“Great hotel, great price through Hotwire!”

The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
Ranked #37 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, GA
“Great hotel, great price through Hotwire!”
Reviewed October 14, 2009

The hotel was easy to find right off of the interstate. Right away we knew the area was nice, as there was a Maggiano's, P.F. Changs and other nice restaurants right across the street. Check in was a breeze, as was parking the car (we used the free, attached garage versus the pricey valet). The parking garage had an elevator that took you straight to the lobby.

Our room was on the 9th floor, looking out into the atrium (with offices on the other side). We ever managed to have a few people at their desk wave to us as we were going up the elevator!

The room was excellent, with very comfy beds, roomy bathroom, and flat-screen HD television. After remembering a few reviews about noise and the elevator, standing beside the door, I could hear the faint noise, but it was not an issue (and we were two doors down).

The roof top pool, as mentioned on here is no resort-style pool. It's very small, and the seating is very limited. It allowed us to cool off a bit, but not one that you could lay around all day.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice, 4-star hotel in Tampa!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Polish first
southwest FL
Reviewed October 13, 2009

We booked on Hotwire for $54, which was a steal!!! We were in town for Busch Gardens one day and a Rays game the next and always stay in the Westshore area. We were impressed with everything - the design, decor, restaurant,staff, etc. We have a 7 year old who came with us and the hotel does not cater to him - but then again, this is not the KidSuites, it is the Intercontinental. We saved the Shulas diners the presence of our child, lol, and ate in the lounge. The noise was ok - there were some party people on our floor somewhere, but it isn't concrete block construction, it is a hotel with a LOT of glass in the middle of an office plaza. We would totally try to get this place again. NOTE - if you self park your car, watch for an $18 valet charge. We were hit with one but when we called, they said it should be no problem for a refund.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Indiana
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Taxis were expensive. Picked us up at the hotel promptly. Poll area needs renovated. No hgt tub.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The location was great and the room was amazing. We upgraded to a one bedroom suite which was the best thing we did.

Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
nj
Reviewed September 30, 2009

My husband and I recently returned from a long weekend trip to Tampa for primarily business and some relaxation. The Intercontinental in Tampa is located just minutes from the airport which made it easy coming in on an evening flight. They do offer a shuttle, but we rented a car for our stay. The hotel offers valet parking for $18.00 per day, but the self park is just around the corner with an elevator directly to the lobby. I have never used a discount hotel reservation, but did this time so the rate was terrific. Check in was easy. The hotel share the building with an office complex. Out room faced the interior of the building which was fine, but made it impossible to see what the day was like outside. The elevator is a little loud, but just ask for a room further away as we did. The hotel has a small pool and fitness center. Not the type of pool for a vacation, but a nice sunny spot for a break between business. The concierge was helpful and service in the bar was good. There is a coffee shop in the lobby for early morning breakfast. Overall I would recommend this hotel. It is clean and service is good.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 28, 2009

This is a nicely appointed business Hotel but it's frayed around the edges. On the positive side, the in-room television was a large flat screen HD digital system with cable and plenty of station choices. The room was clean and had all the expected amenities but I was disappointed that the in-room WiFi could barely achieve half dial-up speed and was effectively unusable. While the room was clean, the shower/tub and toilet had plumbing issues with very slow draining of both, and the room door was in poor shape with a huge space between the bottom of the door and the frame; all the sounds from the hallway came streaming in. The mini-fridge only had sufficient space for the pay items and the ice machine was inoperative on my floor. The front desk personnel were courteous although they first checked me into a room that was already occupied and they seemed lost as to how that happened. All in all, I'd recommend the Hotel if you can get a substantial discount as I did using Priceline and they do have free parking.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Florida
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I stayed for one night and paid $169 for an executive room, which included free valet parking and free wireless internet. The room was very clean and nicely done. The bed was comfortable, but nothing to rave about. The hotel pays attention to detail and the service there is great. My room window had a "view" of the attached office building windows next door. Their windows were tinted so I couldn't see them, but I had a fish in a fishbowl kind of feeling with the curtains open. The hotel was very busy so each time I wanted to leave I had to call the valet 10 minutes ahead of time to get my vehicle. These were all minor details to me since I was only going to be there one night. My main complaints were the hallway and plumbing (?) noise and the A/C not working well. When I arrived and walked in the room for the first time, around 5:00pm, it was kind of hot and felt stuffy and damp. I checked the thermostat and it was set at 65 degrees. I felt some cool air coming out of the vents, so I assumed that maybe the thermostat was just set there and the room needed time to cool off. I went to dinner and out for a while. When I got back to my room around midnight, it was a little cooler but not much improved. By then I was too tired to do anything about it, so I slept in a stuffy warm room. I didn't sleep great and around 6:00am I started hearing plumbing noises - water running and a squeaking noise in the walls above me (I assume that was the plumbing). I also heard doors slamming in the hallway now and then as people left. The plumbing/squeaking noise went on forever and was driving me crazy. Luckily the clock radio by the bed had a sound soother on it, so I set it on a rain sound and cranked up the volume. I was looking for a really comfortable, cool room and a good night's sleep and I got neither. Probably just bad luck, since most people seem very happy with their experience at this hotel. Overall though, I would recommend the hotel and the location for business travelers, but not for leisure travelers.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo