The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
Ranked #35 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night on our way back home from Key West. If we return to Tampa, I will stay somewhere else. I had ordered a bayview room and that was a joke. The bay was so far away it didn't do anything for you. My view was Kennedy Blvd and the room has floor to ceiling glass which is quite intimidating as we were high up. The pool is small, on the 9th floor outside and I wasn't impressed. Save your money and go elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeff R, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Laurie, I am sorry you did not have a pleasant stay with us. I wish you the best in your upcoming travels!

-Jeff R.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,525)

Reviewed February 24, 2014

The Intercontinental Hotel Tampa has been the WORST experience we have ever had traveling. First when we checked in and asked about the Spring Training discount they were running on their website not one associate could tell us anything about the deal....bad internal awareness of their marketing and promotions. Then we have spent two entire days trying to get our room cleaned talking to multiple front desk associates and it is currently 3:00 pm of the second day with still NO room cleaning and NO new supply of towels and linens. How many times must we ask to get our room cleaned...guess 6x isn't enough. Their only resolution for this horrible service....free meal at the in-house restaurant. Food is not going to clean the room or increase service satisfaction. Also If you do stay here, which definitely don't recommend you do, make sure to bring your tablet because it will be bigger than the tv in the room.

We have stayed at this Intercontinental three times now with each time worse than the next in satisfaction.

Recommendation of this hotel is a negative 5. Will never stay here again and don't recommend you do as well. Maybe Intercontinental needs to remember how and why they earned the awards they like to pride themselves on.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank HollidayMusso
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear HollidayMusso,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We are very disappointed to hear about your experience at our hotel. We are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. It is truly regrettable that there were certain aspects of your visit that did not meet your expectations in particular the unsatisfactory housekeeping services and the insufficient information regarding the Spring Training package. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves. Please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We sent you a private message regarding this particular stay.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I recently stayed at the InterContinental near the Tampa Airport for two meetings - two nights each time. The staff greeted me warmly on my return less than one week after the first stay and handled my requests for room location thoughtfully. At check-in Kathryn was especially gracious and accommodating - her welcome smile and knowledge of the property were impressive. She really cared about ensuring that my stay was comfortable. In addition, this hotel pays attention to the little things that matter when one is away from home for work, such as having an umbrella to use in the rain, providing king sized pillows on king beds, and readily giving directions to local shops, etc. I truly appreciated the quiet, clean, comfortable accommodations. It is a great location because one can walk to a shopping mall, a variety of restaurants (P.F.Changs, Maggiano's), and there is even a pharmacy, Starbucks and Panera nearby. I will look forward to returning to the InterContinental during future visits to Tampa.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are quiet and minimize traffic noise; rooms with outside views are best.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank CaptMom08

Eleanor, We are grateful for such fantastic remarks about the InterContinental Tampa! We are happy that you enjoyed all aspects of our hotel and the services we offer! We loved knowing that the InterContinental was conveniently located for you to indulge in restaurants nearby. We also look forward to your return, and hope you have a safe trip back here.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Just returned from a wedding in Tampa and stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel off of Kennedy Blvd. The hotel is nice with glass-front elevators facing the atrium. Yes, I did stand like Superman bounding upwards into the sky -- so? The room was nicely appointed but nothing special or exotic. It was, however, quite comfortable and quiet. The two sore spots were the TV where channel changing was a challenge (it has that ubiquitous central command box that all hotels seem to use), and the shower with water pressure so low it could be classified as a misting device rather than a shower. The bed was very comfortable and the variety of pillows in different firmnesses let me pick out the right one to cradle my head and prevented a morning crick in my neck.
There is valet parking at $18 a day but there is also attached parking for free. The parking garage elevator takes you to the Lobby and is located at the furthest back of the hotel. I parked out front in the fire lane, checked in (a quick affair), dumped my gear in the room, and went back down to park with no hassles. The hotel has a Shula's steakhouse (which I did not get to try) and also has a snack bar with juices and pastries (which I also did not get to try - hey, I was only there overnight). The hotel is about 7mi from Tampa International airport but I did not hear any planes during my stay.
All in all I would recommend this hotel and, barring a need to be closer to something else the next time I am in Tampa, I will likely be staying there again. Maybe then I can review Shula's and the little snack bar. I might even bring a cape for the elevator ride.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Jeff R, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

It is great to hear that the bed was comfortable for you so you could get a good night sleep! Thank you for your feedback, I have brought it up with our engineering department. I hope to see you back soon with your superman cape!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I visited the Tampa area on business and won the Intercontinental on Priceline for $65/night, which I thought was a steal. This was a great property overall.

The ONLY minor issue was that there wasn't a window to the outside world, the window looks down into the hotels atrium and directly into business offices, which made me hesitant to open the curtains -- its slightly uncomfortable. So here's a tip -- ask for a room with an OUTSIDE view. Oh, and before I forget, the parking lot is free, but its a bit of a walk to get to the main lobby (down some elevators) and then up more elevators to your room. There's no alternative except Valet.

Other than that, the stay was quite comfortable and pleasing. The room smelled very fresh, the linens were clean, the restroom nicely appointed (wish I could have swiped a couple more of those lotions, they smelled great) and I really liked this stay. I also was kicking myself for not having made enough time to visit Shula's Steakhouse that was on site.

Hopefully my pictures will give you more insight into the place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an outside view, otherwise you'll be looking at the interior atrium.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

I am happy to hear the room met your standards here at the InterContinental Tampa. I look forward to having you stay with us again so you can try out Shula’s Steakhouse!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

6:30 am
Some one knock on my room very loud, even though I already place "do not disturb" sign on the door. Because of that I can not sleep. At 7:15, I called the front desk and the person told me some one was looking for missing keys, which I found it on the bed sheet when the house keeping delivered extra amenities and forgot to take the key with him, I m going to complaint later on and see what is the action the manager will do.

• Stayed: February 2014

I apologize for the inconvenience you faced when staying with us! I have brought this to my manager’s attention to make sure we avoid this issue. I wish you the best of luck with prospective travels.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

First I am an ambassador with IHG. Many upgrades without even asking like fruit and water in the room. A free movie $17.99 value, Free room upgrade ( when available) I have stayed at this hotel 10 times now and have ALWAYS received a junior suite upgrade. The suites are spacious , warm feeling and very comfortable( my 20 year old daughter told me she could live there without a problem).

I just wanted to say a special thanks to Bryan at the front desk. Even though I didn't meet him in person he went above and beyond with helping me with this reservation. I called three times as I wanted to make sure we had a room. ( we booked this room thru the volleyball housing authority) there was one tournament in Orlando that also booked ours rooms and they didn't have one when we arrived. ( This was at a hyatt at universal.) Bryan assured me that we had a room and he also thanked me for being an ambassador member. Bryan told me he would see what he could do to get me upgraded as well. When I arrived I was welcomed by katherine as an ambassador member and told that I was indeed upgraded to a junior suite!!! ( thank you Bryan) since this went thru the housing authority I had no idea if I was eligible for an upgrade. Katherine was so professional and the most helpful!!! As I was in need of a massage and was asking her for recommendations. She booked a person to come to the hotel to give me a massage as well as cancel it when I found one at the convention center that did it between games for my daughter. I talked to Katherine several more times on my visit and I want to tell you that she went above and beyond any request I made that weekend.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a junior suite or become an ambassador and get upgraded free if they have availab...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

I am overwhelmed with joy to hear that you had such an excellent stay with us at the InterContinental Tampa! Thank you for such kind comments about Brian and Kathryn, they are both excellent members of our team here at the InterContinental. We do appreciate the loyalty as an ambassador, and hope to have you as our guest again!