“Amazing views and really easy drive to the airport.”

Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island
Ranked #59 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed January 6, 2013

After a couple of weeks in Ft. Myers Beach, we needed a hotel for one night before flying out of Tampa to head home. Our room was very comfortable, the front desk staff was friendly and helpful, and the free breakfast was wonderful, with omelets, bacon, and pancakes. We asked for a late checkout, since our flight didn't leave until late afternoon, and were accomodated with no problem. We had researched the hotel in advance and knew it was fairly isolated, so ate before we arrived, but there were take-out menus under our door when we arrived from restaurants offering free delivery. There was a coffee maker in the room.

This hotel was an easy 5 minute drive to the airport - and its location on the causeway can't be beat for views of the water! A great place to stay:)

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the water, rather than the parking lot. Much better views.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelTrina0426

Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hotel is so far away from anything it is a Joke. I knew the Minute our shuttle driver had dropped us off this was a bad place. Then the Front Desk people are so very Rude will not even call you a Taxi or give you any sort of Information. No ATM on site. Food Horrible in the Morning. Room OK but Stay some where else if you are going on A Cruise. They claim they have Free Transportaion to Cruise Lines this Is Not True. Do not believe them and then when They Lie they act like it Is your Fault .. Never Again at this Holiday Inn.. Stay away Be warned..

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank eboiowamcross
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear eboiowamcross,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. I am sorry you found the level of service you received less than satisfactory and regret our hotel did not live up your expectations. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a candid feedback.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed here one night before a cruise leaving from Port of Tampa. I booked their "cruise package" that provides a shuttle service to and from the airport, to and from the port, parking, and a suite. The amount I paid for the room is what I would have paid for shuttle service for my family of 5.

We arrived at TPA and I called the hotel for shuttle pick up when we arrived in baggage claim. He arrived within 15 minutes. The hotel is only minutes from the airport and in a beautiful location although secluded. Bahama Breeze is next door, but there is nothing else in walking distance.

When we checked in, the front desk person asked us when we'd like the shuttle to take us to the ship. With another family with us, I was happy to see that the hotel made sure there was enough space to accommodate all of us and others at the hotel with 2 shuttle vans waiting on time for us. Other hotels I've stayed at before a cruise has only had one van and half the hotel going to the port. You usually have to wait all morning in line for the van to go back and forth.

The room was small, but comfortable with 2 double beds and a sofa bed. We had a nice view, looking out at the bridge. We were able to see dolphin in the intercoastal waters right out of our window. My kids attempted to use the pool but it was too cold as it was not heated and no hot tub. Breakfast was included in the morning was good. I was surprised at the amount of choices available. My kids liked the pancake machine.

Thank you for a nice stay.

Room Tip: our ground floor room was noisy in the morning being close to the breakfast area
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was impressed with the cleanliness of the room and the friendliness of the staff. The free hot breakfast was great! There was quite a variety to choose from and the seating area offered wonderful views of the bay. We took our breakfast outside next to the pool to enjoy the great weather and views. The best part of staying here is the Bahama Breeze is right next door - within walking distance.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Great location-Great view- nice rooms but the showers need to be redone. 5 min from Tampa airport-Overlooking the Bay but the showers are cruddy. can never understand why a top notch place doesn't do just a little more to be excellent

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I complained about a problem I experienced at this property and was told the Manager would return my call but he never did. Customer service also advised the Manager would make a reimbursement and he never did. Not customer driven to even return several phone calls. Do not believe I will stay at this property again while in the Tampa area even though it is the least expensive hotel in the chain. Maybe they are low priced as they don not provide customer service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Jay C,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Tampa, FL.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Anyone who looks at my past reviews will know I rarely post a negative review, and even when I do, I try to find some positives.
Ok, so here goes. We have stayed at this hotel in the past (probably at least 4 or 5 years ago) and never had any problems. This place has really gone downhill. Maybe they need a complete rehab?
The staff was just so-so. Not rude, but not really interested in the people staying there, in an obvious way. The morning staff at the breakfast area seemed to be happy to be there, but front desk and house keepers, not so much.
The price was right, and my one positive is I got what I paid for. ($63/night advance purchase). I felt this was a good deal, having stayed here in the past.
My one huge complaint/problem: THE NOISE!! Oh my gosh, the noise! We were in room 213, and I kid you not, I thought there was either a bowling alley above us or there were thunderstorms IN the building. (No thunderstroms anywhere, BTW).
At first the noises perplexed me. It was off and on, all the time, at any time of the day- no real pattern. I finally called the front desk, and they acted like I was crazy, that there were no noises, and no one else had EVER complained about these noises I was descirbing. (I can see from other reviews here that is not true).
They said they would "check it out", ya right. So we went up to the third floor and checked ourselves. It seems the carts that housekeeping and maintenence use, with their wheels on the non carpeted floors mimick the sounds of a bowling alley. STRIKE! So there we had it. Between that and the highway noise, we were toast. (I do not blame the hotel for the highway noise- I knew the hotel was on the highway before I booked- but add that to the bowling alley and forget about it).
I would not stay here again if it were free.
The pool never looked really clean (and therefor we never did use it).
The free breakfast is fine- it is what it is. It's fine for a couple days but then you're willing to pay for a breakfast somewhere after the first couple days. Like I said, the lady running that area was friendly and nice. The parents who don't watch their kids in that area should be asked to leave, though.
The room was small but did the trick. I was hoping for an upgrade from my Priority Club Visa but none were available (not the hotel's fault). Just chance.
The beds were not comfortable, kind of old and saggy.
Oh, here's the positive- you can walk to Bahama Breeze from the hotel and have a GREAT meal. We sat at the bar and ended up spending the night talking to a very cool ex pro NFL player.

Room Tip: Tip for a good room: choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple