“You get what you pay for”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #88 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
BONITA SPRINGS
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We stayed at the Clarion for an overnight Busch Gardens trip last week-end. I was happy with my AAA rate of about $55 for a Saturday, holiday night stay for 3 of us.

Staff was friendly and polite.

It was too cold for the pools, which were very pretty (an adult pool and another play area with the pirate ship).

The place is huge, and we definitely stayed in a room yet to be renovated. It was dated, but I thought the room was clean. I hope when they renovate, they will make the corrections (no number on the outside of the room, the curtains had moth holes that gave us a lovely light show in the morning). There were good towels and toiletries, and when my husband went to the front desk, he received other complementary stuff (toothpaste, shave cream, toothbrushes). We were placed in the back of the hotel, with ample parking (before cars were there it was a little scary).

The room had an HBO book which was strange since we did not have HBO, or many channels.

Breakfast was also a little different than most chains. At check-in we were given a voucher. We needed to give the voucher to the server who then gave us the hot foods (powdered scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes and/or grits). We could help ourselves to the cold foods (breads, fruit, cereals, coffee and juices). Plates were real, i.e., not disposable. It reminded me a little of dormitory life (over 30 years ago, same style).

On Sunday morning when we were checking out, there must have been some issue where they were dealing with the local police and needed to discuss matters with housekeeping. I think that may have been a final issue with my family, who prefer not to be concerned that they could be in the line of fire. If I could give a suggestion to management, it would be to take any discussions with police in an office out of view of the guests, and perhaps, interview of the employees in a discreet manner rather than going in the middle of the hotel.

I was told by my family to go a little higher in selecting the accommodations, but I would go back.

My suggestions:

1. Since many guests probably use the place to go to Busch Gardens, allow for an early registration (they do not need to give a room, but allow parking) and then offer a shuttle van. At $15 a day parking, this would be an extra amenity well enjoyed.

2. Set up a policy for dealing with disturbance so that it is not apparent to guests (making them disturbed).

3. Work on that renovation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Nancy V, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We are in the process of renovations and purchasing a van for shuttle service to and from Busch Gardens. We do hope that you stay with us again once our renovations are completed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed January 22, 2014

we went to Tampa for the weekend to go to Busch gardens. looked like a nice hotel to stay in and close to Busch gardens. I was wrong I should of stayed at a cheaper hotel it would of probably been better and saved me some money. This hotel is is out dated and to make it all worse they ran my card twice and saying it declined on the second time. Made us use my girlfriends card and instead. come to find out my card actually did go through and had my money unavailable for me to use for the weekend we had planned. horrible customer service promised money would be available within the hour after they realized they were in the wrong. and that was a LIE. will never stay at one of these hotels again especially this one. would rather stay at a cheaper hotel.I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS GARBAGE OF A HOTEL. To top it off i woke up to use the restroom in the morning and could not get the lights to work probably a way to save electricity shut the power off at night while you sleep.

Room Tip: choose another hotel save some money this place is not what it seems in the pictures.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nancy V, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for your review about your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback and sharing your experience while being our guest. I am truly sorry we did not meet your expectations. We will further look into these issues and address them with our staff. Thank you for being our guest.
Crawfordville, Florida
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stopped in on Dec. 13, 2013 w/o reservations around 6 p.m. We needed three rooms and they were able to accommodate us. My son-in-law and daughter had a gift card to their affiliated hotel chain, but they wouldn't honor it. They said new owners were taking over and the gift card couldn't be accepted yet. While that was EXTREMELY disappointing, they did give us all a slightly discounted room rate. Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were aged a bit, but updating was coming. They were clean and comfortable, on the ground floor facing the pools and courtyard. They had events in their conference room both Friday night and Saturday, but none really disturbed us. Ice machines were a little spaced out, but exercise is good. Breakfast was pretty good as a whole. It wasn't AUCE buffet as they served the hot food portions, but it was enough. We'd stay here again, but would confirm with reservations first.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Nancy V, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
We certainly appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Thank you for being our guest and sharing your experience. Guest feedback is most important. We look forward to having you stay with us again and we hope you enjoy the new renovations.
Ontario
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Spent 5 nights at the Clarion recently. Lobby area & pool area are nice. Loved the heated pool with lots of places to sit...really relaxing! Breakfast buffet was okay. Same basic food everyday (sausages, eggs, potatoes, yogurt, toast, tinned fruit, muffins) but it tasted okay and saved having to go out & buy breakfast. The staff serving the food were very friendly & accommodating.
The rooms, well, were dated & grubby in places. Sheets were clean & beds were made everyday. Toilet dripped/ ran throughout the night. Air conditioner worked well, as did shower, tv & wifi. Floor was kind of dirty in the corners. Great location, good restaurants across the street to go to for supper.
For the price ($59/night) I felt you got what you paid for.
If the management does choose to do renovations in 2014 (as earlier stated) I would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2014
Nancy V, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, guest feedback is extremely important to our future success. We are pleased that you enjoyed the amenities that we had to offer. The renovations are scheduled to start this month, so we look forward to seeing you again.
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

You definetly get what you pay for. Will not be coming back on our next visit to tampa. Hotel is in serious need of a real makeover. We were placed in a smoking room because "everything else was booked". Once we arrived to the empty parking lot we noticed that at least half the rooms were empty. Still are the next morning. Shower was dirty. Blankets were covered in burn holes. My daughter was afraid to use the ice because of the dirt from inside the ice machine. The matresses were horribly uncomfortable. The chair was stained with too many un recognizable colors to even try to understand. The pool needed to be brushed and vacuumed. I realize I am rambling alot about negatives but it seems the only positive I have is that the roof was in tact and we were protected from the elements. Word of advice, until you see this place under construction due to remodel, spend the extra $25 and stay somewhere nicer.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Nancy V, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Clarion Hotel & Conference Center. Guest feedback is incredibly important. We are terribly sorry you were unhappy with your guest room. We wanted you to know that the hotel will be undergoing renovations starting in January and we hope that you will give us another try after they are completed.
Cambridge, New Zealand
Reviewed December 14, 2013

arrived and all looked good at front desk, but as we walked through the place to our room, walls needed painting, stairs were disgusting, door to room wasnt the best, but when we got in room it seemed OK until we realised the bathroom floor had years of grime in corners.
Place gave us the shivers.
If your after a cheap and dirty place to stay this is it.
Got back from our day trip and no-one had serviced the room-they just gave us new towels, no really good reason or opology to correct the error.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank grantwoakfields
Sandra H, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
We sincerely apologize you were dissatisfied with your stay. Thank you for alerting us to these issues. We just wanted to take a moment to let you know that the hotel will be undergoing major renovations in 2014, so please consider us again once they are completed.
Winterville, Georgia
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stay in this hotel every time I am in Tampa. The staff is always great and courteous. The breakfast is wonderful and its not just juice and donuts. The hotel is always clean. Lots of great choices for lunch and dinner as well. The hotel is not over priced. It is worth every penny.

Room Tip: The Poolside rooms are the best.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family