“very nice hotel”

Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City
Ranked #26 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. Very clean and comfortable. The pool area is nice. It was a little difficult to find and the area leaves a little bit to be desired but should not stop you from staying here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bobby G, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thank you for your great review. Here at the Quality Inn we pride ourselves in Quality customer service. We also enjoy receiving reviews like yours that help us better our property. We are currently are adding more signage and flags to direct our guest easily onto our property. On behalf of my GM and our entire staff thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you on your next stay here at the Quality Inn & Suites Tampa Fairgrounds.

There are newer reviews for Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City

Reviewed April 15, 2013

By most metrics this would be a four- or five-star rated stay. Very reasonable price for what you get, which includes a reasonably clean room, Wi-Fi, and breakfast. Yet, for most of the time my experience fluctuated between three and four stars, and a bogus tax-like surcharge specific to this location leads me to want to rate it two stars. Hear me out.

The front desk personnel was friendly, and I got a room with two queens for one person. But when I first walked in I thought the room smelled musty, and there were a couple of spots on the carpet I didn't particularly want to step on. The Wi-Fi was sporadically slow, and my trouble sleeping came not from noise from the adjacent highway, but from someone snoring loudly in the room I wish I hadn't shared one of those weird inter-room doors with. I tried to get the A/C unit to cancel him out, but I couldn't find a way to make it stay on permanently beyond making the room excessively cold.

The breakfast was solid, with yogurt and a few hot items. Sadly, the juice machine was on the fritz and I couldn't even get water from it.

What really peeved me off -- something I just discovered upon leaving -- was something the hotel might deem trivial: an additional, non-optional $1.00 nightly fee they charge to maintain the plants you won't even notice in your room. Really?!? I consider that nickel-and-diming, and it was not at all appreciated.

The hotel is difficult to navigate to coming from certain directions. The street patterns are very odd at this location. It can also be a bizarre experience trying to navigate from one building to the other. You'll likely have to go through the pool area.

I thought this stay was average, and I would likely not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Very nice hotel but as other reviewer metnioned not in the greatest part of town. The hotel was very clean and the staff nice. The rooms were really comfortable. Being a runner I did not feel safe waking out the door and going for a run. I would recommend as hotel just stay in at night.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bobby G, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

I am sorry that you felt unsafe stepping out of our doors. I wish you would have asked us about the area prior to deciding not to run. We have several marathons in the City of Tampa, and during those events we serve as on of the principle housing facilities for local and out of town runners and there families. At any given time guests can be found running around our property and local neighborhood. Our Guest Services Agents would have explained that if given the opportunity. I am thankful you enjoyed your stay and for your review. On behalf of my GM and my entire staff, thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Been here multiple times, been pleased with all. It's a nice hotel, arranged as a U-shape around a central pool. The Christmas lights at night make for a nice touch. Staff is courteous and do their best to meet special needs.

It comes at a reasonable cost probably because 50th street is not a desirable part of town. I probably don't want to know the crime statistics for the area, but I've had absolutely no trouble at the hotel.

Had trouble finding any good restaurants nearby, the KFC down the street being the only one I want to come back to.

Hotel has a reasonable breakfast, which reduces effective cost. I like this hotel because it's only about 10 minutes from downtown, has nice accommodations , and is reasonably priced. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Be sure to mention if you have AAA or Florida resident - nice discount.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Your review is living proof that you can not judge a book by its cover. Thank you for explaining how our property was great and that you have never had an issue here. Our property considers the safety and security of our guests a high priority. That is why you have enjoyed your stays. Once again on behalf of my GM and my entire staff, thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Reception was super and they did everything they could to make sure we had the shuttle we wanted for the next day. The room was in excellent shape and very clean. The breakfast was more Than complete even if it was self-service the attended was very helpful. On our return from our cruise the shuttle was there and he brought us directly to our car. When and if we ever leave for a cruise from Tampa for sure we will stay there and will also tell our friends about this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I also want to thank you for passing your experience with your friends and with Trip Advisor. We are on a continuous mission to improve our property and guest feedback is the most valuable tool. On behalf of my GM and my entire staff, thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Every staff member in this hotel is way above average in helping make yours a good stay. My only problem came when we elected to leave our car there during our cruise. We saved money on parking and took their shuttle to the cruiseport no troubles at all. A week later we could not get back to the hotel on the shuttle. They only had one van running, and the line was long and deep, and every time the van returned (30-45 minutes each time), people stormed the driver and pushed other people away. It was disgraceful! We ended up taking a cab, another nightmare, to the hotel where they reimbursed us for the fare on the spot. Warning, beware of rip-off cab drivers at the cruiseport. Our driver quoted us $30 to go to the hotel! When I told him I would only pay $15, he agreed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

First let me begin by apologizing for the inconvenience you experienced on your return trip. That weekend was very, very busy. Do to that weekend we now have several vans running back, and fourth to the port. I am sorry once again, but thankful for your review. Our property has grown and continues to grow through learning from our guests. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip, I assure you that you will take our shuttle round trip to the port. On behalf of my GM and my entire staff, thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We came into town for a cruise, we didn't want to spend much money so out choices were slim the cheaper hotels in the area are very rundown and scary, we chose
This one because it looked newer, we were greeted quickly with the best hotel staff, extremely helpful and nice. They offered us the cruise package, which I highly recommend!! They carry all your bags, take you, pick you up, watch your car. So much convenience for the price you pay.

• Stayed: March 2013
Bobby G, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you for your review. Yes, the Stay Park and Cruise package is a large help for guests. We pride ourselves in Quality customer service, and are very happy that you were able to experience that first hand. Once again thank you on behalf of GM and the entire staff thank you for your stay and your review.