“A maid working at the hotel opened my bags and stole a $1200 ring, confirmed by police after finding it at a pawn shop.”

Hampton Inn Tampa / Brandon
Ranked #60 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in July of 2012. I left my valuables zipped up in a gym bag I had and figured this would keep everything safe for the time being(naive I know). I came back from work and my Texas A&M class ring was gone. I had the ring put away in a sunglasses case, as well as in a zipped up bag. I reported it stolen to the police and notified the staff of the hotel, which was a waste of time bc they were no help at all and seemed annoyed with me for suggesting a maid stole it. Cameras only caught hotel employees entering my room the day I reported it stolen and turns out it wound up in a pawn shop that same day. Police confirmed it as mine and I am currently in the process of getting my ring back, which by the way has been a struggle due to the manager/owner not being of assistance at all. He would not answer or return the detectives calls and has been trying to sweep the issue under the rug. This is ridiculous and I cannot believe the neglegance of this owner. Oh, did I mention the maids who cleaned my room that day have prior theft records??!! Old habits die hard I guess. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Aggies2012
Kristy U, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa / Brandon, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your stay. I appreciate your speed in bringing this incident to my attention and allowing me to follow up with our security team. We have been more than willing to work with the authorities in this matter, and we are happy that your ring was recovered. If I can assist you further, please let me know and I will be more than happy to help in any way possible. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed one night in this establishment while attending an area event and mostly enjoyed our brief stay. The Inn was quiet, well-appointed and convenient. The front desk staff was as nice as can be and check-in was smooth and uneventful. Our room was tastefully decorated, and we made note of the clever usage of space in the room with all its amenities. The ONLY downside to our stay was the free breakfast the next day - cold and "cheap" food; and all evidence of breakfast removed from the common areas well before the cut-off time. Overall though, a pleasant experience. Just go out for some breakfast!

Room Tip: Our room faced a trucking parking lot; recommend the hotel parking lot (at least there's trees!)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Nice, clean rooms, recently redecorated. Good central location, near shopping and restaurants. Free Wi-FI in all rooms and a great desk area for working. Mini-fridge in room was helpful as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Venice, Fl
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Easy access to Interstate, clean, staff friendly. Room was very comfortable, slept very well. Bathroom was clean, bed was very comfortable! Great stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank uniongirlVenice
Annapolis
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We did not enjoy our visit there. Had to wait almost 2 hours in lobby while they made up the room. We are Diamond members - one would think they would upgrade to a suite; uh, no. Worst experience was breakfast - not attentive to hotel occupancy - no food and no attempt to refill even at 8:30 a.m, 9:00 a.m., and 9:45 a.m. Several visits to check; uh, no. Heard a nasty argument with front desk clerk and guest. Never again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank naptownalison
Florida
Reviewed April 14, 2012

i expected less than what I got but was surprised at the price of the room. There was an odor in hallways, small workout room but good breakfast with decent coffee.Additional perks includes all the bottled water you wanted and complimentary wine at Front Desk which I have never seen.Shower was very narrow and I kept bumping the soap dish with all my 100 lbs!!
Area had poor selection of Restaurants for area.Overall good for Business travel and it was quiet in the room.Fairly friendly staff. I would stay again for business only.

Room Tip: Small hotel without any real view.I was in the Front of building and it was quieter than expected.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Sebring, Florida
Reviewed March 10, 2012

The hotel is located off a busy road in Brandon - lots of nearby restaurants, gas stations, etc.... It is about 10 minutes to downtown Tampa (toll-road, though). A Bob Evans is within walking distance (clean and new-feeling).

The staff was very friendly.... offered me complimentary toothbrush and toothpaste because I forgot mine. I had a first floor room near the lobby, but was happily surprised as to how quiet it was. I did hear a train go by once, but it did not bother me at all. The room was very clean and modern. Very comfortable. The linens are all white (with a white duvet cover, so it can be washed for each guest). Bathroom was clean and good sized. The standard king room I stayed in had a large wardrobe closet and desk.

Breakfast was complimentary and basic - fruit, oatmeal, bacon, cheese omelet, danishes/muffins, cereal, juices, and coffee. Internet is free. Parking is free, but they have VERY limited spots in the front and sides of the hotel - most parking is in the back of the hotel, which I did not like because there is no back entrance.

I always enjoy staying at Hamptons and I would stay here again without hesitation -- it is a good compromise to staying in Tampa because it is so close, yet quite a bit less expensive.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tampa
Fairfield Inn & Suites Tampa Brandon
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Brandon Regency Park
Comfort Suites Tampa / Brandon
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Brandon West
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tampa/Brandon
Homewood Suites Tampa Brandon

Been to Hampton Inn Tampa / Brandon? Share your experiences!