The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Edgewood, New Mexico
“Comedy of Errors”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stay in hotels so often that I have learned to overlook most small problems and just chalk it up to the “that’s life on the road.” If you’ve read my other reviews you’ll notice that I even try to look for the humor in most situations. This stay at the IC Tampa had so many things wrong with it that I actually started wondering if I was on one of those prank TV shows or something.

Let me preface this review with the fact that I am a Platinum Royal Ambassador. This means that I stay with the IHG brand a lot. It also means that I know how things are *supposed* to work. This hotel didn't work for me. It didn't work at all.

First.
When I checked into the hotel I was told that I was "upgraded" to a junior suite. It was a very nice little corner suite on the second floor. It sounded like it was situated right on top of the Daytona Raceway. Not conducive to a good night’s sleep. Not at all.

Second.
During the first night I woke up and realized that the mattress pad/cover was broken I was sleeping on a bare mattress covered with only a thin sheet. The next morning I stopped by the front desk and asked that they notify housekeeping to have the mattress cover replaced. When I returned I discovered that it had been replaced with a queen-size mattress cover. My bed was a king. What that means is that I was expected to sleep on a bed at with mostly bare mattress. Yuck. I asked again to have it replaced. Finally, after three tries it was replaced with a brand new mattress cover. I am sure they finally went out and bought it to appease me - but fully covered mattresses should be the norm - not the exception.

Third.
I could barely pull out the shower handle. It was so difficult to pull it out that I almost gave up and sat in the sink.

Fourth.
I was given a given a fruit tray as a welcome gift. A very nice gesture, but it featured tiny cooking bananas that were so green they were inedible.

Fifth.
When I checked in I requested to have the mini-bar restocked during my stay. It was never refilled until I called and asked. The last day I was told that the person in charge had gone home. During a stay like that, one really needs the mini-bar.

As for the rest of the hotel? I didn't try the restaurant or bar so I can't report on them. I went across the street and had one meal at Panera Bread and another at a restaurant in the mall. The best part of this hotel is its location. I will recommend the location.

Meanwhile, back at the hotel I had several other service issues, but one young man at the desk (I believe his name was Tom) was pleasant and professional. I know he dreaded seeing me back at the desk, but he addressed my concerns and tried to help. Eventually one of the managers did meet me personally. He was also very nice, but by then I’d already formed my general opinion of the property. When so many things are wrong it is very difficult to make it right.

So what do I think about my overall experience with IC Tampa? I think the hotel needs to get its act together. I doubt I'll be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AnotherNiteOnTheRoad
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear AnotherNiteOnTheRoad,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a candid feedback.

Joel B
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I'd been planning my destination wedding in the Tampa area for almost a year and was very excited to have my family & friends stay on this property. At first sight, it's luxurious & I was approached by some very knowledgeable & pleasant sales and catering staff to handle my needs. However, it seems once they secured my business & passed me on to another team of people, great service was no longer needed (red flag #1).

A couple of weeks before my wedding, I was in contact with the hotel's Group's Coordinator. I asked some very basic questions regarding having my dress steamed & transportation. After days of no answer (red flag #2), I finally received a response from a Concierge associate.

Next, I spent a great deal of time assembling welcome bags for my guests & paid good money to have them shipped to the hotel prior to my guests' arrival with clear email communication only to find out that the bags weren't being distributed. My Matron-of-Honor spent hours with their night manager to figure out who had checked in & who hadn't at that point.

There were two mandatory evacuations (one during the late evening) apparently due to someone pulling the fire alarm & my elderly guests had to take several flights of stairs "to safety".

Housekeeping was very slow to respond to requests, most of my wedding day morning was spent begging for service before my wedding vendors arrived. The air conditioner needs repairing & makes humming sounds all day & night. Other guests complained about noise from the ice machine & elevators that weren't even a part of my group.

Lastly, a couple that were apart of my group was treated unfairly & spoken to unprofessionally due to the hotel's mistake at check-in. The hotel did not charge the guests for a half of a day of their four night stay & they were locked out of their room without proper notification. When asking for further clarification & to speak with a higher manager, security was called?!?!

A common response from this hotel is "their standards". Their standards/brand reputation aren't being reinforced by their employees at this particular location. I booked a large amount of this hotel's inventory & the hotel hasn't even responded to my email regarding this.

My advice is to avoid large parties & groups, stay away from ice machines, and check your bills clearly! Furthermore, consider The Westin, Renaissance or Hyatt! Intercontinental also charges $75 per night (not stay) for incidentals & they don't offer free shuttle in the area, only to the airport. Internet is $13 in your room per day, water is $7, breakfast buffet is $18++, and so on...they charge for everything!!!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank halljoc
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear halljoc,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ferdinand G.
Hiram, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Hi i would like to start by saying i was there for a total of 3Days. For a wedding they rude,unpleasant, not willing to accomidate you on any thing. There was a charge for every thing thats ridiculous. The bill was outrageous it should have not cost that much. Also i had more than 2 trips to talk with guest services about my bill they kept adding and not taking away. Also wanted to charge for an old outdated microwave to use for reheating our food. Overall they are Rip Off Artists I will never Stay there again I Dont Reccomend This Hotel to Anyone. Please Read RevIew . Very Dissatisfied.

Room Tip: Ask has any one visit recently so you can get a feel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Julie C,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of our property. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and I regret you were not satisfied with the level of service you received.

I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the quality and service we offer to our guests. I certainly hope that you will give us the pleasure of hosting you again on your next visit.

Joel B
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

First off, I am a member of the IHG travel club, so I stay at IHG properties (including InterContinental Hotels) frequently. The InterContinental Tampa's STAFF is amazingly customer oriented and professional, even when compared to their peer hotels. Not everything was perfect during my stay this past weekend, but EVERY issue was professionally and immediately addressed by the various staff members I addressed it with. Of particular note, Front Desk agent Andrea G. went out of her way to relocate us to another room/floor due to the amazingly disrespectful and ignorant wedding party that was in the process of "ramping up" to full strength on the 10th floor in the Ambassador suite. Her actions, performed without attitude or hesitation, preserved my confidence in not only this particular hotel and their leadership, but in the overall customer service focus of IHG. Also, noteworthy, there was a billing error due to the sensitivity of the automated mini-bar billing system, and the front desk personnel were able to resolve it without any muss or fuss. Again, kudos to them.

Sincerely, thanks to all of the staff of the InterContinental Hotel Tampa.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
JGaffney, Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thanks for the great review, we are very proud of the associates here and it means a lot to have you recognize their efforts. Thank you for staying with us.
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Hey, it's an InterContinental Hotel... no surprises here.
Rooms are super clean and well furnished... staff is fabulous... lobby bar with a late night menu...... airport shuttle... and mall across the street.
Just about perfect to me!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
We are so pleased you enjoyed everything Molly… Thanks for sharing!
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stay at the chain world-wide, my first disappointment never again. Terrible customer service, requested help with room and I was put on eternal hold...I called back twice and no help. I was actually hung up on. For the money paid, I very, very, very, big mistake.

Room Tip: Bay view does not exist,
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank diannaCalifornia
Dianna,
I sincerely apologize for not providing a better experience and want you to know this is not typical for our property. We take pride in exceptional customer service and it is very disappointing to hear we failed you.
Thank you for taking the time to share this with me, I will investigate this issue and work to improve our service.
Littleton, Colorado, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Pros -
Great property - Shula's steak house on site. Great courtyard for relaxing and enjoying a cigar.
Great location, lots of amenities nearby. Directly across the street from a good mall and a Walgreens.
Very pretty and unique hotel with glass elevators that view the central lobby which is also very pretty.
Roof top pool, although it's small, it's still cool.
FREE PARKING in an attached, covered parking garage.
24 hour room service with a decent sized menu for late night dining.

Cons -
YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR WIFI!! Really? Who still does that? Walgreens has free wifi for gods sake.........
Bad shower heads.
Clogged drains.
Doors have big gaps so you can hear people in the hall (we threw our extra pillows against the door)
Can be expensive. I'd say it's overpriced overall.

Room Tip: Get a king sized bed. The queen beds are tiny.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Eric,
Thanks for all the great feedback on your stay. We do have a great location and some wonderful amenities for our guests that we are very proud of. Thanks for taking the time to share them with future guests. I will also be sure to address the issues you experienced and take your other suggestions into consideration. Thanks again for sharing.