“Not terrible but not great either”

Courtyard Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher
Ranked #45 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
miami, florida
“Not terrible but not great either”
Reviewed February 22, 2010

This hotel is in need of a makeover. I pretty much always stay at a Marriott wherever I go because of its consistent quality. This hotel just doesn't fit the bill. Don't get me wrong, for a good price you should stay here. It's just eh.
I was taking a trip with my husband to visit some of the wineries in Florida. They're pretty far apart so I wanted a hotel right smack in the middle. This courtyard was that hotel. It's right off the highway and very easy to find.
I called the hotel after I made my reservation online to make sure my room could have a refrigerator. They assured me that this wouldn't be a problem.
The day I was to arrive, I realized I hadn't received the usual email reminder of the reservation. Since I knew I"d be getting in way past midnight I tried to call them and confirm my reservation. "Betty" picked up the phone. I told her I wanted to confirm my reservation for that night and she told me very very rudely, "I have a guest in front of me now so you're just going to have to call back" I was schocked!!!!
So we get in around 1am. The front desk person said that if I wanted a refrigerator I would have to settle for a double bed room instead of king. The look on my face was probably enough becuase he paused and said he would try to find one.
The young man that brought my refrigerator was so nice and so polite and sweet.
So our room was right next to the elevator. I heard a little of the noise but it was nothing like the highway noise. The highway is close and the noise kept me tossing and turning all night. There is NO soundproofing.
The room was clean and typical of a marriott room. Albeit very old. We had an old TV, most Courtyards have switched to flat screen. There are no movie rentals through the TV, this was a dissapointment.
The next morning the cleaning lady banged on the door and yelled housekeeping. Considering we had just checked in a few hours earlier, I said no thank you. She probably thought I couldn't hear her remember no sound proofing, she yelled back to her friend, "No thank you!!! Now what does No thank you mean". Rude Rude Rude.
So everything else was going very well. The ac worked just fine. It was pretty cold so at one point had to use the heater which was fine.
We did have breakfast once. The breakfast staff was terrific. The lady was kind, polite, willing to help but not overbearing. The breakfast was hot and fresh.
I tried to use their "business center". Wow, the computer was so slow. I couldn't use it. I had to use the internet on my phone instead. Just to look up mapquest it took forever for the page to load. Very slow and old.
All in all it was OK. If I were to do it all over again I would probably stay there again but try not to deal with the staff. This staff is not Marriott quality (with the exception of the very young man that brought the refrigerator on the night shift and the breakfast lady) Everyone is was not just withdrawn they were RUDE.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
CYGeneralManager, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher, responded to this review, March 1, 2010
Dear Pickytraveler075,

Thank you for visiting the Courtyard Tampa North and providing valuable feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am happy to hear that you were satisfied with our convenient location, the cleanliness of our rooms, the value of the hotel, breakfast and service in the Courtyard Café, as well as the service from our night auditor.

I apologize for the service levels you experienced from our housekeeping and front desk staff, as this is unlike our team members and Marriott’s high standards. I have shared your feedback with our associates and have made changes to ensure your next experience will be much better.

I am excited to share that our hotel is scheduled to receive the new flat screen TV’s in the beginning of next year.

I personally invite you to give us another try during your next visit to Tampa. I would be happy to assist you in making your reservation and assuring that you have the room type and amenities that you need.

Suzanne Salmon
cy.tpacy.gm@marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 11, 2009

I have a condo in Tampa so my need for hotel rooms there is rather rare; I believe by my experience with Courtyards this hotel falls short. The room had a bit of a smell and the front desk staff was rather unfriendly (Which was very surprising to me) other than that is your standard courtyard property. (No amenities or privileges for Elite's)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
CourtyardTampaNorth, Manager at Courtyard Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
We appreciate your feedback and happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be courteous and helpful. We pride ourselves on guest satisfaction and strive to ensure every guest leaves satisfied. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Denver, CO
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I was in Tampa to attend to some family business, and this hotel was conveniently located in the neighborhood we wanted to be in and close to the highway. The location is very quiet, even with the 75 nearby. My room had a balcony overlooking Fletcher, and I could hear cars of course, but it wasn't incredibly loud. Once inside with the doors shut, the room itself was quiet. There was a Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Donuts, Wendy's and Bob Evans within walking distance. The pool was clean and big, and there were lots of chairs around the deck.

The common areas were clean and well-kept. The small market had a good stock of drinks, snacks, beer, wine and medicines/other amenities- most at reasonable prices ($5 for a little bottle of wine, $3 for a beer, $2 for bottle of soda). There was a business center with a computer, but I never used it.

The breakfast buffet is just ok. Mediocre, really. Scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, waffles and biscuits were all decent; sausage was dried up and leathery both mornings and fruit was under-ripe. But, it did the job and filled me up. Never ate evening snacks in the bar, but did get wine. Selection was pretty good and not too crazy expensive.

The bed was average for a hotel; down comforter was nice, but not so nice after I saw the huge stain on it. Table was very dusty (and I know dust takes a long time to build up in Florida). Just some little cleaning touches missing here and there.

Okay, my only major complaint: the staff was friendly, but they were often either hard to find or hardly working. It wasn't very busy at the hotel, so I'm sure they just got lazy, but it was a little ridiculous at times. Our first night, we wanted a drink from the bar and found the bartender literally lounging in the business center surfing the Internet. He seemed bothered to come over to the bar to help us. He was slightly more alive the next night when his friend was hanging out with him.

The staff at the breakfast the next morning were nice enough, but they were having an incredibly loud conversation and not doing much. I prefer a little peace and quiet so early in the morning. The front desk staff often had to be waited for- if they're going to hang out in the back office, perhaps they should consider a bell at the desk for service? I usually just resorted to coughing loudly or banging things on the counter.

Overall though, I would stay here again if I happened to be in the neighborhood.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Miami
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I stayed for a business trip and was very pleased with the location of this hotel. It was convenient to my coporate office and the major interstates. The lounge was relaxing after work (I had my favorite beer and chicken tenders). The staff was friendly.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Boston
Reviewed December 8, 2008

My daughter, husband and I traveled to Florida to attend a soccer tournament. The location of this hotel was great. The staff seemed to be very pleasant and they occommodated a large group for pizza parties, etc. The only down side was that the housekeeping really cleaned house! Many of the families that we were with were missing items from their rooms like ipods, cameras, perfume, cash. They do not offer safes in the room, so we had to drive around with our belongings in the trunks of our rental cars. I would not recommend this hotel for this reason. Cooporate headquarters was notified but unfortuneatley they could not compensate us for our loses.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — House Keeping
  • Stayed November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
Reviewed June 16, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott June 10th-15th. The staff was wonderful and the location was great. It is near many new restaurants and within 20 minutes of downtown and 10 minutes from Busch Gardens.
Our bed was the only complaint we had. The hotel itself is well kept but they should replace the old beds.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Tampa.

Stayed June 2007
Columbus
Reviewed April 2, 2005

Stayed in March 2005, staff very friendly. Free Shuttle service was great, driver was very knowledgable and friendly.
Room was nice, mine did not have a balcony(ask for one).
Restaurant was nice, a little pricey - but it is in a business park.
Pool was very nice and clean
Gift shop was well stocked and very friendly.

Will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank jeff83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tampa
Residence Inn Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher
Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North
Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North
#1 of 5 in Temple Terrace
Holiday Inn Express Tampa North - Telecom Park
TownePlace Suites Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher
Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa - North
Fairfield Inn & Suites Tampa North

Been to Courtyard Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher? Share your experiences!