“Everything we expected and more, but be aware of the dress code!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bern's Steak House

Bern's Steak House
Ranked #8 of 2,356 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Everything we expected and more, but be aware of the dress code!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

This place was recommended to us by family, and it exceeded our expectations. The food and service were top notch. I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much you get for the price; French Onion soup with four cheeses on top, a small salad, and entree (often with baked potato, organic vegetables, and fried onions) for under $50 a person. I had the swordfish - it was very moist and flavorful, and the sauce was probably the best I've ever had. The potatoes were a little over-salted, but otherwise everything was amazing. My partner had a steak and loved it.

I wish I'd known beforehand that there is a dress code (my new T-shirt and lace-up shoes were enough to get me some glares from other patrons and disapproving once-overs from staff). It's OK to wear these things in the lounge/bar area and dessert room, just be aware that not everyone is happy about it. I found it best to ignore them since we had come from out of state and there was nothing I could do about my wardrobe selection! But if you want to eat in the actual dining room, you'll need dress clothes.

That said, our waiter was very attentive and courteous to us even though we weren't dressed to the nines like everyone else. He didn't let more than 5 minutes go by without bringing us water refills, asking how the food was, or seeing if we needed help. He was very patient with us and helped us wade through the 12-page menu.

Another side note, $5 valet parking is mandatory. We tried to just park on one of the residential streets nearby, but between the one-way streets and no-parking signs (we think there's a sports stadium or something nearby, since parking is forbidden on certain days), it was more of a hassle than it was worth.

Overall, a very good experience!

2 Thank batty87

Austin, Texas
“Great food, wonderful, historic atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

If you are visiting Tampa, or haven't yet been, I highly recommend Bern's. I'm actually a pescatarian and usually only eat vegetarian, but their fish is AMAZING and our whole party drooled over every course. While there, be sure to reserve a spot in their famous Dessert Room - or go there just for desserts/coffee/apertifs. It's really a cool experience. Prices are on the higher side, so save up - and if you are just going for desserts, arrive by 7:30pm to guarantee a table.

1 Thank boydsa
Palm Harbor, Florida
“Great steaks and the Best Wine List!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Been going to Berns for years as a local resident.yes it is the perfect place for a celebratory dinner, but have also gone and shared multiple appetizers that we paired with wines. The menu offers such a wide variety of items that there is something for every palate. The staff is so friendly and accommodating. The Sommeliers are extremely knowledgable and helpful. I have heard people complain about the price, but with so many steakhouses being ala carte, Berns gives you a delicious bowl of French onion soup, a beautiful fresh salad with assortment of veggies from their farm, then with your entree, a baked potato, onion straws, and 2 veggies. Here you also get to choose your steak by ounces, not many places to that to this degree. Afterwards, you will want to walk off dinner (before indulging in the dessert room) so you need to do the kitchen/wine tour. It is amazing!!!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Sheri S
Bonita Springs, Florida
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

All the grandstanding aside, this is a delicious meal.

Our reservation was for 11pm. We were seated right away. I noticed that people were dressed in all attire-- very formal to jeans & hoodies. I had read all about the restaurant online so really didn't want to do the whole tour thing. I was really glad that our server, Bill wasn't crazy over-the-top in pushing it. We knew to pace ourselves if we wanted to make it to the dessert room.

So we ordered: french onion soup (even my boyfriend who hates onions loves this soup. It comes with 3" long garlic croutons. OMG.), Garden salad (fresh and full of flavor), bf had the filet and I had the delmonico, (both drizzled with garlic butter and were absolutely delicious), baked potato, and fresh vegetables from their own garden (amazing). We also decided to order 2 additional sides because they sounded so amazing: Truffle mac n cheese, and truffle creamed corn. So. Stinking. Good.

We then went to be seated in the separate dessert room upstairs, which is a curved maze-like place where you sit in a private booth. Really lovely. I had a sampler type of dessert with 5 small pieces. They were all 5 yummy but the vanilla cheesecake was fantastic. Bf got strawberry shortcake, and while it was very good, it focused more on the strawberry ice-cream instead of the shortcake. We made it out in about 3 hours, which was my goal. We wouldn't have made it had we done the tour, so bear that in mind. I think 3 hours is about the minimum amount of time possible for this dining experience. I think even just having a night out to the dessert room would make for a special evening. It's so private and wonderful.

As far as price: I don't think it's really that bad. Our bill was under $150 which included 4 mixed drinks. I don't know what dessert was.

1 Thank Gwen O
Boston, Massachusetts
“old saw”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is repetitive I am sure...
very old school environment, New Orleans Bordello style from the 1950's
Classic steaks, liked the all inclusive meal with soup, salad and sides included. Good thing we will more than likely only go there once as that routine could get boring very quickly.
weird second seating for dessert after fabulous tour of kitchen and wine cellar
? why do we have to wait on another line after dropping significant coin for dinner?
anyway, overall worth the trip...once in your lifetime

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank alysiabb

Been to Bern's Steak House? Share your experiences!