The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Indianapolis, Indiana
“I'll Be Back”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This was my first stay at an Intercontinental, but it won't be my last. First, they had a convenient shuttle that picked me up at the airport. Next, the check-in process was smooth, friendly, and efficient. And my room was definitely 4+ stars. I've stayed in 5-star places that were not as nice as this hotel. How many hotels have a light that automatically turns on when the closet doors are opened?

The regular room rate was less than $100, but I got a better deal on Priceline for the Friday after Thanksgiving. Room service was prompt and delivered great food after the onsite and nearby restaurants closed. A 24-hour business center is off the lobby, and free internet access is available at these computers (compared to an expensive daily cost in the room).

Although I spent just one night, I'll definitely make this hotel at the top of my list on my next trip to Tampa.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank redink46142
JGaffney, Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the great amenities and friendly associates at our hotel. It is wonderful to see you enjoyed everything so much. Thanks for choosing to stay with us.
-John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Polish first
Lehi, Utah
Reviewed December 7, 2012

One night stay waiting to board a cruise. The room was a very reasonable price (close to the "too good to be true" level). The hotel is very close to a mall and across the street from a very good little Indian restaurant. Definitely highly recommended -felt like this was an incredible price for a hotel of this quality in Tampa.

1 Thank Sengsouriya
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your pre-cruise visit to our hotel. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is only the second InterContinental I've stayed at, but won't be the last. I stayed at this hotel four nights. They have a shuttle to/from the airport. The hotel restaurant is Shula's Steakhouse, and the connecting bar is the No Name Lounge. The drinks were pricey for Tampa, but I live in DC and am quite used to inflated prices. There is a small rooftop pool with partial views of the bay in the distance, but not of Tampa skyline. This used to be another hotel and InterContinental took it over.

Pros: The suites were roomy. I appreciate the little extras such as: I like the larger bar of soap they provide better than the smaller ones normally put out for guests at other hotels. I like the turndown service in the evenings with the chocolates, the robe waiting, the room bar popped out with the ice bucket filled, and the next day's forecast written on a piece of paper. I like being greeted and helped by the staff when I needed something. I like the 3x mirror in the bathroom to assist in a nice and close shave.
The elevators seemed to be working at a good pace most of the time. The business center had most of the computers working at all times I was there.
Shula's is okay, but if you are looking for less expensive to eat, you can walk across the street. There are other places like PF Chang's and a seafood restaurant attached to the mall. I thought I saw a Taco Bell sign nearby, and there also seemed to be some sort of restaurant formed out of a gas station's old car wash across the street.

A con: I was afraid to touch any of the stuff in the mini fridge because it automatically detects movement and charges you for the item; so I couldn't tell everything they offered in there because some of the items weren't facing me.

A con: not a great location unless you are a Yankees fan or a mall shopper because it's close to the spring training facilities and a mall there. Tampa is a fairly spread out sprawling city. You are still a good 15-20 minute car ride to downtown or channelside or those types of places. So cab rides can get expensive.

A con: they didn't have a steam bath here like the one in Cologne Germany.

I would stay here again, and/or other InterContinentals now that they are expanding into the States, and look forward to it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I appreciate all of the wonderful feedback regarding our rooms, associates and outlets, as well as the helpful critique of the minibar, location and facilities. Thanks for choosing to stay with us.
New Albany, Indiana
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the rooms. The pictures on the hotel websites are much worse than the hotel. I was worried the hotel was one of these tauted 4 star hotels that have a nice lobby but 3 star rooms. The rooms were very nice. Definitely 4 star and not 3.5. No problems encountered at all. Nice furniture and bed. The desk and table lamps had plugins which is normally overlooked. Also contained a entrance way table with light and mirrror.

1 Thank NewAlbanianTraveler
Thanks for sharing your experience… It is great to hear you enjoyed your visit and we suprised you a bit!. Thanks
Mascoutah, Illinois
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I had a terrible stay at Intercontinental Tampa. On Day 2, I informed the front desk that I didn't have any hot water.... they said they sent someone to fix it Day 4 I ask again and that afternoon had a barely lukewarm bath - needless to say, for my entire 6 day stay I didn't have a hot shower. There were NO vending machines nor any microwave or fridge without a fee. We had to go to work so early that we didn't get breakfast or even any caffeine because there was no vending machines & no fridge to keep anything cold. I will never stay at this hotel again. Also, it took me 3 days, 2 calls and an email to get a copy of my receipt which had a bottled water charge on there that I didn't use.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear TYoungster,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am deeply sorry for the over all issues you had during your stay. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain some additional details regarding your experience. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Mexico, New York
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Very Nice Hotel. Great, cheap, location, services.
10 minutes from Tampa Airport.
Great for conventions. Nice Shula restaurant.
The only thing I can say is missing, they don't have a 24 hours cafeteria just in case.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
JGaffney, Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for the great review Salomon and I appreciate the feedback regarding a 24 hour cafeteria. We do have room service available overnight for some late night sandwiches. Thanks for staying!
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed 2 nights at the Intercontinental Tampa. Friendly staff through out the hotel. The hotel is close to the airport, 2 different shopping malls and several restaurants. The rooms are great. Large and spacious. Good sized bathroom. As an Gold Ambassador of Intercontinental I did miss some of the privileges that we normally get at Intercontinental Hotels and many other IHG Brands. No free internet, only a free bottle of water as amenity. The hotel has a bar and restaurant, both are nice and serves good food and drinks. The hotel did not have a club lounge either, which is standard at all other Intercontinental hotels I have stayed at. I am not sure that I would return to this property next time in Tampa.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up towards the street.
Andreas,
Thanks for taking the time to write about your visit. I am glad to see you enjoyed so much of our property from our friendly staff, clean comfortable guest rooms, great Shula’s Steakhouse and convenient location to the airport, shopping and other restaurants. I also thank you for sharing your experience as an InterContinental Ambassador; this feedback will certainly help us improve our service and offerings.
Thank you for your loyalty to our hotel and InterContinental Hotels.