“Excellent! Amazing! Will Stay Here Again ;-)” 5 of 5 stars

InterContinental Hotel Tampa
Ranked #33 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bowie, Maryland
“Excellent! Amazing! Will Stay Here Again ;-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I arrived in Tampa Florida on July 26th 2013 @2:00am. After a horrible plane ride I was ready to get to the hotel that I paid for which was the Holiday Inn & Suites near Busch Gardens Tampa (Hotel provided by the package I purchased through Busch Gardens.com). After a few hours in that FILTHY, OLD, MOLDY hotel I decided I needed to leave immediately. I could not spend MY ENTIRE vacation there.

I QUICKLY made another reservation the next morning for the InterContinental Hotel. I arrived on July 27th 2013. I was given clear directions from the valet attendant for the FREE PARKING PROVIDED around the corner. When I walked into the hotel I was greeted by Yesenia Moreno ("Yessy" on her name tag). Not only was she extremely polite, she was friendly during my entire check-in and check-out process.

Since this was my first time in Tampa I asked Yessy what things my brother and I could do to make this a great experience. Yessy went above and beyond by printing out directions to Siesta Key Beach for me and sliding them underneath my room door. All of this within the first 30 minutes of me checking into the hotel. AMAZING SERVICE!

The condition of my room was IMMACULATE and I was very pleased. While we were there I also enjoyed Shula's Restaurant for breakfast! Which was YUMMMYYY!!! The service was great and I made sure to leave my servers a tip.

I am very big on customer service and cleanliness. Yessy and the staff at the Intercontinental Hotel quickly turned my trip from hell into an AMAZING experience. As long as I visit Tampa I will continue to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Patricia M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Polish first
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a terrific stay at the Intercontinental Tampa. Great location and close to the airport. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was attentive to our needs. We love the Illy Café in the lobby and Shula's Steak House is the right place for dinner. Across the street is the Westshore Mall offering a number of restaurants, stores and an AMC Cinema.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Business meetings all weekend. Good proximity to the airport. Very nice Rooms, well maintained. Hotel restaurant, 'Shula's' is excellent with great service. Pool up on top is a little short for lap swimming. Fitness room is clean and the equipment is good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Altamonte Springs, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

A clean, comfortable room with an amazingly comfortable bed. Bay view was partially obstructed by building, but was pretty anyway. Nice that it had a parking garage that you could put your car in the shade. Well appointed room and friendly staff. Advised staff of maintenance issues that were not overall detractors of visit and was given chocolates. The only real problem with the place is temporary. All day long there was jackhammer noise from renovations that are ongoing

Room Tip: Might want a room on the east side away from the bay, as the afternoon sun made the room warm.
Green Features: Was impressed that there were recycle bins and glasses instead of disposable cups.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Davie, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked 1 night at this "4 star hotel", InterContinental Hotel Tampa. When we arrived, we noticed that there was a large portion of the place blocked off due to construction. Not really a big deal, but it was quite an eye sore. I checked in and the woman at the front desk was nice and friendly. That was the only enjoyable part of our whole stay.

We used the self parking because the valet is $18/night. The valet will put your car in the exact same garage as the self parking and it's connected to the hotel. Don't waste your money on valeting for $18 when you can easily park the car yourself. It isn't even a far walk.

When we got to our room, we were completely shocked to see how TINY it was. This was due to the fact that the room was on the very end of the hotel. The shape of the hotel meant that the room was literally "cut in half" diagonally with a large window that spanned the entire length of the room. It was VERY SMALL and uncomfortable. I can't stress this enough. I opened the curtains, expecting some GRAND VIEW out the large window and was disappointed when I found that the parking garage was all I could see.

I called the front desk to let them know I was unhappy with the room and asked if there was anything they could do for me. I was told that I had booked a "last availability" room type and they were fully booked. When I said "So I got the VERY last room in the entire hotel?" she dodged the question and repeated what she just said.

They did NOTHING for us and we left very unhappy.

Room Tip: Avoid room 508 if you're claustrophobic.
Green Features: Didn't notice any environmentally-friendly practices at all. They waste paper by giving out cards that say to leave a review on TripAdvisor.com.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank MyHonestReviews2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Philip D,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We appreciate you taking time to help us continually improve our guests services.

I apologize for you did not find your room to your liking and if our parking services has negatively affected your overall experience with us. We deeply regret the inconvenience and dissatisfaction these aspects have caused you.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My home when I travel in Tampa Bay. Haven't had a bad experience yet. Rooms are nice. Close to mall and shopping. Close to airport and downtown Tampa. Mini bar pricey, but I don't do minibars anyway. Maggianos, Pf chang's, Starbucks, Panerabread are all across the street. West shore Plaza Mall across the Street. International Mall four blocks away...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Clermont, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Got a deal on Priceline Express Deals and couldn't have been happier....Hotel staff was friendly, location ideal for business and airport for you business travelers......Parking Garage a little out of the way but more convenient and cheaper than using the valet. Room was comfortable, air conditioning worked the best of any hotels I have stayed at in quite some time. Shula's Steakhouse on premise and you can even eat at their lobby bar which is convenient.....Definitely would stay here again......

Room Tip: Rooms away from elevator are quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business