Trinity, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Didn't let us in - forgot the "password"”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

A member of our party made a reservation for 4, for 5pm. We arrived at 5:02 and saw a note that said, "Ring the bell". An elderly lady came to the door and we had reservations for 5. So she asked what the password was, we all looked to the member who made the reservation and she said she didn't remember. Her husband said, "is it please?". The lady said, "no". We stood there waiting for her to say, "just kidding, come on in". But it never came.

So again we asked if we could come in and she said, "not if you don't remember the password. You are the first people to forget the password in 5 years" (really? I doubt that). Anyway, so we went on to explain that we are 2 couples on a very rare date night because we EACH have 3 children and we decided to come to the winery. (Which, by the way, could be the reason the member of our party for the password... 3 children underfoot and multitasking). She told us to come back the next day. We reiterated that we have 3 children EACH and that we were currently paying for a babysitter. She then suggested Sunday (superbowl). Clearly, she wasn't understanding us.

She then went inside and got the elderly gentleman to come out (shutting the door behind them each time). He said that they give everyone a password and write the phone number next to it. So we asked if we could tell him our phone number. THEN he said that everyone on his list was marked off already, so we couldn't possibly have a reservation. THEN he said they were 4 over all ready and would get in trouble with the fire marshall if they let us in.

He literally walked us to the curb and said, "sorry". We were left stunned.

We had a groupon that expired 2 days later so he told us he would still accept it for the next round of groupons and we had him sign it (in case he forgot, ya know). But I will not be going back there.

So in all, there were 3 different excuses:
1. Forgot password
2. All the reservations were "crossed off"
3. They were over fire code limit already

I don't understand why she went through the stupid password hoopla if all the reservations were "crossed off".
I think they overbooked and were mad that we were 3 min late.

They have officially lost our business... and we are telling EVERYONE we know about it.

9 Thank StevieAlaine

Tarpon Springs, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Refuse paid voucher”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I bought a Groupon coupon which clearly states the paid value -which never expires- and the promotional value. After finding out I could not make it on any of their open business days, I asked for my paid value to go towards two bottles of wine. The owner refused stating, "it would be against the law since we signed a contract with Groupon." They refused to read the Groupon document stating that the paid value is good towards any purchase. I stood their crying as they offered me a single bottle of wine for $40 while telling me that was a good deal. WORST SERVICE EVER! I WILL NEVER GO BACK! Plus the place is disgusting.

6 Thank 589key
Venice, Florida
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Interesting Afternoon”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Joe & Diana are very nice hosts & are very knowledgeable about wine & wine making. Joe appears to love making wine & his stories were fascinating. To say this was your everyday winery would be incorrect. This place was different, but in a very nice way. To explain how it's different would be an injustice. You must see it for yourself. The wines we tasted were all very good or better & made without sulfites, sugar or water. Too bad all wines are not made this way. My favorite was the their red blend which they referred to as a party in a bottle. Not only do you have an opportunity to taste some wonderful wines, but you also learn about Joe's age old process for making wine. This was a very interesting afternoon.

1 Thank Marty B
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Locking us in”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

When they lock the door as the tasting begins, be ready. I should have known there would be a problem when I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone, the problems trying to make a reservation, and when you arrive to a locked door.
The older couple who own/operate the winery are pushy and rude to say the least. While waiting for our tasting to begin, we watched the owner's wife rudely turn away a couple who simply asked for information. Then, as our tasting began, they locked the door. I'm guessing they didn't want us to escape.
Be prepared to be given a price list menu and asked what you would like to buy. If your groupon guarantees a free bottle, be prepared to be asked quite snippy-like, "is that all!?!" Oh and the chocolate is a 4 piece box of Russel Stovers from Walmart.
Enjoy! I won't go back...

Visited March 2013
3 Thank Amyfreeze
Palm Harbor, Florida
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Excellent”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I purchased a Groupon for the winery tour. I waited until our Groupon was almost expired to make the reservation. I was a bit frustrated that the only time available was 11 am on a Saturday morning. But we were pleasantly surprised at the experience. There were probably 15 other people in our group and it was a very informative and fun experience. The wine tastings were very generous and the owners/operators are extremely knowledgeable. The wine is delicious and we will go back for additional educational tours. I highly recommend this tour.

1 Thank mickeyhc