“Great Place to Stay for adults, not so much for kids.”

The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
Ranked #37 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
southwest FL
“Great Place to Stay for adults, not so much for kids.”
Reviewed October 13, 2009

We booked on Hotwire for $54, which was a steal!!! We were in town for Busch Gardens one day and a Rays game the next and always stay in the Westshore area. We were impressed with everything - the design, decor, restaurant,staff, etc. We have a 7 year old who came with us and the hotel does not cater to him - but then again, this is not the KidSuites, it is the Intercontinental. We saved the Shulas diners the presence of our child, lol, and ate in the lounge. The noise was ok - there were some party people on our floor somewhere, but it isn't concrete block construction, it is a hotel with a LOT of glass in the middle of an office plaza. We would totally try to get this place again. NOTE - if you self park your car, watch for an $18 valet charge. We were hit with one but when we called, they said it should be no problem for a refund.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Polish first
Indiana
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Taxis were expensive. Picked us up at the hotel promptly. Poll area needs renovated. No hgt tub.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The location was great and the room was amazing. We upgraded to a one bedroom suite which was the best thing we did.

Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
nj
Reviewed September 30, 2009

My husband and I recently returned from a long weekend trip to Tampa for primarily business and some relaxation. The Intercontinental in Tampa is located just minutes from the airport which made it easy coming in on an evening flight. They do offer a shuttle, but we rented a car for our stay. The hotel offers valet parking for $18.00 per day, but the self park is just around the corner with an elevator directly to the lobby. I have never used a discount hotel reservation, but did this time so the rate was terrific. Check in was easy. The hotel share the building with an office complex. Out room faced the interior of the building which was fine, but made it impossible to see what the day was like outside. The elevator is a little loud, but just ask for a room further away as we did. The hotel has a small pool and fitness center. Not the type of pool for a vacation, but a nice sunny spot for a break between business. The concierge was helpful and service in the bar was good. There is a coffee shop in the lobby for early morning breakfast. Overall I would recommend this hotel. It is clean and service is good.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 28, 2009

This is a nicely appointed business Hotel but it's frayed around the edges. On the positive side, the in-room television was a large flat screen HD digital system with cable and plenty of station choices. The room was clean and had all the expected amenities but I was disappointed that the in-room WiFi could barely achieve half dial-up speed and was effectively unusable. While the room was clean, the shower/tub and toilet had plumbing issues with very slow draining of both, and the room door was in poor shape with a huge space between the bottom of the door and the frame; all the sounds from the hallway came streaming in. The mini-fridge only had sufficient space for the pay items and the ice machine was inoperative on my floor. The front desk personnel were courteous although they first checked me into a room that was already occupied and they seemed lost as to how that happened. All in all, I'd recommend the Hotel if you can get a substantial discount as I did using Priceline and they do have free parking.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Florida
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I stayed for one night and paid $169 for an executive room, which included free valet parking and free wireless internet. The room was very clean and nicely done. The bed was comfortable, but nothing to rave about. The hotel pays attention to detail and the service there is great. My room window had a "view" of the attached office building windows next door. Their windows were tinted so I couldn't see them, but I had a fish in a fishbowl kind of feeling with the curtains open. The hotel was very busy so each time I wanted to leave I had to call the valet 10 minutes ahead of time to get my vehicle. These were all minor details to me since I was only going to be there one night. My main complaints were the hallway and plumbing (?) noise and the A/C not working well. When I arrived and walked in the room for the first time, around 5:00pm, it was kind of hot and felt stuffy and damp. I checked the thermostat and it was set at 65 degrees. I felt some cool air coming out of the vents, so I assumed that maybe the thermostat was just set there and the room needed time to cool off. I went to dinner and out for a while. When I got back to my room around midnight, it was a little cooler but not much improved. By then I was too tired to do anything about it, so I slept in a stuffy warm room. I didn't sleep great and around 6:00am I started hearing plumbing noises - water running and a squeaking noise in the walls above me (I assume that was the plumbing). I also heard doors slamming in the hallway now and then as people left. The plumbing/squeaking noise went on forever and was driving me crazy. Luckily the clock radio by the bed had a sound soother on it, so I set it on a rain sound and cranked up the volume. I was looking for a really comfortable, cool room and a good night's sleep and I got neither. Probably just bad luck, since most people seem very happy with their experience at this hotel. Overall though, I would recommend the hotel and the location for business travelers, but not for leisure travelers.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Burlington, MA
Reviewed September 4, 2009

We recently completed a 6 night, 5 day stay at the Intercontinental and were overall pleased with our choice for what we paid. We booked a package deal through Hotwire at a bargain price that included our hotel accomodations at the Intercontinental. We were looking for a modern hotel that offered convenient access to shopping, beaches and St. Petersburg (to see the Red Sox vs Rays). The hotel met these expectations!

Location
The hotel is located just off of Westshore Blvd which has a mall with a movie theatre just across the street. This was convenient for rainy days. There are also several great restaurants in 5 minute (driving) radius and several within walking distance. Both St. Pete and Clearwater Beach were about a 25 minute drives across the nearby causeways. Downtown Tampa/Ybor was about 15-20 minutes away. The hotel was a great central home base for the Tampa area's attractions.

Room
Our room seemed to have been recently renovated and offered modern comforts like HDTV, and iPOD docking station, marble vanity in the bath, etc. The bed was very comfortable (if you like soft beds) but was so high up you almost needed a step stool to get into it. The room also offered a lounge chair with an ottoman that was a comfortable reading spot. There was ample storage including a large closet and an oversized armoire/dresser. The armoire opened up to reveal a laptop sized safe and a fully stocked mini fridge. I also appreciated the many places to plug in chargers for the numerous devices we all now carry. The one drawback I saw about the room was that the furniture was clearly oversized for the room which made the room seem crowded at times. The large desk did not fit well its location and protruded from the wall.

I liked the layout of the bathroom (with the exception of the light switch being inside the bathroom rather than outside). There was ample space for your toiletries and a full bath tub.

We did not hear much noise despite our floor being fully occupied. The only noise came from the thin doors from inconsiderate guests talking loudly as they made their way to their rooms.

We had a room that looked out on the parking garage, interior corridor of the office park and directly at someone's office. In order to have privacy. we had to keep our curtains closed. The area was already dark and with the darkening curtains closed, we found it hard to tell what time of the day it was (which helped with sleeping in).

The check in process was quick and efficient. Service personnell were available if you needed them but did not go out of their way to be overly friendly. I likened it to a business hotel feel. There was a desk for a concierge, but I never saw it actually staffed. My only "complaint" was housekeeping. On more than one occassion we were given only one towel (despite there clearly being 2 people staying in the room). When we would search for a housekeeper, we could not find her, so we just took towels off of her cart. I also saw trash in the hallways and waiting area by the elevators left by other hotel guests. These items often stayed in the place for over a 24 hour period. Toiletries were refreshed every day and the room was kept very clean.

Amenities
Room service prices seemed fairly reasonable (considering the food came from Shula's). However, the 21% service fee seemed exorbitant. We loved the free in room wireless that was very reliable and offered good speeds. The hotel lounge area looked inviting with comfortable chairs and flat screen tv's. We did check out the pool area and were disappointed with the size of the pool and lack of seating space. The area can accomodate 10 people maximum and most of the people up there were smoking (despite this being a non-smoking hotel). It did offer a nice view of the bay. Parking was always available (we chose the self-park option) and free. The garage tended to be more full on the weekdays when the office tenants were working and business functions were taking place at the hotel.

Overall
The general feel of the hotel is that it is a business hotel. There were not many children staying at the hotel- it did not seem very kid friendly. When returning from a beach day, I felt somewhat out of place walking through the main lobby in beach gear amongst full business suits. It seems like the hotel tolerates leisure travelers so they can fill their rooms, but does not reach out to this audience. I found it interesting that most of the leisure travelers seemed to all be placed on the lower levels of the hotel (floors 3 & 4).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple