“Horrible hotel”

Ranked #132 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Lexington, Kentucky
“Horrible hotel”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a cruise and it was easily the worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

The first problem we encountered was the bathroom. The toilet stopped up and stayed that way for several hours. Since we had traveled for some time, had everything unpacked, and our daughter was already asleep, moving wasn't really a viable option. We stayed there for 2 days and it was just a bad experience all around. The shuttle was over packed and they tried to get us to go 4 hours before our cruise ship actually started boarding. The shower was broken and was spraying water out of the actual handle that controlled the heat and such, as well as the nozzle for controlling shower or bath.

For the price they were asking, it was definitely not even close to being worth it. The one bright spot was the front desk clerk who was very helpful, but even he couldn't do much for the other staff who actually were supposed to do the work. My guess is the maintenance guy was simply swamped with all the other problems a hotel of this age would have.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel if you want a good room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed February 15, 2013

There were five os us staying overnight to catch our cruise ship in the morning. We had to wait for the airport shuttle for 2-1/2 hours. Everytime we called the hotel to find out where the shuttle was we were told it was on its way. The staff was rude, the rooms were dirty, there were about 30 of us signed up for the 10am shuttle to the port on one bus that held 10 people. I would never stay there again and I would not recommend it to anyone. We paid $92 for one night of nothing but noise and dirt. They would not refund our money because we paid in advance. Please do no stay there ever.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Anywhere else but here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have never before in my life left a hotel and refused to stay after arriving with a confirmed reservation (I have checked out early, but never walked away)... This place has the honor of popping my "run away from the scary hotel cherry." Due to a grounded flight, my company booked me here (this choice hotels is their default for travel bookings: I stay in them > 50 nights/year). I have stayed in hotels across the USA and around the world, and this one took the cake. Aside from the usual things my company avoids (outside access to rooms, "outbuildings"), there were other additions to the "ick" factor: Room numbers are no legible until you walk up fairly close to the building (I drove around the dark back building twice to find my room, and then had to walk through a dark "tunnel" to get to the staircase, back through a second-story outdoor hallway to get to my corner room: I would have been better off parking around the other side of the building. But the real kicker was the group of shirtless hoodlums barbecuing over an open flame outside the door to their room on the first story, with half their bedroom furniture moved out of their room to provide seating with music blasting at 10pm. So, I went down to refuse the room. And while I was waiting a pair of "working girls" got in line behind me to get a room. While I waited, I read their notice about deposits required for "cash payments" for rooms, and policy regarding return of said cash. The receptionist did not bat an eye when I said I couldn't stay there, and said she would cancel the reservation. I am sure this happens regularly. Tonight I was not the only one- another woman also checked out when she saw her room- I met her checking in at my the alternate Comfort Suites on West Waters Ave- for only $15 more for the night... (from where I type this from the comfort of my perfectly adequate room, which I arrived in via elevator, and and indoor hallway). I am surprised that the Comfort Inn hotel manages to maintain its relationship with the chain- it is far below what I have come to expect as their standards. And at $85.12/night (with tax), I am surprised anyone stays there- my average at CI hotels around the country is <$70 (higher prices are reserved for Comfort Inn & Suites, or Comfort Suites, or newly updated locations). Stayed at a comfort in 20 min away in St. Pete last night for $60, and it was significantly nicer.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nkarman
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed at this hotel recently. No frills but within walking distance to Raymond James Stadium. Less than a mile and you can save on parking costs. Room was somewhat clean but needs some TLC. Bathroom could use some attention too. But all in all a good stay. The free breakfast was the Choice Hotels standard with many choices. A good way to get your day off to a good start. Many nearby restaurants. WOuld stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Worst place I have ever stayed! they are very unorganized with their shuttle service and their front desk serice. They say that they offer rides to and from the airport, ship terminals, and anywhere within a 3 mile radius. However they can never seem to get you to your destination on time. One couple was told they would be picked up from Walmart in 10 minutes and was left waiting for an hour. We were scheduled for the 12:00 shuttle to the cruise port and they had promised too many people the same thing so we didn't leave until 1:00pm... We had to sit on the floor of the van because there were no seats left.Their shuttle vans are falling apart i.e. seat belts are broken, seats are broken. The woman at the front desk Cathie is very rude and does not allow you to speak when you are trying to ask her questions. The rooms are small and dirty, way overpriced! It is more like a cheap motel than a comfort inn. The bathrooms are dirty and stained, the tvs don't work or come in very staticy and I was surprised there were no bed bugs. The only nice thing about this place is the pool, and its proximity to places such as airport, restaurants, etc. other than that i would rather sleep in a tent than come back to this place.

• Stayed January 2013
Florida
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel because of its proximity to Raymond James Stadium, it is a brief walk away. Our room was in the 700 building which must have been recently renovated. The room was big, bright and clean. The only negative I could think of was the poor reception on the television's lower channels. The room was a quasi kitchenette so it had a small refrigerator, microwave and separate sink. Check in was a breeze even though there was a line when we got there. The wifi worked without a hitch, strong signal in our room. Overall a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank robh693
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Unfortunately, I stayed here many times on business over the past year as it was handy to where I needed to go. If all you need is a bed - then this might fit you bill. The reasons I stayed were the smoking availability and (supposed) WiFi so I could complete business in my room.
The first few times there was always something broken, the rooms were dirty and there were large cigarette burns on the comforter and furniture. They did a remodeling and the cleanliness did improve a bit (or maybe they just put in lower wattage lighting so you couldn't see the grunge.
The internet - or lack of internet has always been a major problem here - but the staff is well versed in their "we're sorry for the inconvenience" canned line.
One night I heard a 'THUMP' and woke up with the headboard on top of me ! ! "We're sorry for the inconvenience"
This last visit was absolutely no different - absolutely NO INTERNET at all. The front desk guy tried to tell me it was my equipment and then became very condescending in attitude.
I am in Tampa several times a month - and for convenience always stayer at this place. This last time I checked out at 9:00 PM
I'll be back in Tampa this weekend - but it sure won't be at this place

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business