“Ideal first night stay”

Ranked #65 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Ideal first night stay”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed here the first night after flying into Tampa. It was close enough to the airport for a first night (about 10 mins drive), but far enough away from the airport noise. There are lots of parking spaces, staff were helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean and had coffee making facilities. Breakfast was adequate and re-stocked constantly. Overall, an ideal place to stay near Tampa airport.

1 Thank Missy301

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Melksham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed here after arriving at Tampa International after a flight from the UK. The Hotel is very convenient for the airport and the complementary mini bus picked us up within 10 minutes of my telephone request. The young lady on the reception was welcoming and helpful though technically she did not acknowledge my Platinum Priority Club membership. The reception area was OK but as others have mentioned the rooms and hallways are in need of renovation. We had planned to eat at the Bahama Breeze next door but had not realised that it was Mothers Day in the US and the place was heaving. We asked reception for an alternative and a Pizza delivery business was recommended (we had not picked up are car at this point). We were also directed to a small convenience store just down the road from the hotel where we picked up a bottle of wine and some beer. The Pizza was delivered to our room with 20 minutes of ordering and it was one of the best Pizza's I have ever tasted though I would not recommend the garlic bread as I think most Europeans would consider it lacking in garlic.Next morning the breakfast was of very good quality with the elderly lady who looked after the breakfast room very attentive in ensuring the buffet was well stocked. Overall I would say that the hotel is in an excellent position in relation to the airport and the staff are very good however due to the generally poor state of the decor I personally would not stay longer than one night. If however I flow into Tampa again I would have no hesitation in staying here for one night due to its convenience and excellent staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a waterside room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Empcom,

Thank you for being a Platinum member and thank you for your detailed review. We appreciate your compliments regarding our staff and location.

However, please accept our sincerest apologies if the hotel's overall aesthetics fell below your standards. We will certainly keep your comments in mind when making future renovations to our property.

As a Platinum member, your patronage to our hotel is very important and we all hope that you will give us the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wauconda, Illinois, United States
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Nice location by the water, friendly staff, nice breakfast. Shuttle bus was prompt and very friendly drivers. I agree with others that aesthetically it could use some help - but the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and it was quiet. It was easy to walk next door to Bahama Breeze for dinner

Room Tip: Room 111 was at the end - so very quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Plainfield, Illinois
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I am a Platinum member of Holiday Inn and I have written only 2 other reviews. I used points to pay for 2 nights (after making the reservation one hour before check-in) not expecting anything other than another hotel stay; I was wrong! Charles works the desk at night. He is genuinely friendly, greeted me, acknowledged my membership and gave me my room. I made a room change because I wanted a fridge and microwave. What prompted me to write this is that the inside of both were spotless so my radar went up looking for a reason not to write this and I couldn't find one. The free breakfast was fresh, the maids are nice and my room was very clean and neat. The great thing is that this hotel has huge halls and all that carpet absorbs the noise so it's super quite. It has a great view of Tampa Bay too...enjoy and tell Charles hello!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a 'fridge.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Staff: was excellent and very helpful. They answered all the questions I had about the area and the shuttle service.

View of water: Excellent.

Value: For the price this place is not bad.

Renovations Recommendation: Please start with changing the carpet. That will make a HUGE difference. The carpet looked dirty. The place itself was fine but it just had this dingy look. The bathroom will be next. Even though the whole bathroom was ok, part of the shower tub looked very worn and not very welcoming.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I can't say enough great things about our stay. I do agree with the other guests who have mentioned that aesthetically the property could use some updates. BUT, the dated furnishings in no way influenced or diminished the quality of our overall stay. My family & I have stayed in hotels across the United States. I can say without ANY reservation that the level of customer service we received from the manager, Scott Waggoner and the front desk agent, Desiree Vasquez met and exceeded the level of customer service I have received at some 5 star hotels. The entire staff was extremely helpful with EVERYTHING pertaining to our stay. But, Desiree went over and beyond the call of duty to help us navigate through Tampa and find reasonable restaurants, inexpensive local attractions, and most importantly Walmart! The hotel is inexpensive. The complimentary breakfast each morning includes such a large assortment of foods any guest should find something to accommodate their diet. The hotel is conveniently located to everything. The ONLY negative thing I can say about the hotel is that there isn't a fridge or microwave in the room. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Tampa. I will certainly book this hotel whenever I'm in the area.

Room Tip: I enjoyed having a room overlooking the water. It was beautiful to fall asleep and wake up to that v...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sarasota
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Hotel was a little dated but room was clean and booked hotel for one night because I had an early flight in the morning and was able to leave my car there for a week and take the hotel shuttle to and from the airport. Breakfast was fine and would book again to use the fly park and stay rates that the hotel offers.