“Outstanding Stay at a Bargain Price”

The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
Ranked #37 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Louisville, KY
“Outstanding Stay at a Bargain Price”
Reviewed December 28, 2009

Wow! We booked this property via Priceline's Name your Own price and were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the property and the outstanding treatment from the staff. Beautiful lobby, good quality beds (like the sweet sleeper set up at Sheraton or heavenly bed at Westin). Room was well maintiained with nuetral decor. We were staying just one night prior to taking a HAL cruise out of the Tampa Port. We checked at 11am with no problem (thought, as priceline guests, we might be told no check in until the official check in hour of 3pm).

Located directly across from a shoppng mall, which made it easy for us to pick up a couple of small items we had forgotten to pack for our cruise.

Roof top pool was small but pleasant.

The only quibble would be with the limited dining choices. There was a Shula's Steakhouse on site, but we would a preferred that the hotel had a coffee shop or casual restaurant for breakfast and/or lunch.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank DeirdreLouisville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 25, 2009

We booked a room for one night at the Intercontinental hotel a week in advance. I notified them that my girlfriend was allergic to feather and to please remove them from the room prior to arrival. I even received a confirmation email from the hotel that they would remove the feathers. We checked in after 10pm, ordered some dinner to the room, and were going to go to bed. Immediately after we ate, we both became very sick from the food. Then I noticed my girlfriends face, back, and neck were covered in hives. I went to put her in a bath after I noticed the feather pillows and duevet, and the bath tub would not get hot. I notified management who moved us to a suite at 1am and apologized.

We woke up the next morning to the maid in our room. We told her to leave. Ten minutes later, she was inside the room again. At this point I turned to my girlfriend and we decided it was time to leave the hotel. Mind you, we are local to Tampa and only stayed there because of a flight we had later that day. I went to go take a shower and that bathroom also had mold and the shower head would not work. I said screw it, we will go home, relax, shower, and then go to the airport. When I went to go check out the Manager at the front desk gave me a rude chuckle when I told him all of my complaints. I personally didn't think it was funny to have an allergic reaction in a room, then get sick from room service, have a moldy bathroom with no hot water and a shower that doesn't work, and also have the maids barge in TWICE none the less. I told him I would not pay for the room and would not return. He agreed but had an extremely rude demeanor and would not apologize. While I went to get the car, my girlfriend waited outside. The Manager went out to smoke a cigarette and wished her a Merry Christmas. She said thank you but I am jewish. His response was a cold "oh" and "you don't look Jewish. She replied "what does a jew look like" and his reponse was " you know, ugly, short, big nose, and greedy." Appauled she decide to wait for me on Kennedy Blvd rather than by the valet.

We will not return to the Intercontinental and I will let everyone in Tampa know of our experience. Myself and my cousin were also Bar Mitzvahed at the Intercontinental hotel when we were younger and it was the Whyndam. Our local congregation also uses the hotel still for Bar Mitzvah and Weddings. I will let the entire Jewish community in Tampa know of the Anti semetic manager at the Intercontinental hotel.

• Stayed November 2009
6 Thank Melech518
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 21, 2009

This hotel is integrated within an office complex. Entrance lobby is grand and welcoming, glass elevators gives a overall nice view of the lobby area when you're on e way up to the rooms.

Self parking is free, entrance at the back of the complex.

Used my IHG Priority club number and was given a better room on the higher floor. Nice rooms with warm decor. Very comfortable beds too.

International Plaza (shopping mall) is only 1 mile north. Walgreen diagonally across the traffic junction. Many good restaurants within close proximity. Its a very convenient business hotel.

• Liked — free parking
  • Disliked — no free wifi
  • Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed December 13, 2009

Got a great price on this stay via Hotwire and have been very impressed. The hotel room was well appointed (although tightly furnished). The linens were soft and comfortable and the room was very tastefully furnished with a 32" LCD TV. I traveled with 2 children under 1 year old and when I requested a crib, not only was it delivered quickly but I also received a cute travel kit of children's toiletries (bath sponge, bath wash, lotion, talc, shampoo/body wash and baby wipes in a zippered pouch). The photos posted in other reviews are exactly how our room was. There is a Shula's downstairs that also provides room service although we opted to go right across the street to the mall which has a nice food court as well as a Maggiano's and P.F. Changs. One other thing, it's very nice to check out the sunset over Tampa Bay from the rooftop pool on the 9th floor.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 8, 2009

Just finished three stays during one week and I have to say the Hotels offering are quiet good. I took the free of charge shuttle service from/ to Tampa Airport which if very convenient. Check in was a swift- first time with very friendly German born Jeniver, but can’t fault any of the staff, as everybody was kind and helpful. My room was once on 10th floor facing the front street and once facing the courtyard, which is not a good idea. Room layout was very nice, with flatscreen TV, Minibar and best about the Hotel- free WiFi! Bathroom was rather on the small side, but still nice. Room service was really quick, very friendly, but a little pricey. On portion of Penne with meatballs came nearly to 22 bucks without TIP. There is a coffee shop located in the lobby serving freshly brewed Illy coffee, which is delicious compared to the Starbucks stuff offered elsewhere. The coffee shop is even good for a small breakfast on the run if you need to catch an early morning flight. The pool is far to small for some laps but still a nice touch. Overall a very good experience and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
LOS ANGELES
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I was in the area for a couple of days during Thanksgiving. I wanted a decent hotel but fair priced and was willing to drive a bit because those by my relatives are tourist traps. I was able to book this hotel for under $60 a night. The hotel is very convenient to find and an easy ride to route 60 and Clearwater Beach (I like driving route 60, it is so Florida). Parking in the back was easy and close to the hotel entrance (valet is expensive, walk a few feet and save $18). Check in was easy, no problem with reservations. Room was very nice. Bed was comfortable and the climate control was precise. Great water pressure and instant hot. Had coffee by the bar (I don't drink) at $5 a cup and the service was excellent. Very comfortable by the TVs. Check out was uneventful. No "resort fees" (how I hate those, just add them into the rate please). % minutes to the rent a car lot and off to Los Angeles. I would consider staying here next trip as long as it is under $100 a night.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JOEJAGENT
EatCornTwice
Reviewed November 23, 2009

No Frills "Luxury" Hotel-
- No breakfast.
- No Happy Hour. Just "Shula's Overpriced Restaurant"
- Hotel charged my group $1.00 more for drinks than the bar not 50 feet away.
- Calls from the room ranged from $1/min to $8/min to call Orlando (45 minutes away). This may not be an issue for people living in the US but many of my group came from overseas so we did not have US Cell phones to make calls.
- Fridge in room stuffed with overpriced beverages, leaving no room for locally purchased drinks and snacks. Two members of my group removed items from their fridges to make room for their snacks and got into an arguement with management upon checking out. Items were placed nearly ontop of the fridge but management wanted to charge them anyway for removing (yet not consuming) the items. (which brings us to...)
- Uncaring, unhelpful management.
- "Heated" pool was on 9th floor and outside. Pool was freezing. One plus was it's a salt-water pool so I didn't get that typical chlorine-eye burn like hotel pools often have. It was a short swim even so because the heaters weren't working.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business