“Best restaurant in FL”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2014

We love everything about Bern's. The food is great, the service is great. and the dessert room is a nice place to go and relax after the meal.

There are newer reviews for Bern's Steak House

Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I dined at Bern's Saturday night. It was absolutely delicious, the place itself is cool, and our server was great: extremely knowledgable and not at all pretentious. The lobby has the feel of the Haunted mansion at Disney, but not in a bad way. We split a 24oz strip (which is enough for 4 people btw) and absolutely delicious. The price of the steak includes cheese crackers, French onion soup w garlic toast, a delicious fresh salad, baked potato (which has bacon, chives and sour cream)... There's more... Onion rings and two vegetables! So it's really a great value. We also had a bottle of 1975 mondavi Zinfandel that was very smooth and only like $40! We planned to go to the dessert room afterward but could barely move so maybe next time. The website mentions a dress code (tie/jacket for men). But there were plenty of men in slacks and polos. You must eat here!!!

Reviewed August 30, 2014

The experience starts as soon as you get through the doors. The look is that of Gothic / Louis-XIIII era; dark, mysterious, red tones, intricate woodwork....it really sets the mood. We arrived 30 minutes before our reservation of 9pm. We wanted to experience the whole thing. We sat in the bar areas for cocktail, service was just ok. Once we closed the tab there, we were seated in one of many seating rooms. Our server quickly came to introduce himself and stated he would take care of us the whole way through and he sure did; great job Ahmren. He made sure to welcome back my friends who already had been there and to welcome me as first time guest. He was very attentive to us, asked sufficient questions to determine how we like our steak cooked, and he delivered perfectly. They have a very impressive and extensive wine list, you need time to select the right bottle for your meal, there are over 130 pages of wines, WOW. We tried the fried green tomatoes with buffalo mozzarella and pistacchio pesto, then we were served french onion soup, and house salad which were complimentary to our entree selections. Our main dish was 6oz filet mignon with sides of veggies, baked potato and thin onion rings; the perfect meal. After our meal, we were escorted to the kitchen where we were given guided tour of kitchen and wine Cellar, what an experience. Following the tour, we reserved a a dessert room upstairs, again another full experience. Decadent dessert choices and extensive digestif selection. If you are in Tampa, this place is a MUST! The steak in particular was cooked to my liking, absolute perfection!

Reviewed August 30, 2014 via mobile

We always come here for special days ! It's pricey but well worth it!
You get a 4 course meal and the service is excellent! We had the. 8oz filet you could almost cut it with your fork !! So tender and well seasoned. After dinner we went upstairs to the dessert room and had Berns special baked Alaska!!what more can I say?? If you want the best restaurant in Tampa please try this restaurant !!

Reviewed August 28, 2014

We recently moved to Tampa and wanted to go somewhere special for our anniversary dinner. We enjoy high end restaurants and were looking forward to a great steak dinner. I'm still kind of surprised at how disappointing the experience was. There were several problems:

All steaks are served with french onion soup, a basic salad, fried onions, vegetables, baked potato, and some dry toast. The soup was pretty good. Everything else was fine, but not at all special. It was frustrating to be limited to such dull sides. If I want a baked potato, I'll eat at home. It takes no creativity to bake a potato and put butter and sour cream on it. There were delicious-looking sides on the menu, but you had to order them in addition to the six items that already come with your meal. No substitutions are allowed, and you cannot upgrade sides and pay the difference.

Both of our steaks were not cooked well. My husband's was barely warm. Mine was cooked fine on the inside (medium), but there was no caramelization of fat. It was almost like the steaks were baked, not grilled. The outsides were soggy, not at all appetizing.

The sides were fine, nothing special. My husband ordered lobster bisque in addition to his french onion soup. It was great. The dessert room was also great.

I'm hoping to find some great restaurants in Tampa, but this is not one of them. I doubt we will be back.

7  Thank Katie D

Been to Bern's Steak House? Share your experiences!