“Great Value Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Orlando, Florida
“Great Value Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel from February 21-23, 2011 in room 217. Overall we very much enjoyed our stay and found that the hotel provided great value. We paid about $71.00 per night, including fees and taxes.

Check-in only took about 1 minute and the female front desk employee we dealt with was very polite (I forgot her name). The room was of a decent size and very clean. A refrigerator was provided. The carpets in the hallways seemed new, though they were not completely finished remodeling the entire hallway. The king-sized bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows. The AC worked well, but was a little noisy. The room did not have a sofa chair, but it did have a desk and desk chair. The room came with a nice flatscreen television with a decent channel selection (4 HBO channels). One thing I liked about the television was that the volume could not be raised above a certain level. That would prevent inconsiderate neighbors from blasting their televisions and waking everyone up. The free wireless worked well.

The bathroom was a little on the small side, though it was nicely remodeled with new floor tiling and granite counter-type walls. The towels were fresh and large. The amenities were standard, but nothing special. A hairdryer was provided.

We ate their free continental breakfast, which was decent, but nothing to write home about. They had fruit drinks, waffle mixes, toast, bagels, coffee, tea, yogurt, oranges, and apples and a clean dining area with a lot of tables. You could also pick up a complimentary copy of USA Today or The Wall Street Journal.

I was particularly impressed with the outdoor pool. Most outdoor hotel pools in the winter months of Florida are not very warm despite a hotel’s claim that they are “heated.” This pool was definitely warm enough to swim in during mid-February, which I did. They had a range of top music songs from the 80’s to present playing on loudspeakers.

Please note that the hotel is difficult to find. It seems to be hidden behind the Days Inn. You need to take a left turn once you pass the Shell gas station if you're coming from the direction of I-4. Parking was never a problem. The hotel had visible security at night, which I liked. The hotel is about a 7-10 minute drive from downtown Tampa and the Hard Rock Casino in the other direction.

My stay was not perfect however. I asked for a late check-out and even offered to pay extra to stay in my room for a few more hours, but they told me I had to be a Choice Hotels member to get this privilege. Consequently I had to wait for my wife for over 6 hours in the lobby of the hotel with a newborn baby after I checked out. However, I had the opportunity to observe many staff members during this time and they were all very pleasant to the guests.

Overall this is a great hotel to stay in if you’re not the type that prefers luxuries. It has a very high Tripadvisor rating because you get a lot in return for the affordable price you pay. Some improvements would be to have a later check out time (11:00 am seems too early) and a more guest-friendly late check-out policy. A hot tub next to the pool would have been great.

Marc T. Hardekopf

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Enid, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

We flew into Tampa and stayed there one night before our cruise in December 2010. I chose this facility because I had Choice Hotel points and it had a decent rating. While the facility was clean and the staff helpful, be aware that this is NOT a nice location. The taxi driver from the hotel didn't even know where it was. We had to take a taxi elsewhere to eat that evening because there is nothing nearby we could (would) walk to, as well as a taxi to the pier the next morning. The driver that morning said he won't even go to the hotel location after dark. Hmmmmm.

For what we paid in taxi fares, we could have stayed somewhere much nicer and much closer to the port.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Live Oak, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

We found this place by chance and boy, were we beyond pleased!! My daughter had a cheer competition at the Florida State Fairgrounds and it was just a few minutes away. It was a great place and a great price!! Immaculately clean, very friendly and personable staff, comfy bed, nice bathrooms, good breakfast. There is nothing we could complain about at all! It was easy to find off I-4 and we plan to return!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

This is a great value, close to downtown and at a fraction of the big hotels. as an owner of a small business I appreciate a place like this.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank guitarbobsd
Daytona, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

Was pleasantly suprised at this hotel It is definately a great value. The property is clean and the staff very friendly. Lori was keeping the breakfast area clean and well stocked the entire time that we were there. Front desk staff was also very friendly.

We had one of the two room suites. It was nice to have a seperate area for company. The two bathrooms also make it good, not having to wait for a shower. Bathrooms have marbel vanities and shower enclosures. Only comment is that the water pressure in sink is very low. Shower pressure is fine though.

We will definately be back when we come back for Gasparilla, or even a visit to Busch Gardens Tampa which is not all that far.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

This hotel was clean, smelled good, spacious, and well appointed. The linens were new and the flat panel tv was a nice touch. We missed the continental breakfast but it smelled delicious. I got lost using mapquest (I highly reccommend using your GPS instead) and got an unwated tour of the neighborhood. The other hotels in the area don't even come close to the "quality" of the Quality Inn. Don't let the location or the neighborhood fool you. The security of the building was great too. If staying in this area, and you need low-cost accomodations without sacrificing safety and comfort, then I highly reccommend the Quality Inn.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

Why can't all motels be run this well? It helps that this is a brand new facility, but I was most impressed with the price/value relationship. I just needed basic accommodations at a good price, and that is what I got. Room was clean, well-appointed, and large enough for my needs. Check-in was smooth. This is the what no-frills lodging should be.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business