“Great New York Style Sandwiches”
Review of TooJay's - CLOSED

TooJay's
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Tampa, Florida
“Great New York Style Sandwiches”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Typical New York style Deli/restaurant with great sandwiches. The pastrami is like New York and the turkey is real turkey.
However the rye bread, as good as it is, is too small to hold the meat. It gives the illusion of an over stuffed sandwich.

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank gerald s

Canada
“:(”
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I love deli food and I really love sandwiches. Toojay's has a huge variety of sandwiches but they were 'out of' the first several I chose....leads me to think the sandwiches arrive at the restaurant prepackaged or are made days in advance. The one that was finally available was not tasty...dryish bread, dryish meat and cheese, minimal flavor. And the key lime pie....what! I LOVE KEY LIME PIE and this is the only place on Florida's west coast that I've had bad pie. The filling and whipped cream were both dry to the point of cracking, and it was totally bland. The waitress was pleasant and there were a lot of others standing around, but even though the restaurant wasn't busy at that time (late afternoon) the food took quite a while to arrive. Go to the Earl of Sandwich instead!

• Visited November 2011
Clearwater, Florida
“It was good”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

My husband had chicken quesadillas and I had the tuna melt. His was really delicious. Mine was okay but not really hot. It took a while and I had to get to work, so I didn't mention it. The temperature is usually a little cool, so bring a jacket. We didn't eat all of our food so we asked for containers to take it. The server, though pleasant, said she didn't have bags to put it in. So we were expected to walk around the International Mall with see through plastic containers that didn't stay closed. We got a bag elsewhere.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank regolg3dance
Tampa, Florida
“The Best Corn Beef!”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

From the culinary experts...Too Jays has the best corn beef in town! I like mine not lean and Tom the manager makes sure it's right. Mondays they have pea soup. After lunch, you can go shopping - it's at International Plaza. Neiman Marcus here we come!

• Visited October 2011
Punta Gorda, Florida
“OK but there must be something better”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

This is a chain of about twenty-five delis throughout Florida. We have visited this location a few times. The food is good, the selection is fine and the service is decent. It just lacks the feel of a real deli. There are no pickles or slaw on the table; the menu doesn't generate any excitement; the rye bread is nothing like the real thing; and maybe the staff is just not sufficiently abrupt.
It probably has something to do with the market … Tampa is not a hotbed of Jewish delis. On the west coast of the state, this is about as close as we have been able to find. We did try a Toojay’s in Vero Beach, but that was not so different from the Tampa experience. At least on the east coast there are plenty of other choices of delis if you’re looking for good rye bread and corned beef. For now, on the west coast, we’ll keep looking.

• Visited September 2011