“Great food and service”

Monserrate Restaurant Bar & Grill
Ranked #440 of 2,461 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Colombian, Cuban, Latin, Mexican, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Monserrate is one of the top-rated Latin restaurants in the Tampa Bay area. Our cafe style seating, extensive food menu and wide beer and wine list will make you feel right at home. Whether you have a craving for one of our perfectly cooked steaks or a delicious fresh-caught Red Snapper, make no mistake, Monserrate will not disappoint you. We are committed to serving you the highest quality and freshest food, always prepare to your desired taste. We provide dine in, takeout, delivery and catering. Monserrate aims to provide you with a delicious home cooked meal, just like grandma used to make. We hope to see you soon.
Reviewed July 26, 2014

My wife and I went to this place yesterday around 4 for an early dinner. The place is small but nice inside and clean. Our server was very good, friendly and quick to help us and knowledgeable about the menu. My wife got the seafood mofongo and it was incredible. The dish was huge with a ton of seafood and the mofongo was delicious especially in the garlic sauce. My wife is Puerto Rican so she has had her share of mofongo and she said this was one of the best she has ever had. I wanted to try a few things so I got a stuffed yuca which had ground beef in it. I also got an order of chiccarones and the arrepa which comes with corn, chiccarones, and chorizo on it and everything was incredible. I also asked for some hot sauce which is homemade and very flavorful. I didn't realize how much food I was ordering so we have our lunch for today with all of the leftovers we brought home. We will definitely be back and will be telling our friends to check this place out.

David B, Owner at Monserrate Restaurant Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

It's so great to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your visit with us the other day! You both made some terrific choices, and it was great to hear that you loved your meals so much. I'd be glad to welcome you both back any time!

Best,

Reviewed March 3, 2014

We tried Monserrat on a recommendation from our Colombian server at another restaurant. There were four of us. Three of us had a fabulous fun time. Place has kitschy decorations which adds to the ambience in a positive way. David the owner, came over & guided us through the menu and recommended fresh fish he said was flown in from Colombia. It was a Friday night, place was crowded, server was very good. Only one person didn't enjoy himself. He is a teetotaler and a finicky eater. Moreover, he had arrived in Tampa from an out of state business meeting shortly before we met and possibly didn't want to go out. Bathrooms are outside which was a problem as men's room was locked or always busy(place may have formerly been a gas station) and when they grill meat the smoke & grease smell get into your clothes, so dress casual.
Overall, we had a wonderful time. We were not rushed as happens in some restaurants and we will definitely return probably without the finicky eater. Reservations are not necessary. Helps if you speak Spanish.

David B, Owner at Monserrate Restaurant Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Thank you so much for your review! I'm really happy to hear you had such a good time dining with us, and that you'd definitely return. We're always happy to make recommendations, and there's plenty more to try. As for your finicky dining partner -- we can definitely recommend safer options for him, as well. We look forward to your next visit!

Best wishes,

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Seriously good Latin American food is served at this very laid back, unpretentious, family run restaurant where we were the only guests speaking English, always a good sign. The menu (in Spanish) has English descriptions which were very helpful as was our friendly, efficient, and knowledgeable server, Yaimara. Started off with a piña collada and sangria, both refreshing and festive in their presentation and accompanied by crisp, salty rounds with a mild creamy dip. A cheese quesadilla appetizer was embellished with a tasty salad of shredded lettuce and pickled onion and served with a spicy dip. I chose the seafood "wedding soup" which was loaded with large, tender shrimp, scallops, fish, squid, and octopus in a delicious creamy bisque served with delectable fried stuffed tosterones, reminiscent of potato latkes. Yaimara recommended the churrasco, a wonderfully seasoned skirt steak, which was grilled to perfect medium-rare, as requested, and smothered with a piquant blend of cooked onions and peppers. It was accompanied by 2 sides. We were both too full for dessert or coffee. The chefs and servers at Monserrate really know what they are doing.

David B, Owner at Monserrate Restaurant Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Thanks for your awesome review! We're all very happy to read your compliments. It sounds like you had a great time dining with us while in Tampa, and we'd be so glad to have you for another meal the next time you're in town. We really appreciate your taking a moment to share some kind words about our restaurant. Yaimara in particular will be really happy to hear this. You're welcome here anytime!

Thanks and best wishes,

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

The hubby and I tried this place on a Friday night because we found a groupon. When we pulled up, I immediately knew we made a good choice since some of the men and women of the TPD were dinning there (cops always know where to eat)
We entered in to what really did feel like you were walking in to a restaurant in South America.
It seemed like most of the guests were regulars and Spanish was the language of choice - I was in love! Authentic cuisine was close at hand!! We were immediately served fries plantain chips by a lovely waitress who attempted to speak with us in Spanish before realizing we were gringos. We ordered a mixed meat platter - LOTS of fried stuff! Pork, pork skin, blood sausage, sausage, yucca - you name it! This entire was $17.95 and really was enough for 3-4 people. We also had arepas which was different then the Argentinian ones that I was used to but still delish. Overall I would go back BUT I
would hold off on the fries stuff and order something straight off the grill.

David B, Owner at Monserrate Restaurant Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Thanks for the great review, Mandi and Eric! I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed your meal and were impressed by our authenticity. I realize you wrote this review last year, but I wanted to reach out and let you know that your feedback is always appreciated. I hope you've had the chance to come back many times since you reviewed us last July. If you've ever got any suggestions as to how we might do better, don't hesitate to get in touch!
Stop by we have many new plates since them
Best wishes,