“Tampa hotel great for airport/free parking”

The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
Ranked #37 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Myers, Florida
“Tampa hotel great for airport/free parking”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Used this hotel before and after long flights to Europe. Just perfect. Parked car at covered garage for 2 weeks without charge...hotel package included the parking. Beautiful upscale rooms, free 7 minute shuttle to and from airport. Wonderful beds. Great location across street from Westshore mall with lots of restaurant choices. Panera Bread also across street for easy breakfast. Very helpful staff with our "lots of luggage". Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: all rooms are lovely...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
JGaffney, Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and it worked out well before and after your trip… Next time send us a postcard from Europe!!!
Thanks for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Polish first
Spring Hill, Florida
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I booked a room on Hotwire because we were spending a couple days in Tampa and didn't want to drive home and back. I was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews, but I feel we got a wonderful deal for the price we paid. The woman at the desk was very friendly and helpful. We had a room facing the street and were not bothered by the noise. The drapes kept the room dark so we could sleep a little later. The self-parking was very easy. The room was very nice, and the bed was comfortable. Thanks to those who wrote about the mini-bar as we did not touch it. I agree that wifi should be free, but we had breakfast at Panera, which is just across the street, and we were able to check our emails. The view of the bay at sunset from the pool was great.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the nice review, I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Palm Bay, FL
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I've stayed at this location more than 10 times in the last year, in rooms ranging from standard to suites. Each room is very clean, the channel selection is great, each room has large flat panel TV's, the beds are comfortable, and I've always felt welcome here.
The only issues I've had at this location is with the noise and the heating/air conditioning. The closer your room is to Kennedy Blvd, the louder the traffic is. It seems like every hot rodder and loud bikes roar up and down the street here. Every room I've been in, I've found the A/C to be set at 65F and it runs 24x7 to keep the rooms cool. If you want a quieter room, they'll place you on higher floors but the problem is the higher floors are warmer and warmer. I spoke with the hotel staff, and that was their explanation. Basically, there's nothing they can do about the cooling.

Room Tip: Most rooms have windows that face toward atriums on each side of the hotel. Rooms closer to Kennedy...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Mark,
Thanks for taking the time to share your review. I appreciate your positive comments about our sleeping rooms and amenities. I also appreciate your feedback regarding the noise and air conditioning and I apologize these issues interrupted your visit. Thanks for staying with us so often; I hope you are a Priority Club member so you can take advantage of the great benefits of staying frequently with us. If not let us know we would be happy to enroll you in the program.
-John
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I guess I find it hard to believe this is a 4-star hotel. The rooms are clean, comfortable and well appointed. However, I found a number of negatives. First off, since this is a multi-floor hotel with only three elevators, I generally had to wait at least a few minutes to go anywhere. Plus, it's a pretty decent hike from the room to the parking garage, generally requiring two separate elevator rides and a decent walk through the lobby (so no PJs!). Also, no complimentary breakfast, and I had no view from the room except of the other 'tower' of the building, which is quite close and occupied by offices (and lots of people that can see you). Make sure that you are dressed before you open your curtains because you'll have no privacy if you are in a room facing the opposite tower (I think it's difficult to get a room that doesn't face the office building).

My worst experience involved the less-than-secure building parking garage where my car was vandelized while parked one night - to the tune of $1000+. Although the hotel manager I spoke with was sympathetic for my loss, they denied any responsibility for the damages, including stating that they were not responsible for security inside the parking garage. I was also informed that there are no security cameras placed within the garage. I was told that the garage was periodically patrolled by hotel security; however, not once during my 3-night stay did I ever see any type of security presence in the parking garage. In my opinion, this parking garage could be a dangerous place to be late at night. Furthermore, the hotel didn't even offer me any type of compensation. No free night's stay, no coupon to the hotel restaurant, nothing. And for anyone driving a truck or SUV, the painted lines for the parking places are spaced very narrowly, to the point that vehicles were separated by mere inches, so expect door dings at the very least. And, it's also quite a challange parking even a moderately sized vehicle as the garage lane is also very narrow.

Although there are some positives for this hotel, and, generally speaking, it is conveniently located, I don't think the InterContinental Tampa rates 4 stars - and I certainly would not pay the regular room rate (I received a good rate using Hotwire.com). Next time, I'd prefer to stay somewhere else where I don't have to worry about my car.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, i.e., that doesn't face the other tower of the building - if nothing...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Mark B
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Walking to my car this morning I was nearly hit by a speeding jeep driver in the indoor parking lot. I got in car, then leaving from the 2nd level of the lot, 4 more cars came speeding around the corners of the lot, in which the limit is 8mph. Later as I was checking out, my daughter was nearly hit by another speeding driver in there. And not only did an employee of the hotel tell me that each and every meeting they have, discussion of the DANGEROUS lot is addressed by concerned employees, and SUBSEQUENTLY IGNORED by both owners of the hotel and the management company leasing the hotel space to the hotel. I went to the office of the leading company, and their attitude was so arrogant, useless, rude and unhelpful, that the situation was not resolved at all and it seems that they do not care to even post a couple of extra speed limit signs, yet there are plenty to tell us that we are on the hotel level for parking in several places. GROSS NEGLIGENCE and a world of lawsuits just waiting to happen. We are thankful we just got out safely and without even an accident, though the potential for that is great, sadly, for a place I would have stayed again and now won't, and if it were on fire I would spit to put it out after they didn't care about our safety. So, regardless of the clean space and decent amenities, I SAY DON'T STAY or give money to those who would rather protect speeders than those paying to stay in their place. F%#£ them.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank ZigRivers
Georgia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed as a one-night Tampa add-on to a long road trip, so we could visit the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. Everything was very well decorated and clean, with the exception of our bedskirt. I found a disgusting mushed bug that I had to make several requests to have cleaned.

There is a rooftop pool with a very cool view of the bay, but it doesn't seem to be heated. This would not normally be a problem in the summer heat, but it was a freakishly cold week (Tropical Storm Debby).

The bar was very nice with great service. Everything was way too expensive, and we think that's because they are geared toward people with expense accounts. But the drinks were great.

The employees (and guests too, actually) were all very, very nice. The lobby Illy coffee shop was awesome, with good hours, decent prices, and a great selection (some of the employees are quicker and more knowledgable about the things they sell than others...). The steakhouse was so expensive that we did not even entertain the thought of dining there - $45 for the cheapest steak? A bit much for me and my husband, and especially for our 8-year-old.

More about charges: Beware of the mini bar! It automatically charges you when you take things out! And the lovely bottle of water on the table costs $6. Bring your own. Wi-fi is something like $12 a day, so we used our 3G network connection on our phone for the few things we needed.

The beds were very comfortable, and if you have the right hardware, you can hook up your computer to the tv and play movies, or play your own music with the alarm clock. The fitness center was down the hall from our room and, although one monitor was wonky and some of the attachments for the weight machine were missing, it was quite nice, with headphones, towels, and nice cold water there for us to use, lots of free weights, and plenty of machines.

[Side note: For dinner, you can go across the street to the mall for Maggiano's, which is much more laid-back. Besides, you can get your child a salad portion of steak for $6, and if you have a very hungry son like ours, the $12 in perfectly cooked steak will be affordable.]

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mpgangle
Thank you for the positive comments and I greatly appreciate your candid feedback on areas we can improve. This is very important to help us continually advance the product and services we offer. I have shared your comments with our team and we are working to address the issues you mentioned as we always endeavor to upgrade the quality of our property.
Thanks
-John
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Extremely Dissapointing. Checked in late last night. Front desk clerk abrupt, in personable and cutting off verious guests due to being flustered?

Huge translation miscommunication. Had to heAt up food not given a lot of information on what could be of assistance....

No body wash?