“Nice Hotel-For Business Travelers”

The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
Ranked #37 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Antonio,TX
“Nice Hotel-For Business Travelers”
Reviewed August 9, 2009

The service was excellent except for the valet guy who made me park in the rain when I was checking in and I told him I would park it myself in the free parking lot. The rooms are very nice. The beds were very HIGH off the ground. We had to lay pillows on the floor because we were afraid our kid might roll off the bed all the way down. The pool on the 9th floor is somewhat bland. The view from their is nice though. The hotel is adjoined with an office bldg. The fridge is crammed with mini bars items and we could not use it for personal use. We were charged for the mini bar and did not use it. They happily refunded our money though. The hotel itself is quite nice but it's not kid friendly.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed August 9, 2009

My biggest problem with this hotel is I was expecting more, especially having read the postive reviews. There is just nothing exceptional about the place. The rooms are nice and clean although as previous reviews have highlighted the sound proofing is appalling, although I must say as a frequent business traveller I find this the case with a lot of hotels. The staff were very nice and helpful and sorted me out a late checkout which given the hotel was fully booked was quite an achievement.
The free wifi was a welcome change!
If you travelling on business for just one or two day this place will meet your needs, just don't expect too much

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
orlando, FL
Reviewed August 4, 2009

We spent the weekend at the Tampa InterContinental and wish we could stay longer. The Junior Suite was great for us with a nook for my daughter's crib and a pullout sofa in the living room for my son. Rooms were very clean, well appointed and a great view of downtown.

We had drinks at the No Name Bar. Service was prompt and the sofa seating around the bar was a great place to visit. We also had breakfast at the restaurant (Shula's). The brunch was convenient and pretty good, but a little pricey.

The hotel location is excellent. An airport shuttle can get you in our out of town quickly. The Westshore Mall is across the street and the more upscale International Mall is just a few miles away. Several restaurants are withing walking distance.

The rooftop pool was nice, though a lot less elegant than the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I have to give this hotel an average review. The rooms are great, very clean, great beds, great HD TV. The hotel itself is very nice visually but the soundproofing in the rooms is extremely poor. Luckily I only spent one night here as I was awake til the early hours with the noise from passing guests, the lift and adjacent rooms. This was a big let down after our good first impressions.

Free parking in the car park at the back is nice, as is the location. I cannot recommend this place to light sleepers.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Based on all the great reviews, I was very excited at winning the Intercontinental for 4 nights on Priceline. My wife was returning from an international flight and we wanted a nice, quiet hotel for her to recuperate the first 2 nights and then use our other 2 days and nights to enjoy Tampa/St. Pete. Within 30 seconds of check-in, the front desk clerk made mention of my being a Priceline customer. I had asked her if our reservation reflected 4 nights rather than 2, as I'd decided to make a mini-vacation of it and so I had added 2 nights via Priceline to our reservation before coming. She replied that she couldn't do anything about it "seeing as you are a Priceline customer." I politely replied that I wasn't asking her to "do" anything, I just wanted to know if their records had us down for the correct number of nights. Because her reply had nothing to do with what I had asked, it was clear to me that she had just been waiting to use her pre-formulated "I can't help you because you're a Priceline/Hotwire customer" response.

Or room (1035) looked out over the interior courtyard and is close to and directly across from people's offices and other guest rooms. In other words, unless you want others to be able to see right into your room - and trust me, they can, as it's that close - you have to leave your blackout drapes closed. The king bed was comfortable and had great bedding, but every 30 - 45 seconds we were subjected to an annoying buzzing sound. We could also hear the loud-talking guests who were in the suite across the hall and 2 doors down. The buzzing noise was unrelenting, so after the first night I requested a room change and described the noise to the clerk and also told her about the loud-mouthed family. The clerk said the buzzing was the elevator and she seemed familiar with complaints about it. I was surprised an elevator would make such an annoying and far-reaching sound, as we were several doors away from it. Perhaps this is an issue with elevators that are open on one side, rather than fully enclosed in a shaft? They moved us to another room on another floor (room 703); however, we were still able to hear the buzz of every single start and every single stop of the elevator, and the a/c in the room was not loud enough to mask it. Anyway, the next morning, I told them the buzzing was still at an intolerable level and I explained that my wife was trying to recoup from a 24-hour flight. They added us to an existing list of other guests requesting room changes and we returned to our room to wait.

While waiting in our room, we overheard every word of conversation between 2 people in an adjacent room who were speaking in a normal tone of voice. Then, we heard a guest in a room above us urinating in the toilet. A few doors down a baby began crying. The door of the guest room with the baby was fully shut at the time. A maid talking in a normal tone of voice across the hall may as well have been in the room with us. What I'm trying to say is this: The hotel's interior soundproofing, if there is any at all, is bare minimum. I've stayed in motor inns that had better soundproofing than this 4-star hotel. If it had just been an issue of noisy elevators and another move farther away would have fixed it, I'd have been willing to move a second time. However, since it was apparent that the hotel's entire interior soundproofing is sub-standard, I decided to just check out and go home, where it is quieter. We are lucky that we live only 2 hours away - we come to Tampa for weekend get-away's. 2 female desk clerks (one training the other) checked us out. We were not offered any recompense, such as taking off the one night valet parking fee (we had parked at the mall across the street for free the 2nd night in order to avoid the $18 valet charge).

Not trying to sound like a curmudgeon, but because different people look for different things and have different priorities, I try to be thorough with my reviews - naming all pros and cons of a stay. We thought the rooms were nicely decorated and adequate in size. Bath towels were plentiful and fluffy; great showerhead. The airport shuttle's last run is at 1 a.m., just so you know. I ordered a room service hamburger the first night that was very good. Be aware that the waiter/waitress tip/gratuity is called a "service charge" and is already added in, along with an additional $3 delivery fee. So, on the tip line on the receipt, just draw a line or write zero unless you just want to tip more.

The gym is nice - elliptical machines, stair steppers, treadmills with their own tv and free weights.

The pool and pool area is extremely small and there's nothing the least attractive about it. There were 4 - 6 lounge chairs and a few umbrella tables with chairs and all were taken every time we checked. People are packed in like sardines in this small of an area. We're talking mere inches available between chairs, which is way too close for comfort, even if there had been any available.

The small coffee shop they have charges a whopping 3 & 4 dollars even for a basic cup of coffee. It closes at noon on weekends. We walked across Westshore Blvd to the Starbucks that also has a Panera Bread next to it. We didn't eat at Shula's, so I have no comment on that.

Flat screen tv with HD channels was superb. Free wi-fi is a very nice amenity.

Unfortunately, the bad far exceeded the good here and we will not be returning. We'll stick with the Sheraton Riverwalk or Hyatt Regency downtown, but if we do stay at the airport again we'll shoot for the Marriott or Grand Hyatt.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dan23Florida
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 18, 2009

I stayed here 2 nights for a wedding across the bay. Got an amazing $45 a night deal on Priceline. Was expecting the Grand Hyatt but was very satisfied with this property. Am local and this was my first time here. Great hotel in an office building type setting. Elevators are glass and give you a nice view of the office building lobby as you go up. Check in was fast and convenient.

Hotel is older but nicely redone with modern furnishings and bathroom. The bath products smelled particularly good and there were a few extra goodies included (q tips, cotton balls and the like) that was appreciated. Beds were comfortable and flat screen tv had a great picture. Very quiet in my room with an interior view of offices. Unusual but kind of cool!

The pool is mediocre...the Grand Hyatt blows this place away if you are looking for a pool. Parking here is free and convenient. Internet is also free and there is a free business center in the lobby. Location is extremely convenient with Westshore Mall directly across the street.

Great overall experience at the Intercontinental Tampa. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank everyshadeofblue
Grand Cayman
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I spent one night here in June 2009 - it was exactly what I expected from a hotel of this chain. I was not surprised and I was not disappointed. The room was clean and the service was very good. The hotel is over the street from a mall which is convenient. The hotel is also about 10 mins from the Airport. I will certainly return here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo