“Not what it use to be....”

The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
Ranked #34 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I spend Saturday night at this Hotel where we have spent many night before when visiting the Tampa Bay area. Most hotels charge to valet park so I was not surprised by the $18 daily charge. The rooms need work, like the drains in the shower tub and bathroom sink drain extremely slow and I mention that on my last visit to this hotel. This time the A/C did not perform to an acceptable standard and when I called down to the front desk they told me engineering would check it out. We left the property around 6pm for a dinner reservation and returned around 10pm to find the room was still hot as before we left. This will be my last time staying here as there are better properties in Tampa with working A/C and drains that are not always clogged up. It a shame that this property is not what it used to be.

1  Thank kwmayse
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear kwmayse,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Please accept our apologies for the condition in which you found your room. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We will be addressing the matters with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future.

Jaime W
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,556)

Reviewed June 19, 2013

The rooms and facility are great. However, we felt that due to getting a great deal on Priceline, we were treated poorly by the staff.

We stayed 2 nights while our child had heart surgery at a nearby hospital.

My husband went back to the hotel to sleep and the room was not made up. At no time did maid service enter or fix up the room, however, they did add $37 worth of charges on our room from the minibar. (We did not consume anything from the minibar).

When husband asked for room to be made up, they were extremely put out and insisted that they had not skipped his room.

We ended up needing to stay an additional night due to complicaitons from surgery, however we chose to take our business to another hotel because of the lack of customer service here.

I expected more from ICH brand and was disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jesbribraali

Dear jesbribraali,

Krysllin G.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Intercontinental Tampa. We were going on a cruise and the staff helped us make arrangements to get there. I would recommend it to anyone. Convenient to restaurants and attractions in the area. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for helping us with our car rental to see my husband's mother. She went out of her way to help us.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
JGaffney, Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thanks for the great review Nancy, Kathryn does a wonderful job taking great care of our guests. Thanks for taking the time to recognize her!
-John

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here in May of 2013. My stay went sour right away, after the front desk staff asked for an additional card (besides the one we'd given to hold the room) for "incidentals". I was told that there would be a $75 hold on the card. I explicitly asked the person I was dealing with two separate times if there would be any additional holds or charges related to the room placed on this card. I was told "no".
An hour later I was checking my account and found that a $1000 hold was placed on my card. I spent the next 2 days dealing with various workers and management trying to get the hold reversed. The amount of the "hold" shows up on their computer screen before swiping the card, so there is no legitimate reason why this “simple mistake” (as one employee called it) should happen. After multiple heated, angry conversations with various front desk staff and managers, they finally agreed to take a night's stay off my charge. In my opinion, it is fraudulent to tell someone "I'm swiping your card for a $75 charge/hold" or something to that effect when you're really swiping it for a different amount of money. Furthermore, some of their employees acted like I was inconveniencing them by insisting that they reverse the hold (which required multiple calls to a credit card company that turned out to have equally poor customer service). To say that I was unimpressed with the competence level, attitudes, and behavior of some of their front desk staff is a gross understatement.

Room Tip: Having to make multiple phone calls and trips to the front desk at 1 or 2 am to attempt to deal with...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank JJJPor
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear JJJPor,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service and it is our regret that we failed to deliver an exemplary performance in this context. I sincerely apologize for the challenges you experienced dealing with our hotel staff. We want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our team members. Please be confident that your comments will be shared with the hotel management. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera P

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised and very pleased with the condition,service and location of this hotel. It is convenient to the airport,casino,attractions and not far from the beaches.I paid about $100 /night for a weekend, a great value. A mall across the street and many restaurants to choose from.

2  Thank JOHNJAX
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was a very nice place to stay for the weekend, and at the price I got it for $119 a night I would recommend to everyone who is looking to be on Vacation! The location is great with a mall and movie theater alone with lots of fine and casual dining all about a 3 minutes walk from the hotel. You can tell they pride themselves on their customer service and do a fantastic job of providing it.

The actual hotel is a little awkward because half the building is an office building but still a great stay. The one reason I did not give them a 5 rating was because they charged $12/ per 24 hours for internet. Really in 2013 were still charging for internet?? Very silly!

Would stay here again and recommend to everyone!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We return to the Intercontinental Hotel whenever we visit Tampa. The location, superb staff, and Shula's Resraurant make every visit a pleasant occasion but this trip was over the top! To help us celebrate our 50th anniversary, Tiffany Rose, the Concierge, surprised us with a box of chocolates and complimentary room upgrade to a suite!!!!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the atrium.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Betsy, Thanks for sharing your experience. Tiffany is just wonderful! I am so pleased to hear she helped make your stay enjoyable.
-John