“Nice hotel - front desk very helpful”

Courtyard Tampa Downtown
Ranked #59 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Nice hotel - front desk very helpful”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Staff were great, especially the person who checked me in. I did have trouble with my remote, as the channels wouldn't change. I called the lobby about 9:30pm, there was someone taking a look within 10 minutes, cable was in wrong port or something, but he fixed it in just a few minutes. Valet guys were really nice and gave good directions when trying to leave hotel, lots of one way streets in downtown Tampa.

Rooms were typical Courtroom, but clean. My floor was very quiet. A little road noise outside since we're downtown, but quietened down late evening.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Glad you had a good visit to our hotel! Thank you for the great comments on the staff. I will pass along your comments to the team. Sorry about the TV issue. So many people are using the TV with technology devices now that they are rearraging the ports. We still should have caught that and happy to hear that it was resolved quickly. Safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Meant to write sooner - had to bring my mom to Tampa for surgery for Uterine Cancer, so definitely stressful time. We bailed after one night at a place that was close to Tampa General, but after barely sleeping from noise and unsuitable arrangements for 84 year old, I was very lucky the Courtyard could accommodate us even with, unbeknownst to us, Gasparilla weekend! I cannot begin to say how supportive, lovely, uplifting, cheerful, helpful, and simply nice everyone was - managers, desk staff, bell hop/car attendants, housekeeping (held my hand and gave me a boost after surgery day at the hospital), and most of all Itsel from the food counter who took special care way above and beyond food. I'm so grateful to everyone there for helping me cope. P.S. Mom is doing great!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the kind words. I will definitely pass along not only your experience but will tell the employees you mentioned that your mom is doing well. Being so close to Tampa General Hospital we have a lot of guests visiting that location and understand that sometimes it is under "stressful circumstances". I hope to see you back at the hotel for a more enjoyable leisure visit in the future! Again, glad mom is well. Safe travels
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I chose this hotel for its proximity to the Gasparilla Distance Classic-related activities. I found the staff to be very friendly in general but was particularly noticeable during my stay: the city of Tampa was under a water advisory and all kinds of businesses (as well as the race organizers) were scrambling to make adjustments. The hotel staff responded immediately by making sure guests were informed and making necessary adjustments to accommodate guests' needs. They managed to do so effortlessly. Would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience with our hotel. We strive to accomodate all our guests needs when staying at our hotel. This includes during unusual unforeseen events like a county-wide boil water notice. I appreciate you noticing our extra efforts to accomodate those special needs and will share your feedback with our team.. I also hope that your Gasparilla racing events went well and look forward to seeing you again when visiting Tampa. Safe travels!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This Courtyard is perfect for locals or visitors! I am a local resident of Tampa and we have stayed here on several different occasions. This weekend was because of Gasparilla Run weekend. It was walking distance of the convention center and to where the runs started. The free shuttle (drivers are awesome) is a huge help of getting around, eventhough many things are in walking distance. We took the shuttle to Jacksons, Tinatapas and to Ybor city. Good variety of restraunts all in walking distance also. There is a great park across the street, along the riverwalk. The courtyard has a great pool, hot tub and a small basketball court. Rooms are super comfy. This property was just renovated and looks great. I have come here with friends, as a couple and with the family. The frontdesk ladies greeted were super friendly... chatted with us everytime we came in. Will be back soon!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your postive experience during your recent stay and I am so glad to here from returning guests... that speaks volumes! I will definitely share your comments with the staff and glad that you got to experience so much of the city and the hotel during your visit. We look forward to a future return trip! Safe travels.
Toronto
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel on Feb 19th, 2013 to attend a hockey game. We checked in early no problem. I knew the parking was tight but it was no problem and the General manager was very helpful getting that done. Front desk people where friendly and housekeeping people attentive. Operations manager arrange to get my car in the morning and the shuttle driver was fun and very informatative.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so glad that you had a great visit to our hotel and hope that you enjoyed the hockey game! We see a lot of guest for all the events at the Tampa Bay Times Forum, especially for the Tampa Bay Lightning due to our proximity. Thank you for your positive comments regarding the parking, we offer both self parking and valet parking and due to this combination we do not have a problem with accomodating the parking needs of our guests (even at a downtown location)! We have plenty more games left in the hockey season and hope to see you again for a future game! Safe travels.
East Coast of Florida
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This Marriott building is part "Courtyard" and part "Residence" (both my Marriott). We previously stayed at the Residence, but this time we chose the Courtyard. It is a very nice hotel, but there is a $14.95 fee for parking. I am not sure if it is per night or for the duration. We only stayed 1 night. The parking is a small fenced in lot across the street. Be prepared that if you go out at night and come back late, you might not be able to park in the lot that you just paid for and parking on the street is limited as well. There was no complementary breakfast or anything (not even fruit). The rooms are very clean, and the shower had very hot water with great pressure. We were on the 4th floor and our sliding glass door lock was broken. Luckily there was a bar that locked in place to help secure the door. There also is a nice BBQ area in a courtyard between the two sides of the building. We were woken up at 6:30 am by the train whose engineer decided to blow the horn for what seemed like a straight 5 minutes. Other than that, the room was very quiet.

Room Tip: If you can get a room facing the inside courtyard, between the two buildings, I beleive it would be...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the 4 star rating. I am glad that you had an overall positive experience while staying at our hotel. I know that it seems that the parking seemed to be a slight issue. Obvoiusly, we are a downtown/urban hotel but we do provide both self parking and valet parking. Due to having both we are always able to accomodate all our guests for parking. The price for parking is $14.00 for either self parking or valet parking. Therefore, if necessary we can always accomodate more vehicles either in our main parking lot or our secondary lot used for valet. Again, I do apologize for the slight inconvenience in this area and I am glad that this issue did not have an overall negative impact on your stay in your overall rating for our hotel. Safe travels and we hope to see you in the future when visiting Tampa!
Bedford, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I chose this hotel due to the proximity of my customers on a recent business trip. As a frequent Marriott business traveler at Gold level, I also booked two addiotional rooms for my colleagues. Upon a late arrival past midnight, I had to buzz in multiple times before someone arrived at the door. Security demands this needs to be done after 10 PM. I appreciate the added security, but their needs to be someone to answer ther buzzers in a timely fashion. The only room they had was a handicap room on the 1st floor with no other option. I prefer higher floors simply to avoid hearing cars paasing all night. But a room is better than no room. I asked if my colleague arriving aftewr me also had a handicap room and was told yes.
The flapper on the toilet was not working so the toilet ran all night long. The AC unit was loud enough tat the sound of the toilet running wasn't as bad as the AC unit. The batroom floor of handicap rooms have no tubs for obvious reasons, so therefore the floors are always wet.
My colleague arrived at 2:00 AM and was told his room was not available and they sent him to another hotel! He is a non US resident and and the fact they made him walk two blocxks to another hotel is unbelievable. They told me he had a room one hour earlier. We had reservations and I'm sure we would have been charged for the rooms if we hadn't showed up. They did pay for one night at the other hotel, but to "bump" him from a hotel because they overbooked is unacceptable.
The next day they appologized and bought us a drink. I understand that hotels can have limited availability but to turn away customers in the middle of the night is unacceptable. Specifically for a hotel like the Courtyard which is designed for business travelers. Paying $199 per night during peak season, but they really should provide better value than what was extended to us.

Room Tip: Rooms higher and overlooking the pool are quieter. Breakfast is best obtained elsewhere.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelFan920
Thank you for taking the time to notify us of your experience while staying at our hotel. While we would much rather have a positive review as most all of them are, we do have times that we do not reach our goal of a positive guest experience. It is these reviews that we can improve our services and use these experiences to make sure that we do not have something like this occur to a future guest. As for your colleague, I personally spoke to him on four different occasions over his two days in Tampa and not only did we handle this unfortunate situation professionally, but resolved this issue with him to his satisfaction on a business level and more importantly a personal level. Customer loyalty and customer service are what seperate our hotel from other local hotels and it is something that we take great pride in on every level. Again, I do apologize for these circumstances and will do all that I can to assure that this does not occur to a future guest. If it should, we will again do everything possible as we did with your colleague to make sure not to lose their loyalty and to make them "whole" by any means possible. Safe travels and I hope that you give us the opportunity of staying with us on a future visit to Tampa!