“Struggling Hampton” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Florida
“Struggling Hampton”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

We chose this Hampton because of its location and bases on a prior stay here about 8 years ago. While nothing went terribly wrong, this was not a typical Hampton experience for us.

The hotel was under-staffed and the front desk clerk was clearly stressed - but thankfully not rude. We were upgraded to a suite, so that was an appreciated bonus. However, our request for extra pillows went unfilled.

The room had very worn furniture, including a chair that barely had any cover left. There were a variety of other nuisances - blinds that wouldn't fully close, stiff and loose bathroom fixtures, and un-vacuumed halls. There are renovations underway, so if you stay here request a renovated room.

In the future, we will probably seek other Hampton (or similar chain) options.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Heather F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa - North, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
We value your loyalty to our hotel and our brand. Your feedback is greatly appreciated as we currently undergo some growing pains. Your comments about the maintenance concerns, while not excusable, come at a perfect time. We'll keep this in mind as go through our renovations and will address the poor service levels you experienced. We hope you'll come back and let us know what you think of our changes.

Best Regards,
Heather

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

For this trip, I was going to be at the hotel for a long duration. The first part of the trip was for business and the second half was personal as we may relocate to Tampa. After a long day of travel, I was very surprised about the evening Manager's Reception. My thought was that there would be snack, finger food items. I was very surprised to find enough food for a meal and wine too. What makes this evening reception extra special is Nikole! She was a very welcome comfort for travelers. She was attentive to everyone. She takes care for you like family. Nikole was also attending the front desk on the weekend evenings. She was still great to the customers, taking care of their needs. Mary, at the front desk, was very accommodating. She was very helpful with all my request. Also, at the weekday breakfast, Pam was very kind and helpful. The breakfast offers something for everyone. If you leave hungry, it is your own fault. The hotel is in a nice, quiet area. The grounds are very nice. My room was also very nice. I asked for a room with a microwave and a refrigerator, which both came in handy for this long trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators and vending for best comfort at any hotel.
Temple, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Had a really bad experience at a small locally owned motel in Sanibel. I was looking for a motel that was mold-free, and I found it here. Everything was clean and fresh smelling. The carpet was clean and I could walk on it with bare feet. The area is quiet and felt safe. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TXFlowerLady
Altoona, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Lots of hotels have an evening reception or hospitality offered, but at the Hampton, Nicole is what really makes theirs special. I was welcomed (and encouraged and invited to attend), she used my name and most nights I was there received better service that I would at a sit-down restaurant when the employees work for tips on your individual bill. With no check at the end of the event she is just motivated by making the guests feel welcome and happy and she does it wonderfully!

orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

First let me start by saying I had a great stay here. Rooms were very clean as well as the hotel grounds. They have a shuttle service and they will take you pretty much anywhere. The front desk agents could be more friendly but that is the only downside of my stay. On another note to my surprise they have a dinner reception at this hotel which is not standard for hampton inns and in top of that they have the best host I had ever have in my life (and I travel a lot). Nikole make us fell welcome since the very first moment we step foot on the hotel. She invite us to come down for dinner even though the dinner was almost over. She talked to us for a while but never stop taking care of everyone else. I commented to her that it was my birthday the next day and when we came down for dinner she showed up with flowers (that she personally cut fresh for me), wine and balloons. It really surprise me that with small comment she remember and did so much for me. To resume Nikole is the host I have ever had. I will be coming back to this hotel

Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Very positive experience. Ideal for business travel. Was too busy to use the pool, but see many happy people around. Place is recently remodeled. Staff is friendly. Definitely will be back. Single Kings look the Pool. Double Queens look out. Top floor is smoking. Easy parking all around the building. If you need MW in the room, should ask in advance

Room Tip: Single Kings look the Pool. Double Queens look out. Top floor is smoking. Easy parking all around th...
Lindsay, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed at this hotel one evening after visiting friends in the area. The hotel rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet. Hampton Inns have some of the best hotel pillows but even they could be a little larger. We had a beautiful palm tree right outside our window. Breakfast was good.

We only had one issue. When we arrived at 9:00 p.m. after a long day we just wanted to turn on TV and unwind before bed. Unfortunately, the TV was not working. Guest services sent up a technician fairly quickly and we did get the TV working, however there was a loose cord and the technician said he should come back and replace it. We waited about 20 minutes and then contacted guest services and told them not to bother as we were tired. She told us that the technician couldn't find another cord. It would have been nice if someone had contacted us to let us know he would not be returning as we were waiting to get ready for bed. That was my only complaint on an otherwise good stay. Other than this issue I would have given the overall rating of this hotel a 5 star. I would still recommend this hotel and I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple