The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
Ranked #36 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I stayed at this property only one night as I was traveling through Florida. The hotel is modern and well decorated, absolutely loved the room (King Suite) which was spacious and well equipped including the bathroom. What I found very convenient that caught me by surprise, after a night out returning to my room there was a ‘breakfast menu checklist’ door hanger on the knob. It allowed me to order and choose the time for breakfast to be delivered. Breakfast arrived hot and on time with the accurate order for two people, a little disappointed in the coffee and croissant which did not seem fresh. Upon check out there was a little discrepancy about the bill but guest services handled it without clamor. Overall, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 4, 2011

I had a lovely 1-night stay in the hotel. It is well-located next to main road, offering free airport shuttle and mall is across the street. Plentiful free parking for car also available.

While it took a bit time for check-in as my room was not ready, I got a nice upgrade to Junior Suite as Ambassador member, also free fruit and Fiji water were provided. It was a lovely room, enough space, comfortable bed, good movie selection, nicely tuned alarm-clock/radio, which played also 8 pre-programmed background sounds.

I also had breakfast, which had a nice choice of good-quality offers, very nice start of t he day.

Check-out was smooth as silk.

Would return again, once in Tampa.

Room Tip: West-side rooms for seeing evening sunset
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a bfew days on a business trip. We had a nice sized room with a king bed. For the quality of the hotel, the bathroom was a bit small, but it was adequate. We asked for an out facing room after reading other reviews about over-looking the offices over the atrium. Actually, after seeing that view from the elevator, I think I would have prefered that over the veiw of Walgreens and traffic! All the staff we encountered was very helpful and pleasant. They truely seemed to be enjoying working there, not just putting on the corrporate smile. I appreciate that!
The fridge full of mini bar items was disappointing. We bought a cheap coolier at Walgreens and kept some beverages of our own in there. A staff person even filled it with ice for us as we were leaving. I guess we shouldn't have paid for our own ice initially, but we didn't know if the hotel would charge us for ice, since the minibar was so pricey. There are ice machines at the end of each floor. There was no microwave in our room, unfortunately.
I didn't make it to the pool, but my husband did. He agreed with the other reviews, it's pretty sparce.
The stay was prefect for what we needed, a no hassle, quiet, comfortable room. We didn't bring our own pillows as we usually do. We both struggled to make the thick king sized pillows work. The bed was comfortable, especially after I found the spare blanket in the closet.
We didn't eat at the steak place in the very nice lobby. I can't defend paying $40 for a steak!
We booked through hotwire and paid less than the cheaper hotels down the street. It was well worth it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
InterConTampa, Director of Sales at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2011

We are pleased that you found your stay to be comfortable and our staff helpful and authentic. Our associates take great pride in assisting our guests to ensure a pleasant and memorable visit. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel and do not understand how it qualifies as a 4 star hotel. The staff is very unfriendly (with the exception of the staff at Shula's restaurant). The room we stayed in on Aug 25th had air conditioning problems and the temperature in the room was in the 80's. When we tried to address this problem with the staff we were told that they were aware that the 11th floor had problems with the air conditioning. We were told that the hotel was booked to capacity and that is why they couldn't assign us a different room but when we checked in we inquired about upgrades and they were available (for a fee) so it was very obvious the hotel was not at capacity. We left several messages for the manager (Erin M.) and still have not received a call from her. We booked this room through Priceline and also booked one for Aug 28th. After having such a bad experience the first night we stayed we contacted Priceline to attempt to change hotels and were told that changing hotels was not an option unless we checked in first and found the room unacceptable. So on the 28th we checked in and stayed on the 3rd floor. The air conditioning was working fine and the room was comfortable. The bathroom however was very dirty. The sink and tub did not drain properly so there was soap scum and residual hair, etc that remained in the sink and tub. We have never experienced this type of stay in any other 4 star hotel and were very disappointed. We attended functions at the nearby Grand Hyatt and the staff was very friendly and the service and food were excellent. That is where we will stay in the future when we are in Tampa and recommend the same to anyone else staying in the area!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank bvinacco
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip. The hotel is attached to an office complex and is directly across from a mini-mall that has an AMC movie theater, several clothing stores and upper-scale chain restaurants. There is also a nearby Walgreens drugstore.

The room was a decent size and quite clean. The pool was just down the hall from me and although it wasn't huge, it was a nice size with plenty of lounge chairs and tables. I ate at Shula's Steak house for brekfast and the buffet was excellent and reasonably priced. I also had dinner from room service one snight and there was a good selection and the food was very good. All of the staff were pleasant and helpful.

The only thing that I did not like was that the hotel was farther from downtown than I anticipated, so the cab ride was about $20.

1  Thank scubanow
InterConTampa, Director of Sales at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2011

Thank you for your kind comments. It's always a pleasure to share such positive feedback with our associates. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Tampa Bay.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

This is a nice hotel, but if you're just an average middle class person like me, stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

I don't have any complaints about the room, it's just little things for example, there is a pre-stocked fridge in the room, but the juice was $4. So we went to the store and bought our own. Well, the hotel attempted to charge us because we moved the orange juice to make room for our soda. We asked for a fridge (which is free in most places I stay) and they charged us $5/day. Things like that.

If you like upper end, high priced, pay for everything you touch, you'll like the Intercontinental. If you don't, like I said, stay at the HIE.

1  Thank Scottinkga
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We had a great meal last night at the Donatello and realized we were not able to drive back home (50 miles) without falling asleep at the wheel. I've learned not to try anymore as it will get you dead. We can't stay at anything that's not upper class (yes, I'm a prude) so we checked on availability at the InterContinental. AAA rate was $87!!! WHAT????? Yes, $87.

The place is what you expect for this chain: nice, safe, clean and upper class. I don't think you could go wrong here, so if it's near where you need to be then stay here!

One note: If you take anything out of the room refrigerator (even if you don't drink/eat it) the computer puts it on your tab. We moved some things out to put our leftovers in it and sure enough those items were itemized on our bill. The front desk girl laughed and said it happened all the time and promptly took them off.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple