“Wine and Steak lovers paradise”
Review of Bern's Steak House

Bern's Steak House
Ranked #8 of 2,384 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Reston, Virginia
“Wine and Steak lovers paradise”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Yes, the steaks are delicious and the variety of cuts they offer is overwhelming, but what really separates this steakhouse from the ordinary is the incredible wine list. Not to mention the price point on many of these wines are extremely reasonable. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and picked out an incredible Merry Edwards Meredith Estate 2004 Pinot Noir that was everything we hoped for and more!

As for the food. The escargot are some of the best I've ever had, scratch that... they were the best I've had. Keep in mind their version isn't the traditional butter/garilc preparation that most restaurants abide by, rather theirs is a a hybrid of creamed spinach and garlic escargot wrapped into one harmonious dish packed full of flavor.

We also tried the truffle steak tartare which was very nice and had just the right amount of moisture. I even asked them to leave off the raw egg which they did, yet the dish still turned out exquisite.

The one setback for our apps was the braised short rib ravioli as the pasta was cold. We sent it back and when it returned it was nice and hot. When cooked correctly, this is a terrific dish especially if you like al dente pasta (which we do!).

Now for the steaks. We had a filet and chateau, both were pretty tasty but were just as good as a Capital Grille steak. Again... what makes this place stand out is the wine, atmosphere and the other sides they offer. Also if you don't like an intense char on your steak this may not be the place for you. While the steak is cooked to your liking on the inside, the outside of both steaks had an intense black char to them.

For sides we had the truffle mac n cheese which was the size of an entree, and ohhh soooo tasty. We knew we ordered way too much food but we wanted to try as much as possible since we made the trip down from DC. Their mac and cheese (like the ravioli) was perfectly al dente packed full of truffle decadence.

It should also be noted that sides are almost unnecessary at Bern's since each dinner comes with a salad, potato and french onion soup. Most major steak houses are charging 8 bux for a basic potato, it is nice to see Bern's doesn't go with masses and lets the customer feel comfortable and not being ripped off.

Everyone raves about the desserts here and we really had every intention of giving it a whirl but we were sooooo stuffed we couldn't eat anything more. Luckily our waiter still offered (and we accepted) the tour of the wine cellar which was more than impressive.

Two last items to mention:
Even with a reservation be prepared to wait on a Saturday night. Our reservation was at 8 and we were seated around 8:40. Secondly, 12% is included in the tip, then you are supposed to tip the additional gratuity like normal. For instance 12% comes on the bill then you would tip 20% if you thoroughly enjoyed the meal/service.... meaning you'd be tipping 32% on the check. I guess when they throw in the free potato, salad, soup and reasonable wine prices it somewhat evens out.

Tampa, Florida
“One of the greatest dining values in the world”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I have been going since 1962 and think it is one of the greatest dining values in the world and I have dined at many fine restaurants around the world. Where else can you get a great wine from the 70s for under $30 a bottle, perfectly aged and cooked steaks and the best prepared Maine lobster anywhere.

Visited October 2013
“Incredible is best description I have”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We enjoyed a terrific meal recently. Service was as good as it gets, food was excellent, interesting and enjoyable. The wine menu was extensive and the waiter (Owen) helped narrow the selection process .

The dessert bar was very nice , albeit it was tough to think of eating more.

The tour of the kitchen and wine cellar was very inserting .

Overall one of my better dining experiences

Sarasota, Florida
“Credit Card Number Likely Stolen and Used by Waitstaff”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

That evening, after using my credti card there, hundreds of dollars of purchases were racked up on my card, although the card was still in my possession. I hadn't used it anywhere else that anyone could see the number in ages, nor had I really used it anywhere at all. Also, the steak sirloin was a terrible cut of meat. My brother's chateubriand was excellent and so was the creamed truffle corn and shrimp coctail. But the service was not good, and my steak was grizzly and practically alive. My father inquired if my dog would want the leftovers. If you pay $70 for a steak, you would hope a human would want the leftovers. So much for his birthday dinner.

1 Thank meredith333
Moorestown, New Jersey
“Spectacular!”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This establishment has it all: superb food, phenomenal service and wonderful ambiance. My wife and I were impressed with the grandiose, tastefully decorated foyer as we made our way to the bar to have a drink and wait for our reservation time. The bartender was affable, confident and professional. Our table was ready for us on time, and the gastronomic delights ensued. A glass of champagne and oysters from the Pacific Northwest were preceded by onion soup and then a salad. Everything was terrific. We decided to order the Chateaubriand for two, which we paired with a top of the line Merlot. This was the best meal we ever had, by far. The best was yet to come. After a tour of the 6,500 sq foot kitchen and wine cellar, we went to the dessert room. Oak casks were constructed to give each patron a sense of privacy and wonderful charm. A choice of music is piped in to the private rooms. We had Peach Melba and two coffees (I opted for the Turkish coffee). It was terrific! If we go back to Tampa, this would be the main reason. It was a delightful experience and in a word the evening there was spectacular!

• Visited November 2013

Been to Bern's Steak House? Share your experiences!