“Terrific food and service, great restaurant experience”
Review of Bern's Steak House

Bern's Steak House
Ranked #9 of 2,430 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This weekend during a visit to Tampa we went with some friends to Bern's. I have visited Tampa before but never heard of Bern's; but it is an "experience" not to be missed.

First the ambience. Bern's has many rooms in the restaurant each with a different feel and many areas that look like a wine vat in the dessert room. The menu is large and clearly explains the steaks, various cuts and thicknesses which they are famous for. We have been to steak houses in Las Vegas that pride themselves on "dry aging" of steaks but Bern's does it better. Through the process, all extra fat is gone and the meat has a great taste. Also contrary to the LV experience your steak comes with French onion soup, loaded baked potato, onion rings, vegetable and bread making the total dinner a reasonable price.

One excellent part of the experience is the kitchen and wine cellar tour. It is amazing to see them preparing the steaks and other dishes. The wine cellar is not to be missed--100,000 bottles in the restaurant and 600,000 nearby and they offer 300 wines by the glass--you must try the wine here.

Finally after the kitchen and wine cellar tour you go up to the dessert room, where you have many options including coffees, after dinner drinks and delicious desserts all served in a space that looks like a wine vat.

To have the whole experience, allow several hours for dinner and dessert. Highly recommended; reservations in advance essential, particularly for the weekend

2  Thank SilverSpringer
There are newer reviews for Bern's Steak House

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We read the reviews and this restaurant came highly recommended from family and friends in the Tampa area. The food was fantastic and reasonably priced considered you get soup, salad, and sides with your entree. I had the scallops which were large and perfectly prepared and others in my party at the Chateaubriand which they were pleased with. The wine list is out-of-this-world, a gem if you love wine! The dessert room is a must - the ambience, portion size, and taste were great.

The only downside was the service. After being sat, it took awhile for our server to notice us. Once he did, he only asked if we had questions on the menu and did not ask for our drink order. We had to keep asking him for a drink, in which he would only take one person's order and walk away, leaving the other members (4 in the party total) without the chance to order a drink. He alone had 4 tables, 2 two tops, one 5 top, and our table, without any help from anyone in the restaurant. The servers are expected to do everything on their own, from HAND MAKING the caesar salads and topping the baked potatoes, to filling water, clearing tables, etc. For the price we were paying, the service was NOT there. I do have to commend the server in the dessert room who was very pleasant and attentive. Our dinner server was nice and overall pleasant, but an extra pair of hands was definitely needed. I'm glad we made the trip and will probably go back just for the dessert room.

1  Thank millibee526
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

When given the choice to pay my mortgage or have a PERFECT dining experience, I'd chose Bern's every time. Read their history on their website. Tour the wine cellar, and even if it hurts (lol) have dessert in the dessert room. For some (who don't live close) a once in a lifetime experience!

2  Thank b_travels_12
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was the best restaurant experience I have ever had in Tampa and probably ever.

We started off with two cheeses which you pay for by the ounce. We had the Manchego and the Caciotta al Tartufo. Both were amazing but the real star was the Manchego and the truffle honey it came with. I dreamt of that combination even that night. I have already decided that I would be extremely obese if I went to Bern's often.

We ordered the Chateaubriand 14 oz steak for two-medium rare. This was the best steak I have ever had, just melted in my mouth. After touring the kitchen, we realized these steaks are cared for better than most people and are aged for 5-8 weeks. Every bite was amazing.

Along with the steak for two, we each were served a salad(much of the veggies from their own organic farm), french onion soup-so so good. The cheese melted on top was perfect and had just the right amount of crust.

The wines I ordered were fabulous as well with my favorite being the Hamilton Russell 2010, Pinot Noir, Hemel-en-Aarde Vly., South Africa. This was one I researched on my own to find out how it was rated against the others. The wine menu us huge and can be quite daunting if you don't do some research beforehand. (they have over half a million bottles of wine)

The service was the best it could have been, they even get your potato ready for you to add butter to it.

We were there for around 3 hours, we toured the wine cellar, kitchen, cheese cave and had some dessert in the dessert room.

The dessert room(floor) has the best lighting and a very romantic/intimate ambiance. We were seated next to live pianist. The macadamia nut ice cream is amazing and you must order it with whatever you get.

This is a really long review but it is so hard to put our experience in words.

Is it pricey? Umm, yes but definitely worth every penny.

Do research on the steaks and wine before you go or you will be lostw.

1  Thank marieclaire0924
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Bern's is old school. It needs a refresh. Seating is dated, walls are dated and decor is in need or a cleanse. Wine list is huge and also very very expensive. The steaks - OK. Nothing more than OK. You get onion soup (very good and not too salty) and baked potato. Choices in steaks range from small tenderloin to massive porterhouse, also fish and chicken on the menu. Dresscode has been relaxed - saw polos and jeans. If you get the seating in the bar/waiting area it is for high table turnover - request another table. 5$ required valet parking plus tip. If you want to spend a lot of money, this is your place.

1  Thank Ralff

Been to Bern's Steak House? Share your experiences!