“A memorable meal as always at Bern's”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bern's Steak House

Bern's Steak House
Ranked #8 of 2,368 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lakeland, Florida
“A memorable meal as always at Bern's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

The food is always outstanding, what made last night's meal memorable was the most excellent waiter, who managed to turn the evening into a real happening.
There where 5 of us ranging from 16 to 77 and his attention to detail made each one feel special.
We had heard the story of Bern's on previous visits but it was never presented with such a wonderful personal touch.
Definitely an evening to remember and cherish.
Thank you Sullivan !!

Fort Myers, Florida
“Your reputation precedes you”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is one place you must go to, if just to tell all your buddies you've been. But I warn you, the reputation outdoes the reality.
My significant other and I went for a birthday celebration and were greatly looking forward to this evening, but honestly, paying $5 to park your car is the first thing you see, and I must admit, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Not good for a restaurant. What other business (outside of sporting events) has the chutzpah to charge you just for the privilege of going inside to purchase their goods. If it was Macy's or Best Buy, you'd turn around and move on. BAD first impression.
Inside, you get the feeling you've entered a European castle, with dark woods and classical sculptures and artwork handing everywhere on the brick walls. Interesting and traditional, so if you like that type of thing, you'll truly enjoy the décor.
The service is impeccable. Our waiter was excellent and you couldn't ask for better service, so for that they get top ratings.
The food however, was disappointing. We had the chateaubriand, and you would think in this classy joint it would be carved and served tableside, as traditionally done. After all, tradition is what the entire place is about.
But no. Out filet was split in half, with the grain, and not sliced across the grain, as traditionally dictated. The steak was good, but certainly not great. The accompanying vegetables, sliced carrots and green beans were mediocre, bordering on inedible.
We tried three varieties of red wines to accompany our steaks, and they were all excellent. One of Bern's highlights is the wine cellar, which we arranged to tour, and it is impressive and well worth the additional cost.
After dinner, we visited the dessert room, where a pianist entertains while you partake in some rich and wonderful desserts. I'm telling you, as a professional chef, the Baked Alaska is superb, and you must try it. Where else, in this world, can you still get a Baked Alaska. Presented a la flambe' to your table, it's an old world masterpiece.
So there you have it. excellent service, superb wine and desserts, pricey (our dinner for two was about $200) and disappointing all in one.

Edmonton, Canada
“Not just a dinner, it's an experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Four of us dined here in October, and we were very impressed and entertained. It truly is an experience. We spent 5 hours enjoying the dinner, tours, desserts, scotches, etc.

If you are in Tampa, you absolutely must experience this place!

Visited October 2013
Waterloo, Canada
“Great Classy Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Came to Bern's with the guys for our last meal in Tampa and we were quite impressed. To be honest, I thought we were in a little bit of trouble when we pulled up and saw a Rolls Royce sitting in the valet but once entering the steak house it is clear that everyone is welcome, providing you meet the expected dress code. Our food was great, our waiter was very knowledgeable and patient and the drinks were strong! My only complaint was it was a little loud but even then I'm being picky. It was a great way to end a fantastic trip and I would highly recommend for a great steak with friends.

Kissimmee, Florida
“A little Dissapointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

We drove an hour to this restaurant because of what my wife and I had heard about it. I fully expected to be blown away by the experience. Instead I was left wanting. The entrance and decor of this restaurant is very interesting and an experience onto itself. The seating is so tight that it reminded me of a New York Deli, and not in a comfortable way. Service was excellent, but the steaks were really just average. I have eaten at some of the country's top steak houses and I would not put Bern's on that list. They seem much more into wines specialty drinks, and desserts than steaks. That said we visited the upstairs dessert room, and that experience certainly enhanced the evening and justifys the "Very Good" rating.

• Visited October 2013

Been to Bern's Steak House? Share your experiences!