The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
Ranked #34 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed here for one night while on a business trip and I don't think I'll be back. I did like the fact that the hotel had underground parking, but it is a hike and I can see the concern regarding safety issues. I was especially disappointed that the hotel did not follow my requests for room location, but it didn't prove to be a problem. However, I think the room hadn't been used in quite a while as the water was brown when I turned on the shower and there were some ants in the tub (didn't notice them upon check in the night before). Lastly, my hotel bill was messed up despite working out details with them upon check-in. On the plus side, the hotel is located directly across the street from what appears to be a nice and popular shopping center; which includes Maggiano's Italian restaurant (the WestShore Plaza). I should've eaten at Maggiano's because dining at Shula's was frustrating and disappointing; even though the steak was very good. Even with reservations we were asked to wait 10 minutes and directed to the bar (low brow tactics and very disappointing). When we were finally seated, the restaurant wasn't busy at all; with most or half of the tables being empty, which ticked off my party. Service was slow to start and the Cesar salad was drenched in dressing. Initially we wanted to eat at Bern's but waited too late to make reservations and they were booked on a Wednesday night (who knew?); should've gone to Maggiano's. In room water was $6 per bottle, which I might pay (if I absolutely needed to) at the Waldorf or Biltmore but not the Intercontinental Hotel; sorry.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
JGaffney, Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. The issues you shared are troubling to me and I assure you I am addressing these with the management team. The poor condition of your room and experience in the restaurant is completely unacceptable. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
-John

Write a ReviewReviews (1,525)

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Great hotel in a great location. The staff was great upon check in and the room was very clean and comfortable. We were able to get a room for a last minute stay in Tampa for $119 so we jumped on it however upon checking my debit card account the morning of checkout I found over $200 charged to my card instead of original price. I was told this was to cover the mini bar and other incidentals. I understand completely however this was never told to me upon check in. My only complaint is this: the staff is super excited to check you in, even in beach clothes, but when you question an unknown charge to your bank account they look at you like you're a leper. I'm still giving this hotel great marks...I tend to expect attitude from higher end hotel staff even though it's not needed.

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you for the positive overall comments and thoughtful words about our hotel and services. I apologize for the issues with the authorizations to your bank card and certainly in regards to our response when you brought this to our attention. I will be reviewing this with our team to improve our handling and response to these situations.
Thanks

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Used this hotel before and after long flights to Europe. Just perfect. Parked car at covered garage for 2 weeks without charge...hotel package included the parking. Beautiful upscale rooms, free 7 minute shuttle to and from airport. Wonderful beds. Great location across street from Westshore mall with lots of restaurant choices. Panera Bread also across street for easy breakfast. Very helpful staff with our "lots of luggage". Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: all rooms are lovely...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and it worked out well before and after your trip… Next time send us a postcard from Europe!!!
Thanks for staying with us.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I booked a room on Hotwire because we were spending a couple days in Tampa and didn't want to drive home and back. I was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews, but I feel we got a wonderful deal for the price we paid. The woman at the desk was very friendly and helpful. We had a room facing the street and were not bothered by the noise. The drapes kept the room dark so we could sleep a little later. The self-parking was very easy. The room was very nice, and the bed was comfortable. Thanks to those who wrote about the mini-bar as we did not touch it. I agree that wifi should be free, but we had breakfast at Panera, which is just across the street, and we were able to check our emails. The view of the bay at sunset from the pool was great.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the nice review, I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I've stayed at this location more than 10 times in the last year, in rooms ranging from standard to suites. Each room is very clean, the channel selection is great, each room has large flat panel TV's, the beds are comfortable, and I've always felt welcome here.
The only issues I've had at this location is with the noise and the heating/air conditioning. The closer your room is to Kennedy Blvd, the louder the traffic is. It seems like every hot rodder and loud bikes roar up and down the street here. Every room I've been in, I've found the A/C to be set at 65F and it runs 24x7 to keep the rooms cool. If you want a quieter room, they'll place you on higher floors but the problem is the higher floors are warmer and warmer. I spoke with the hotel staff, and that was their explanation. Basically, there's nothing they can do about the cooling.

Room Tip: Most rooms have windows that face toward atriums on each side of the hotel. Rooms closer to Kennedy...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Mark,
Thanks for taking the time to share your review. I appreciate your positive comments about our sleeping rooms and amenities. I also appreciate your feedback regarding the noise and air conditioning and I apologize these issues interrupted your visit. Thanks for staying with us so often; I hope you are a Priority Club member so you can take advantage of the great benefits of staying frequently with us. If not let us know we would be happy to enroll you in the program.
-John

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I guess I find it hard to believe this is a 4-star hotel. The rooms are clean, comfortable and well appointed. However, I found a number of negatives. First off, since this is a multi-floor hotel with only three elevators, I generally had to wait at least a few minutes to go anywhere. Plus, it's a pretty decent hike from the room to the parking garage, generally requiring two separate elevator rides and a decent walk through the lobby (so no PJs!). Also, no complimentary breakfast, and I had no view from the room except of the other 'tower' of the building, which is quite close and occupied by offices (and lots of people that can see you). Make sure that you are dressed before you open your curtains because you'll have no privacy if you are in a room facing the opposite tower (I think it's difficult to get a room that doesn't face the office building).

My worst experience involved the less-than-secure building parking garage where my car was vandelized while parked one night - to the tune of $1000+. Although the hotel manager I spoke with was sympathetic for my loss, they denied any responsibility for the damages, including stating that they were not responsible for security inside the parking garage. I was also informed that there are no security cameras placed within the garage. I was told that the garage was periodically patrolled by hotel security; however, not once during my 3-night stay did I ever see any type of security presence in the parking garage. In my opinion, this parking garage could be a dangerous place to be late at night. Furthermore, the hotel didn't even offer me any type of compensation. No free night's stay, no coupon to the hotel restaurant, nothing. And for anyone driving a truck or SUV, the painted lines for the parking places are spaced very narrowly, to the point that vehicles were separated by mere inches, so expect door dings at the very least. And, it's also quite a challange parking even a moderately sized vehicle as the garage lane is also very narrow.

Although there are some positives for this hotel, and, generally speaking, it is conveniently located, I don't think the InterContinental Tampa rates 4 stars - and I certainly would not pay the regular room rate (I received a good rate using Hotwire.com). Next time, I'd prefer to stay somewhere else where I don't have to worry about my car.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, i.e., that doesn't face the other tower of the building - if nothing...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Mark B
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Walking to my car this morning I was nearly hit by a speeding jeep driver in the indoor parking lot. I got in car, then leaving from the 2nd level of the lot, 4 more cars came speeding around the corners of the lot, in which the limit is 8mph. Later as I was checking out, my daughter was nearly hit by another speeding driver in there. And not only did an employee of the hotel tell me that each and every meeting they have, discussion of the DANGEROUS lot is addressed by concerned employees, and SUBSEQUENTLY IGNORED by both owners of the hotel and the management company leasing the hotel space to the hotel. I went to the office of the leading company, and their attitude was so arrogant, useless, rude and unhelpful, that the situation was not resolved at all and it seems that they do not care to even post a couple of extra speed limit signs, yet there are plenty to tell us that we are on the hotel level for parking in several places. GROSS NEGLIGENCE and a world of lawsuits just waiting to happen. We are thankful we just got out safely and without even an accident, though the potential for that is great, sadly, for a place I would have stayed again and now won't, and if it were on fire I would spit to put it out after they didn't care about our safety. So, regardless of the clean space and decent amenities, I SAY DON'T STAY or give money to those who would rather protect speeders than those paying to stay in their place. F%#£ them.

• Stayed: August 2012