New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Good Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites USF (Near Busch Gardens)

La Quinta Inn & Suites USF (Near Busch Gardens)
Ranked #36 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Pennsylvania
“Good Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

The Hotel is located real close to Bush Gardens. The only problem was that the bath tub drain did not drain the best at times. Would stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Turkish first
AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

The La Quinta was nice and homey looking hotel. The room was a good size and it had a big bathroom with french doors. The only problem's were I could here the tv in the next room and there was a lizard in the closet. It ran across my food when I went to get the ironing board out! Luckily my teenage nephew was there to remove it from the room while I stood screaming on the bed. There was plenty of parking and it is a short drive away Busch Gardens, downtown Tampa, and Ybor City.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Florida Panhandle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights for a visit to Busch Gardens.
The property is located only a few minutes from the Busch Gardens parking lot, and very convinient to restaurants.
Everything was very clean, the beds were comfortable, and the service was great.
The breakfast in the morning consists of the basic continental with a waffle bar. Nothing spectacular - but it works!
We would certainly stay here again if in the area.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Convinience to Busch Gardens
  • Disliked — full size beds rather than queen
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

We decided to stay at the La Quinta for two reasons: proximity to USF and price. I am usually a little hesitant to stay at a budget hotel and rely heavily on reviews on sites like this when I do. This La Quinta had gotten very good reviews and I left my stay feeling they were completely deserved!

The hotel is located directly across the street from USF, definitely within walking distance if you wanted to risk your life crossing Fowler Ave. The hotel was easy to find and many shopping and dining options near-by.

The hotel is very clean. If you are looking for serenity, there is a nice garden area with a gazebo leading to the pool and hot tub. There is a small exercise room. The rooms themselves are not fancy but clean and spacious. The breakfast was fine with muffins, cereals, and waffle machines. USA Today’s provided. I think I was most impressed with the service. As far as I can remember, this is the first hotel where the front desk called me after check-in to make sure the room met my standards. I have not gotten that service at higher star hotels.

Overall, if great price, clean place and close to USF is what you are going for, then checkout the La Quinta.

• Liked — Location, price
  • Disliked — Really had no complaints
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
561 Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

I stayed here for 2 nights after having a horrible cockroach experience at the Days Inn on Busch Blvd across from Busch Gardens. The service here is excellent. Our room was very spacious and clean. Its really close to Busch Gardens & the Imax Theater which I highly recommend seeing a movie at. Our stay was so nice that we are coming back this weekend to go back to the theme park. Fowler is a much safer neighborhood to stay on than Busch Blvd.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank karina12283
Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

My daughter and I stayed here for two days while doing campus tours of area colleges. Our room was large, comfortable and clean. We had absolutely no complaints. Check in and check out was fast, easy and accurate. The breakfast was typical muffins, toast, bagels, cereal, waffles, etc. We were both very comfortable during our stay.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jentlewolf
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

We booked our room a week in advance, told them No Smoking .When we checked in the lady said you are in a Smoking room I said I can't have a smoking room due to health reasons, She said I can give you a room with a king bed and a pull-out bed at no extra charge, She said that would be $69.99 &tax, No problem then when she changed our room she said that will be $81.68,that was the first problem . We got to the room tried to turn the air on,no such luck the terostast was not working,the lady said I will go to the desk and try there if that don,t work I'll move you to another room , that didn't happen that was problem #2. My husband said the bed was too spongy to suit him, my mom said the pull out bed felt like the springs were coming through the matress, they need to invest in new pillows they were really uncomfortable to sleep on. that was #3. The toliet didn't flush properly and was really loud & there was no shelf in the tub\shower area for soap etc. that's #4. The breakfest wasn't that great it needs more variety no meat was offered with the waffles.that brings us to#5 then the last thing was we couldn't use the pool due the storm that went through the area a few minutes before we arrived. the nice thing about the hotel was it was real convient to the water park and theme park, there were plenty of eaterys around, the Day staff was great .We stayed at the motel July 23Rd checked out July 24Th , We would use the motel again but would check the room out before paying for it.

• Liked — close to the theme park and water park, plenty of eaterys.
  • Disliked — the therastat not working in our room the room was stuffy the lady didn't move us when we told her of the problem.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)