“I'd never stay here again.”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #95 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed December 21, 2010

First of all, they don't make it quite clear but this is a MOTEL, not a HOTEL. All of the rooms are on the outside of the " hotel " facing a very busy street or the pool area in the back. Upon entering, we found the lobby very nice and everyone we met that worked the front desk was pleasant. They then give you a map of the motel, as the set up is so bizarre that you actually do need one to find your room. We passed a little computer center that let us go online and print a document. It wasn't very clean or tidy, but served it's purpose.

The room itself seemed clean, except for the carpet. It wasn't horrible, but had a couple of stains and would just be better off being replaced. I should mention we INSTANTLY noticed an overwhelming smell of commercial grade disinfectant spray. It was so strong that we could still smell it pretty good upon leaving the next day at 11am. Bleh. Our room happened to be on the side facing a very busy, main street. If you're unfortunate enough to be on that side of the hotel, you'll hear cars and trucks alllll night and day. The temperature in the room was fine, but I had to keep the AC unit on high all night just to kill some of the noise. It was a chilly night here in Florida and we could feel the cold air rushing in through the sides and under the door. ( That actually ended up helping, since we had to use the heat all night ) The tv got about 10 channels, 4 of which are sports. It was a decent size, but the picture quality wasn't very good. The bathroom is too small, but tolerable. The pool area actually looked quite nice, but it was too cold for us to try it out. There's no hot tub. =( The breakfast area is in the " hotel " part of the motel and is large and clean. They had a very good selection of food and a friendly staff.

I got this room free through points on my credit card, but I believe the going rate is $79. If I had paid $79, I would have left 15mins after getting to my room and asked for my money back.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 10, 2010

II stayed here because I had an exam on USF campus the next morning. When I arrived check in was a breeze and the front desk was helpful, pointing me to a place I could freshen up. I asked for a late check out and the front desk gave me an extra hour right away, with the option of calling in the morning to see if a later check out was available, I only needed an extra hour so didn’t call in the morning.
I was in a king bed room and the room was nice and clean, coming with a refrigerator and a microwave. There is a desk in the room but there was nowhere at the desk to plug anything in. I had to plug my laptop in by the sink and stretch the cord to reach the desk. The bathroom was small, which surprised me for a king bed since most other hotels enlarge the bathroom when there is only a king sized bed, regardless if the room is an ADA room or not (this was not an ADA room).
When I first laid down in bed I sunk in and seriously contemplated calling for a different room because I didn’t think I would sleep well in that bed. But I didn’t just because I had already unpacked. I ended up sleeping well and was pleasantly surprised and thankful since I had the exam in the morning. Thankfully there was a plug in near the bed and I was able to charge my phone next to the bed. I did wake up a few times during the night because you can hear people outside as they walk up and down and go to their cars and go to their rooms.
I tried calling for a wakeup call, but never reached the front desk when I called. I set the alarm (which failed to go off because I set it for pm instead of am, which is why I always call for a wakeup call). I ended up using my cell phone alarm, thank goodness!
The breakfast was great. It was a full breakfast, not just a continental breakfast. I was there early so there weren’t too many people there.
The biggest negative was that my room did not have a safe, and when I went to the front desk to place some personal items in the hotel safe the front desk said that all rooms had a safe, she tried calling maintenance to get a safe put in my room, but they never answered. She offered to hold my items at the front desk, but I wasn’t sure if she would still be there when I came back and didn’t feel comfortable with my items out in the open like that.
Overall this was a pricey room because it was across from USF and near Bush gardens. I paid near $100 for the room and would have expected a little more of the standard amenities ie: wake up call, in room safe or hotel safe, and a place to plug in my computer. I probably won’t stay at this hotel again, but I would recommend it if you want to be close to things, and if you call the front desk or go to the front desk right away with problems, it seemed like they would fix them eventually

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2010

What an awesome time we had staying at the Clarion. The staff was wonderful. The rooms were clean. The breakfast buffet was well run and way more then just toast and coffee. They had fresh fruit, fresh waffles, eggs, bacon, brand name cereal. Just about anything you could imagine. Also, one night we wanted to have a little party at the pool with some friends from the area and they were great about letting us have pizza delivered poolside and our friends kids using the pool.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2010

MY family stayed here andhad a wonderful time.. The hotel employees were very friendly, the room was clean and the breakfast was hot and fresh, we spent most of the day at the pool which was great! THE KIDS LOVED THE PLAY AREA THE MOST!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I've stayed here a few times and I'm not sure how some of the previous reviews state this place is in a "BAD" location?? It's on one of the main streets of Tampa and right around the corner from Busch Gardens. There are a lot of places to eat within walking distance. (TGIF, Chilis, Jasons Deli, Five Guys, a great Pizza Place called Broadway in Plaza across the street and a First Watch that serves excellent breakfast and lunch) It offers a large pool and a kiddie pool with a pirate ship for the kids to play on and some mini slides which isn't shown in their photos. I never leave reviews about a place but felt it necessary this time because of the previous ones I read. I'm not a hard person to please unlike maybe some previous reviewers. As long as my kids had fun, the rooms offered a nice comfy bed to sleep in after a long day, refrigerator/microwave was in the room which was unexpected, hot shower and TV I'm all set. My room did not smell and appeared clean. Room was on the pool side and I did not hear any pool noise but it wasn't very busy when we stayed. The breakfast was free, but not very good. I don't expect much of anything when it's FREE. We ate out the following day at First Watch across the street. The lounge was not open when we were there. So if looking or needing a nice cold beverage, call and make sure it's open. I'm a middle class citizen and have stayed in high end to low end Hotels. I'd say this place met my standards of a comfortable & safe place for my family to stay and we'll be back!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank borninnaples
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Stayed with my children to go to Busch Gardens, Adventure Island and Mosi. It was convienent to all of these and had a shuttle to get us there! We booked because the rate was very good in the area. It had two great pools an adult and a childrens which was very nice and was landscaped nicely. They also offered a complimentary breakfast this was an added plus while on vacation. The room was clean and for the rate what we expected. The mall was across the street which helped when it did rain. It was a great find. Family enjoyed this very much before heading back to school.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank VacationJim1
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Purpose of visit was to enjoy time with Grandkids ages 3,7 and 11. Site offers game room, lounge, etc. No game room (it rained 2 nights), lounge was small bar.....room was small, dirty and saw many roaches, bugs and beds were not clean. Area wasn't that safe. Bathrooms were old (stained tubs, toilets, shower curtains). Felt like I was at a rest-stop motel.
Was not worth the money (wasn't cheap either).
Please change your website - you have a "kiddy pool" for the young kids and that's it.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family