“The rudest Hilton Family Employee I have ever met”

Hampton Inn Tampa / Rocky Point - Airport
Ranked #50 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The day I was supposed to check in my credit card was stolen. The front desk lady could care less. She said all she could do is cancel my reservation which she did. The joke was that they ended up charging my credit card anyway. So, although she refused to let me check in and give $100 cash deposit for a $50 room...which meant I had to go to the Clarion where I was able to check in without a credit card, she turned around and charged me anyway. What an awful hotel experience. You talk about rude. I would not hire an employee like that to do any form of customer related work. I can see that the GM of this hotel has done very little about the numerous complaints that have come in about this property. Sooner of later Hilton will wise up and drop this property from its line up I hope.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jason F
RockyPointGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa / Rocky Point - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Jason F,
I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had. I understand your frustration after you had your credit card stolen prior to your arrival. We did not charge your credit card, but obtained an authorization, which has now been removed. I am disheartened that we did not do more to make an alternate arrangement for your payment, and we fell far short of our usual level of hospitality. Please feel free to contact me so we can gather more information and make things right.
David McConnell, General Manager david.mcconnell@hilton.com

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Tampa / Rocky Point - Airport

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed here as everyone suggested that it was close to the airport, from our viewpoint it was a good 5-10 mins drive and a little difficult to find if you are not used to the road system.

Hotel was clean and comfortable as you would expect for a Hampton Inn. The only issue we had was that on getting some hot water from the lobby for a drink it was luke warm. On advising the duty manager that the hot water had run out he said he was on all night and would sort some out at 2am! I also noticed the shuttle bus driver asleep in the lobby area.

Breakfast was fine and check out quick and easy.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nancy V, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Tampa / Rocky Point - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and for being our guest. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future when you are traveling in the Tampa Bay area.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

We used this hotel for pre-cruise. Our flight was delayed, so got into Tampa Airport about 8:00pm. I called hotel for pick up, they were there in 10 min. The room was clean, nice bedding and the area is nice and safe. The free breakfast was good, fresh mixed fruit,hot oatmeal, make your own waffles, sausage and the standard muffins, rolls, cereal, juice and coffee. With the cruise package they have a shuttle that took us to the Port of Tampa and pick up after back to airport after cruise. The staff was very friendly. This will be my choice again for a pre or post cruise. A+. There is a Bahama Breeze rest within walking distance and a very small convenience store. Not much else if you are looking for something with in walking distance.

Room Tip: All the area is very quite
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richard J

Reviewed August 28, 2012

As mentioned by many, this was a great stop over spot for an early morning flight out of Tampa. Free Internet/business station, with printer in the lobby was helpful for printing boarding passes. The rooms look to have been recently refurbished. Can't beat the super price we got as well!
We stop at the restuarant/bar just behind the hotel on the water front called Bahama Breeze, for a bite,it was really really good and had a great atmosphere! Sat outside on the patio the live band was awesome.
Would recommend and/or go back to either of these spots again

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank toela

Reviewed July 29, 2012

really good rate for park and stay ..but book early rate went up $40 in 24 hours,,,had a waterview room on 5th floor....decent breakfast..friendly staff very clean and safe..good value...internet rate best from hampton website.....hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank gillie51

Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel several times, including our wedding weekend and before our honeymoon cruise. I have previously recommended this hotel to several members of my family but unfortunately after our last stay I will not recommend this hotel any longer. Our bad experience first started with the hotel staff. When we checked in at around 4:00p on 7/13/12, the hotel staff was rude and lacked customer service skills. I don’t think the one who did our paperwork knew how to smile. When I asked if our room had a refrigerator I was told that she didn’t think it did but that she would call me if one was available. I was not waiting on that call based on her tone. We noticed that there was indeed a fridge in our room when we got to it (room # 300) so I called down to let her know not to worry about it. All she said was, “okay” and hung up. As we were getting ready to head out we noticed blood stains on the comforter of the bed. We decided to deal with it when we got back as we needed to go. We arrived back at the hotel at around 11:00p and when I told the front desk staff (a woman who I think was brand new and a gentleman) the woman acted as if she had no idea what to do. We were lead around the hall to the hotel laundry room and handed a new king size comforter. No apologies, etc. Also, there was some unsightly construction going on in the hotel – the signs hung up said it was due to an “emergency”. I am not sure what this “emergency” was as there did not appear to be anyone working in any of the areas. The wallpaper was peeling and torn off in some areas and there were ceiling tiles missing exposing wires, etc. Overall this was a bad experience and we will not be staying at this location again. This hotel really needs to work on their customer service and appearance.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel L, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa / Rocky Point - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

I am so sorry that you had to experience that kind of service. I can, however, assure you that you will not expeience attitude like that again should you return. We have a great staff who are eager to please our guests. Also, in the upcoming months, the hotel will be getting a complete renovation both inside and out. I hope you will come back and see all of the great changes!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Traveling on business and needed an inexpensive hotel with a good location. This fits the bill. Easy access to airport and major freeway. Clean rooms, very friendly service, ample choices for breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business