“Great stay, refreshing and relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #85 of 161 Hotels in Tampa
Tampa, Florida
“Great stay, refreshing and relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here. It's clean and neat surroundings, make you feel comfortable to stay here. I have recommended this hotel to many friends and family. I highly recommend this to many. The parking is great and lots of spacing. The pool area is fun and exciting for family and friends, especially for your kids. I especially love the king size suites with the jacuzzi tub, microwaves, cable television, relaxing chair and desk and table for your lap top if need be and courtesy wi-fi. I had a wonderful time, take my advise you would love your stay here, I recommend the next time you are looking for a great hotel for your stay with family, look no further, here is where to come- Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Fowler Av., Tampa, Fl.

Room Tip: "King Size Suites are the best choice"
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Melbourne Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My first impressions were not good ones, unfortunately. While I approached the check-in counter, a seemingly homeless man rode his bike into the lobby and attempted to use my 12 yr. old niece’s phone to “google something”. He was acting strangely and I asked him to leave us alone, and I let the front desk clerk know that the man was bothering us. The clerk politely asked the man to leave, which he did. Second impression: the hotel did not have my reservation. I booked/pre-paid in advance through Book-It.com at the reduced rate of $55/night, which was less than advertised on ChoiceHotels.com, and also less than my friend paid through Expedia ($69/night). The hotel asked me to call Book-It.com and I was on hold for (OMG!) 28 minutes (I know,’ you get what you pay for’ comes to mind…) only to find out the Clarion had the reservation under my first name (who does that??). So after the check in drama, we checked into our rooms. Rooms: about what you’d see in a cut rate hotel (like Motel 6). We were prepared, based on previous reviews. Breakfast: the lady behind the counter serving cafeteria style is not about to give you extra sausage, even if you don’t want the potato and eggs. But, I guess, it’s included, so deal with it. Location: the entire location surrounding Busch Gardens and USF has seen better days, and I would characterize it as sketchy. However, there are numerous choice for dinner and lunch from sub shops to casual dining, and the proximity to Busch Gardens and Adventure Island is great. So if I could give 2.5 stars, I would.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
tampa florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Its a 50$ a night hotel . Its not the Ritz but its clean and the service is friendly. The pool area is wonderful for kids and adults. Highly recommend as a good value. It is very close to USF and has plenty of parking. The Chinese buffet next door isn't bad and is inexpensive.

Room Tip: Second floor in back.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Live Oak, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

we have enjoyed staying at this hotel,have stayed here severial times and always greated with a smile and always been very helpful with anything we have ever needed. There is no other motel in Tampa that we would ever stay in but yours.

Room Tip: This is hard to choose because every room that we have stayed in has been very nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've stayed at Clarion Hotels many times in the past and been pleased. They're typically clean, efficient and usually offer a nice breakfast. So when I booked this hotel for a short vacation, I was surprised at the price. It seemed really low, but the pictures online showed a beautiful pool.

That was one of the only high points.

When we walked into the lobby to check in, it was dated but pleasant enough. There was one person at the front desk and she was a delight. (I believe her name was Debra?) She handled check-ins, the phone and maintenance all without missing a beat. Then we went to our rooms. (I had a group and we had two rooms.)

The property is setup like a motel and as we went up the stairs, there was a young man at the top of the stairs, hanging out with a phone and smoking. As we got onto the balcony, there were two other young men at the top of the stairs at each end of that section of the hotel. They were all talking on their phones, smoking and hanging out. I work in law enforcement and knew we were being "cased." As I walked by each of them, with my cell phone out, pretending to look for a signal, I attempted to take their pictures. Each one carefully evaded my camera. So I went back to my room and got out my police jacket and re-emerged. When the first one saw the words across the back, he whistled and all three bolted.

So they were hanging out, looking for vulnerable tourists. Great.

The first room had a huge cigarette burn in the middle of the bedspread, mold creeping out of the A/C unit, a carpet so matted and dirty I refused to take off my shoes. The second room had stained pillow cases and everything smelled bad. It was so disgusting and so different from what we were led to believe from the pics, we went back to the front desk, turned out keys back in and checked into another hotel. (One much nicer.)

What I want people to understand from this review is that this hotel is a DUMP. The rooms are in terrible condition and there were several young men hanging out looking to rob guests. The entire property needs to be completely gutted or have the Clarion name removed. This experience was so bad, I will no longer stay at a Clarion hotel again. It's too bad.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, insist on a room near the lobby so you're less likely to be robbed.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Tampa hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This place had some good qualities, but not enough to make me return.
On the positive, the staff were nice and helpful, the pool area was beautiful, and the breakfast was included with the room and it was good.
On the negative side, the carpets were stained to the point, that I wouldn't let the children take their shoes off and walk barefoot in the room. The stairwells were dark and looked like that hadn't been cleaned in years, the place had a musty odor, there was no elevator, the bedsheets didn't smell fresh, the refrigerator didn't keep the food cold and the air condition was all or nothing. The final straw, was when we plugged up one of the kids electronics, the plug shorted and sparks flew.
We checked out after one night and moved to another hotel.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This place should be burnt down and replaced. Looks like any available money was spent on making the lobby and pool area enticing, and not a penny on rooms (I know because I had seen three rooms before deciding they weren't going to get any better, so I sucked up and took the last one offered). This is possibly the second worse hotel I have ever stayed in (the worst was Seabreeze Motel in Atlantic City).
I chose this hotel because of location, location, location....and that the only thing it has going for it...it is convenient to Florida Hospital Tampa on Fletcher Ave.
The hotel rooms remind me of 1950's or 1960's furnishings (although the TV was color -- not flat screen though! and had cable hookup! And there is internet hookup -- unsecure, though, -- but good enough for me to enter this review from the room).
The rooms smell old, the blankets and bedding appear to be the same ones used whenever this hotel first opened in the 1950's or whenever....and the bedding in the first room we looked at was full of holes and stains....as was the furniture. This room, and the rooms that were offered in consolation, all have the same dingy blankets, covers, sheets....and the furniture is stained...the lamps broken and some won't even light.

My next letter after this review will be to Choice hotels to let them know how terrible their hotel is.

Believe me, and the other negative reviews you will find on this site....this place is one location, location, location that you want to stay away from.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family