“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #20 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Clermont, Florida
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I stayed for one night at the Ybor city location. The weekend was St Patricks weekend. The check-in staff was fun and friendly. The management was very outgoing. The room was excellent. I had a king and it had 2 32 inch LCD tv's. The free high speed internet was a plus. The hotel had free wireless that reached out to their courtyard and to their pool area. The breakfast in the morning was good quality for the small area. The pool had plenty of chairs to lounge by the pool. The location was great, just one block from all the action. The bed was very comforatable. I would recommend this location to others and will stay their again when in the area.

• Liked — the quality of the room and the friendly staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Orlando, FL
Reviewed December 11, 2007

This is a very nice, clean, hotel that maintains the standards I've come to expect from a Hilton Garden Inn. However, travelers should be aware that it is not necessarily the best place for a family vacation. We brought our young kids to Tampa to visit Busch Gardens, figuring we'd take them to the Columbia restaurant in Ybor City the night before. While I never felt unsafe, there were a number of homeless people in the area who seemed to find the hotel's lobby area an attractive place to rest.

I went to the lobby early on Sunday morning (5:30) to get some coffee, and a fairly unkempt man with a backpack was sleeping (upright) on the sofa, trying to look as though he was watching TV in front of the fire. This didn't really bother me, as it was cold outside, but I was a little disconcerted by the sight of a large Bowie knife strapped to his leg. Another man who appeared to be homeless and a little strung-out was drinking something amber-colored out of a diet Pepsi bottle.

I didn't expect the clerk to throw them out, but I didn't feel inclined to linger on the sofa next to them, either. While I was pouring my coffee (which the nice clerk brewed for me on request), a couple of inebriated transvestites walked in the door looking to buy or bum cigarettes. They were very friendly, but I was still on guard because of the early hour and the fact that the young desk clerk didn't appear to offer me much protection.

With that said, the hotel's pool facility was great, as was breakfast the next morning. Rooms are clean and quiet. Staff was pleasant and helpful. As the hotel is so close to a prime nightlife zone , I'd definitely stay here again on another trip -- without the kids.

• Liked — Proximity to nightlife and cultural scene
  • Disliked — Vagrants in the lobby
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Louisville, KY
Reviewed April 15, 2007

We stayed here because I had to come to Tampa to have surgery. This hotel offered us a discount through my surgeons office. It was a nice hotel. The room was a bit overcrowded with furniture, but other than that very much a Hilton property.
We did have to pay for parking, which was not expected. There are not ice machines or vending on the first floor. Those were the only drawbacks. Other than that, everyone was very nice and helpful.
We ate at The Columbia our first night and it was a fun experience. I would recommend it even if it was a bit pricey. Good food, fun dancing show!

• Liked — Proximety to everything in Tampa
  • Disliked — Paying for parking
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank peekacho_2000
Texas
Reviewed May 16, 2006

Normally I stay at Hilton Garden Inn's when possible--as they are typcally new and have good service. Not here. HH Diamond, was given smallest room possible, very rude check-in person, not a great area to stay at all. Police station down the street (you know what that means), not a good safe place at all. Dirty room and chairs. Again, I can easily take my biz elsewhere and next time I will. Completely disappointed in staff and attitude.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
11 Thank texex91
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 14, 2006

I had an outstanding stay at this hotel!!! The rooms were large and pretty nice (the pillows were poor). The high speed internet was great and included. The room and bathroom were clean. The breakfast was overpriced and average. The pool area was great. There is also an outdoor seating patio by the lobby that is very nice. I loved the Ybor location - great restaurants, shopping and a trolley all within blocks. If I were a tourist or a business traveler looking for a place with evening activities that you can walk to - this is the perfect location. The staff were FRIENDLY & HELPFUL - every issue I had was resolved promptly and to my satisfaction. My flight was really late arriving and when I walked in I was just beat - they said you look like you need a beer and gave me a complimentary one. I thought this was too nice. The parking was $6 and felt very safe. I would definitely stay at this hotel again and recommend it to friends! A GREAT VALUE!!!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank SheWhoWanders
South Dakota
Reviewed April 7, 2006

This is a nice hotel located in Ybor City. There are plenty of restaurants/bars within 2 blocks of the hotel. I was somewhat disappointed in the rooms based on the previous reviews. There is no in-room safe and the shower pressure was terrible. I also envisioned the "pavillion" area to be more than two coolers, a few bags of chips, and some nail clippers. The staff was terrific, however, and the free transportation to the downtown hotels where my convention was located was very convenient. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank Sheila W
Tualatin, Oregon
Reviewed March 17, 2006

I concur with the review that it's a great hotel in a funky neighborhood. I didn't pay for the lodging; my company did, and it seemed kinda pricey so I might have chosen another place. Also, it may not be the best place to stay if you don't have transportation. But the hotel is very nice, clean, and has a wonderful staff.

The HGI is located on the edge of the Ybor City entertainment district (not really my cup of tea; it appeals for to Gen X/Y) with plenty of restaurants of all types, and a BK and McD's are about a five-minute walk. That means you have lots of options for dining, but if you need something from a grocery, department or drug store, you're pretty much out of luck. You'd need to take a taxi to get anywhere for shopping; fortunately for me, one night when things weren't too busy, a staff member took me to a Walgreen's.

I can't say enough good things about the staff. They were all courteous and helpful. One night, I took a trolley from the Ybor City entertainment district to the St. Pete Times Forum to see a hockey game. While walking to a trolley stop, the same staff member who gave me a ride to Walgreen's saw me and picked me up so I wouldn't have to wait for a trolley back to Ybor City.

If you have to stay for a night or a couple of weeks, and you have the $$$, HGI is terrific. Just make sure you have your car or a rental car.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business