“Good Food, Great Service and all Downtown Tampa”

Jerk Hut Downtown Cafe
Ranked #357 of 2,477 Restaurants in Tampa
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Found this place while on my last conference in Tampa. I chose it b/c of the reviews. We arrived for lunch around 11:30am and was able to park right in front of the restaurant, which you could tell was blessing because there seemed to be limited parking. Before even entering we were immediately greeted by Jerk Hut employees as my colleagues and I exited our vehicle. Upon entering the restaurant I noticed the atmosphere to be very casual and laid back. Adequate seating. The food is served cafeteria style, but is fresh and very Caribbean. I chose the Jerk Chicken. Between my colleague and her family, we also had the curry goat and barbequed chicken of which they said was good (and they ARE Jamaican). My jerk was great. I ate it with both the sweet and hot sauces. The portion was fantastic and I probably should say I finished my entire plate because they give you enough for two, but it was so good. I'll definitely be back. The only thing that I thought a bit odd was that it's a Jamaican/Caribbean restaurant, but all the servers were Hispanic and spoke Spanish...I thought it was funny, but the older lady that first greeted us was Jamaican. I thought it just added to the uniqueness of the establishment. Oh, and the best part. My entire meal was about $7. Can't beat it!!!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

There are only a few items on the menu, chicken, pork and goat but all three are excellent and very reasonably priced.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband and I walked into Bamboozle Cafe (http://bamboozlecafe.com/index.php/home/menu) to have lunch after realizing that our original destination, L'Eden (http://dine-at-leden.com/) was closed. We waited patiently and after looking over the menu and deciding we didn't feel like waiting any longer for hoity toity slow service, we left. This was the right choice as we found ourselves standing in front of the Jerk Hut and quickly walked inside. We were greeted with a smiling, friendly face (as opposed to being told to sit anywhere and then being told we couldn't sit where we wanted to sit in Bamboozle Cafe) who offered us samples of the delicious food...giving us the welcomed freedom to choose.

My husband had the curried goat and I had a sampling of curried chicken and baked chicken with red sauce. Lemme first explain that my husband is a fan of curry and I'm finding myself feeling quite tired of curry...so I was surprised by how delicious the curry at this restaurant is! I, however, still haven't developed a taste for curried goat and don't expect to.

We were also offered samples of Jamaican punch, which was delicious!!! The food is amazingly delicious, the plantains were just right, and the service was full of awesome! I highly recommend this spot for a bite! My husband recommends the curried goat...I recommend the herbed chicken and red sauce.

Afterward, we got into a conversation with the folks running the restaurant. They were so very friendly and welcoming. In summation, I think perhaps "Jerk Hut" is a more fitting name for the folks working in Bamboozle.

If you find yourself in downtown Tampa and want a friendly, easy-going, and delightfully flavorful lunch or dinner...I very much recommend this restaurant. We will definitely be going back to that very spot again before we leave this town!

Oh, and for the dark beer connoisseur, I highly recommend that you try the Jamaican Dragon Stout. It is deeeeee-licious!!!!

Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

Good oxtail although a bit pricey. Rices and peas are solid but the jerk should be spicier

Reviewed January 22, 2012

With the exception of the homeless people, some of them angry and talking to themselves, this was my favorite eatery. The jerk chicken special was awesome, as were the red beans & rice and the plantains.