“True customer service and excellent hotel”

Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City
Ranked #22 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Miami Beach, Florida
“True customer service and excellent hotel”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I travel a lot to different places for work, I have stayed at holiday inn's and Marriott but this time when I had to go to Tampa I had to stay at this quality inn since it was closer to work. And I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel in all, from the staff to customer service every thing was excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms on main building first floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bobby G, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for making us your lodging choice when you are in Tampa. Here at the Quality Inn we pride ourselves in the quality of service, and property conditioning that will continue to bring guests like yourself back to our property. It is also a pleasure knowing that while you are away from home working you have found a place that makes you feel at home. On behalf of my GM and our entire staff thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you on your next stay here at the Quality Inn & Suites Tampa Fairgrounds.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Hebrew first
Rowlett, Texas
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Those who stay at Quality Inns on a regular basis know that the quality and service can vary dramatically from one property to the next. This hotel is one of the best Quality Inns that I've ever stayed in, and, as a Choice Privileges top-tier (Diamond) member, I stay in quite a few.

The hotel itself is in excellent condition, nicely upgraded, well furnished, and spotlessly clean. The lobby is large with a spacious, open complimentary breakfast area. Parking is ample.

Check-in was handled efficiently by a pleasant staff member, and this was one of the very few Choice Hotels properties that actually recognizes tier status in their frequent guest program - which, as a frequent guest, I appreciate.

My room was larger than most motel rooms and the best way to describe it is that it was at least as nicely furnished and laid out as a typical room in a Courtyard by Marriott - but not at a Courtyard price. Bathroom was spotless, with the standard amenities. There was ample work space, a flat screen TV, and plenty of in-room coffee. Beds were very comfortable, and the climate control worked flawlessly. No problems with the free wi-fi either.

Check-out was also handled by a very pleasant staff member who wanted to make sure that I had enjoyed my stay.

Overall - what can I say? This hotel is an excellent choice for visitors to east Tampa. It's convenient to major highways (I-4, I-75, Selman Expressway) and the Hard Rock Seminole Casino.

There are only two very minor things to mention...

First, access to the hotel is a bit tricky. While visible from the highway, it's tucked away such that one has to make a few unobvious turns to get to it. There are some signs to help, and my Google Navigator on my smartphone did know how to make the turns, so I didn't have any problem getting to the property. I mention this only to alert other guests that just because they can see the hotel doesn't mean they can easily get to it without following the signs.

Second, upon checkout, I noticed a $1.00 charge on my folio for "Hotel Service Fee." I didn't bother to ask what that was, but I thought it strange that a hotel of this caliber would add such a silly item that serves no obvious purpose. I did notice that my guest room had one of those in-room safes, and I do know, from personal experience, that many Choice Hotels properties have in-room safes for which a charge is assessed for this "convenience." Perhaps the $1.00 fee is their way of replacing the daily safe charge in a way that is less obvious. I don't know. But I can't help but wonder how a hotel that is as nice as this one is and run as well as this one is would resort to adding $1.00 to a guest bill. If they really need that extra buck, they could simply raise their room rates by $1.00 and no one would care. Now, having said all of this, the extra $1.00 didn't bother me too much, because all of the other aspects of my stay were great. But I do mention it, because it was there, and if someone from the hotel's management reads their TripAdvisor reviews, they might ask themselves whether or not keeping such a fee really makes sense.

Bottom line - excellent choice at a reasonable price. A variety of discounts are available at the hotel family website - choicehotels.com, including senior, AAA, and, various associations.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Bobby G, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your descriptive review. It is reviews like this that help us work on our service and also provides future guests with proper informative reviews. As you said in your review I do look at these everyday, and would like to shed some light on the $1.00 fee. The $1.00 fee is collected and paid directly to the Green Room Plant Provider. The program is an eco friendly program that provides Bio Plants to our hotel through out the property and more importantly in each guest room. The plants are unique because they do not need water, they grow with sun light and special food that they are wrapped in. The $1.00 fee goes directly to them for there services. They service each plant and replace any pots or damaged plants. This fee is not mandatory, we have no problem adjusting the fee for any of our guests. I hope I have explained the $1.00 fee in detail. I want to say thank you again for the wonderful review, and on behalf of my GM and the entire staff thank you for staying at the Quality Inn & Suites Tampa Fairgrounds.
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

My Experience of my staying at the Hotel very nice and pleasant.The Whole Staff was very nice,friendly,courtesy and professional special BoBy at the Lobby and Luis Alvarez the Chief Ingeneer Who it's responsible for the well maintain of the outside parking lots,picnic area,pool and maintenance of the Hotel,the continental breakfast was good the Lobby very nice,the rooms very nice and very ,the house keeper nice and friendly,all so Patric at the front desc was very professional,I definitely will recommend to my friends and family

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review. Here at the Quality Inn we love to hear from our guests. It is always good to know how we made your stay an enjoyable one. On behalf of my GM and our entire staff thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you on your next stay here at the Quality Inn & Suites Tampa Fairgrounds.
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. Very clean and comfortable. The pool area is nice. It was a little difficult to find and the area leaves a little bit to be desired but should not stop you from staying here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review. Here at the Quality Inn we pride ourselves in Quality customer service. We also enjoy receiving reviews like yours that help us better our property. We are currently are adding more signage and flags to direct our guest easily onto our property. On behalf of my GM and our entire staff thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you on your next stay here at the Quality Inn & Suites Tampa Fairgrounds.
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 15, 2013

By most metrics this would be a four- or five-star rated stay. Very reasonable price for what you get, which includes a reasonably clean room, Wi-Fi, and breakfast. Yet, for most of the time my experience fluctuated between three and four stars, and a bogus tax-like surcharge specific to this location leads me to want to rate it two stars. Hear me out.

The front desk personnel was friendly, and I got a room with two queens for one person. But when I first walked in I thought the room smelled musty, and there were a couple of spots on the carpet I didn't particularly want to step on. The Wi-Fi was sporadically slow, and my trouble sleeping came not from noise from the adjacent highway, but from someone snoring loudly in the room I wish I hadn't shared one of those weird inter-room doors with. I tried to get the A/C unit to cancel him out, but I couldn't find a way to make it stay on permanently beyond making the room excessively cold.

The breakfast was solid, with yogurt and a few hot items. Sadly, the juice machine was on the fritz and I couldn't even get water from it.

What really peeved me off -- something I just discovered upon leaving -- was something the hotel might deem trivial: an additional, non-optional $1.00 nightly fee they charge to maintain the plants you won't even notice in your room. Really?!? I consider that nickel-and-diming, and it was not at all appreciated.

The hotel is difficult to navigate to coming from certain directions. The street patterns are very odd at this location. It can also be a bizarre experience trying to navigate from one building to the other. You'll likely have to go through the pool area.

I thought this stay was average, and I would likely not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Millersburg, Ohio
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Very nice hotel but as other reviewer metnioned not in the greatest part of town. The hotel was very clean and the staff nice. The rooms were really comfortable. Being a runner I did not feel safe waking out the door and going for a run. I would recommend as hotel just stay in at night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bobby G, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
I am sorry that you felt unsafe stepping out of our doors. I wish you would have asked us about the area prior to deciding not to run. We have several marathons in the City of Tampa, and during those events we serve as on of the principle housing facilities for local and out of town runners and there families. At any given time guests can be found running around our property and local neighborhood. Our Guest Services Agents would have explained that if given the opportunity. I am thankful you enjoyed your stay and for your review. On behalf of my GM and my entire staff, thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Been here multiple times, been pleased with all. It's a nice hotel, arranged as a U-shape around a central pool. The Christmas lights at night make for a nice touch. Staff is courteous and do their best to meet special needs.

It comes at a reasonable cost probably because 50th street is not a desirable part of town. I probably don't want to know the crime statistics for the area, but I've had absolutely no trouble at the hotel.

Had trouble finding any good restaurants nearby, the KFC down the street being the only one I want to come back to.

Hotel has a reasonable breakfast, which reduces effective cost. I like this hotel because it's only about 10 minutes from downtown, has nice accommodations , and is reasonably priced. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Be sure to mention if you have AAA or Florida resident - nice discount.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Your review is living proof that you can not judge a book by its cover. Thank you for explaining how our property was great and that you have never had an issue here. Our property considers the safety and security of our guests a high priority. That is why you have enjoyed your stays. Once again on behalf of my GM and my entire staff, thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.