“good location, average rooms”

Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Ybor Historic District
Ranked #20 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
SF
“good location, average rooms”
Reviewed May 15, 2011

located directly in ybor historic district. quiet hotel with good breakfast and a nice pool and fitness area.
the rooms are large but unfortunately ours was not exactly the cleanliest of all.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Albany, NY
Reviewed February 1, 2011

The hotel is a typical Hilton Garden Inn... if you've stayed in one, they're pretty consistent. Some of the rooms have windows that open, which has it's plusses and minuses. Stay on the even side and there is a lot of traffic noise.
The cleaning isn't as good as I've seen at other Hilton Garden Inn's... but it's not bad. They forget quite often to restock, but you just need to get supplies from the front desk.
There are a lot of restaurants and bars within walking distance, but ask the front desk. There are bad areas of the city and walking alone is not recommended at times. Ybor city used to be more popular, but the city has been hit by the ecomony and there are a lot of closed stores and restaurants.
The hotel is pricy and on top of that, they charge $9 a night for parking. Not sure its worth what you pay for a stay. We negotiated a rate because we had a group so that helped a little.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Brooksville, Florida
Reviewed January 31, 2011

What a Truely wonderful stay at this Hilton.. They helped me with directions, places for dinner, even provided transportation when I was running late for an appointment. Breakfast in the morning better than any breakfast I could have made at home. Staff in dining area recommended the waffles and made sure they were at my table as soon as ready.. This hotel truely must have great management in place, as that is my profession, and I'm always aware of a well trained team. Keep up the good work Hilton Ybor, I'm directing all my clients and friends your way!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JAYJAY4821
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Husband and I stayed at this hotel in October 2010 and were pleased overall with the hotel quality and location - attractive, clean, nice rooms and short walk to a lot of good restaurants in Ybor City. Our only complaint was with the new adjustable mattresses Hilton Garden Inns are using. When we decided to turn in for the night, I discovered that the mattress had deflated where I had been sitting to watch TV and read and didn't reinflate when I got up. On lying upon it, the dent became a trench and made for an uncomfortable night's sleep. By the time we left the next morning, two hours after we got up, the mattress had reinflated to the point where it looked fairly normal and I'm sure it looked okay to housekeeping. The manager was most apologetic and refunded the night's stay. I suspected at the time Hilton had been sold a bill of goods on those mattresses and a subsequent stay at another HGI confirmed my suspicion. Considering all the problems hotels have in keeping air conditioning, shower heads, drains, lamps, etc., in working order, it doesn't seem like a good idea to add yet another item that requires maintenance. Out of 7 HGIs we've stayed in with the adjustable mattresses, 2 have had "broken" mattresses and one had a mattress that "wheezed" on both sides but didn't deflate. It's probably a good idea to test the mattresses on checking in rather than waiting till late at night when you don't feel like packing up and moving, though that's an aggravation I don't need and am reconsidering the HGI brand altogether. The mattresses are okay (though not as great as advertised, we don't think) when they're working properly but miserable when they spring a leak. I have read several other complaints about the mattresses in the last couple of days.

Other than that, this was a very good hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Riverview, Florida
Reviewed December 17, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for one night pre-cruise. It is very close to the cruise port and there is a free shuttle to take you there. Cost of taxi from airport to hotel was $25 and the ride was about 20 minutes, I think. I cannot say enough about this hotel. It was clean, quiet, and the hotel staff was helpful and friendly. The bed was extremely comfortable. I paid about $120 per night and booked directly with the hotel. While at this hotel, we walked to the Columbia Restaurant for lunch and I would highly recommend that experience. The front desk will also give you a menu to order from a pizza place that will deliver directly to your room. We did that too and it was good. This hotel is a gem!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debra W
Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed October 28, 2010

This is a very nice hotel. I will say that they could do something about their sound proofing. My son and I got in after midnight and their were people still milling around in the hallways. They were rather loud. and I was extremely tired. I didn't say anything to anyone but I know I should have. (After getting up in the morning I found out there was a group from New Orleans in to see the Tampa Bay / New Orleans game and unfortantly for me they were on our floor.) The beds were very nice and easy on the backs. The shower was nice but not a lot of water pressure. The hotel was very clean as was the room. The location for us was just right as we were going on a cruise the next day so we were very close to the port and they offered a free shuttle service to the port. However, please know that they do not have a shuttle service that runs from the airport to their hotel and the taxi services that run from the airport to the hotel cost my son and I $30.00. But again the price was a bit much for just a place to sleep for 8 hours. They do have a wonderful breakfast buffet that is NOT free. But it is very good. And the staff there is very nice. If you are taking a cruise and are going to be around the Tampa area for a couple of days I would suggest this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Here for conference at Tampa Convention center- complementary shuttle and nearby trolley- helped with transportation. Great staff!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business