“Great place to sleep, Can't recommand the breakfast”

Hyatt Place Tampa Airport/Westshore
Ranked #19 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed April 24, 2010

The place is clean, beds and bedding are comfortable. Spacious and comfortable. Their breakfast is pure carbs though, no protein at all, much lack compare to Hilton and Holiday Inn. (Just so it happened that I have a kid on wheat/dairy free diet, not much help at their breakfast bar.) Also their airport shuttle starts at 6am, too late for many guests. I think they really should start at 5am. However, we paid around $45 a night, so it is great value considering that.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed March 21, 2010

I booked this hotel through Priceline. I got a great deal on a great hotel. The rooms were very big, and they offered the basics in the room, comfortable beds, refrigerator, kitchen sink, a nice 42in lcd tv. I was in a room with 2 doubles. The bathroom sink was outside in the bedroom area, which I was not fond of, but it wasn't terrible. The bathrooms were well kept.

I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights, and the breakfast was ok. They offered coffee, cereal, toast, yogurt. It was decent, I got down there a couple of minutes late, but the staff was very helpful in putting together something for me to eat. This leads me to my next item, the service.

The service was unbelievable. The staff at the front desk was truly spectacular. The staff was so friendly, and it really made the experience something special. They were helpful in locating things to do in the local area, and the staff made sure that all of my expectations were met. The greatest service feature the hotel offered was the free shuttle. Once I landed, the shuttle arrived within 10 minutes. The shuttle runs to a "schedule" however I found them to be very willing to take me within a 2 mile radius, to many locations at any time. Whenever I needed to get to the mall, or Legends Field, or any of the other places, they were fast to pick up and drop off, at the front of the locations. This made it easy to move around Tampa, especially without a car.

I definitely recommend people to check this hotel out, as it offers a great deal of service, great rooms, and the price I booked for was amazing.

Will definitely return to this location when I come to Tampa again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Perhaps it's because we booked through Hotwire that they put us in room 604. Maybe that's the one they reserve for those who book through 3rd parties. It was big, nicely furnished, but really, really smelly. At first we thought it was just a bit rank due to humidity and the air system not being on. No. It was the distinct smell of urine. And the smell became worse and worse as the night went on. By then we were too tired and settled in to request a new room.

The next morning, we attempted to eat the free breakfast that was advertised lasting till 10am. We went down at 8 only to discover everything had been or was in the process of being removed. They even took away the bowls so the kids couldn't have cereal. A half-dozen mini muffins was all that remained.

Overall, a bad stay. Thankfully it was only one short night on our way to the beach for a vacation.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Scooter529
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Just stayed at the Hyatt Place Tampa for 4 days and found it to be a favorable experience. The exterior and surrounding grounds (an empty lot, Ruth Chris and swamp-like body of water) weren’t very impressive, but the lobby was very handsome. Most importantly, the rooms were clean, comfortable and very spacious. The couch is big enough to sleep a third person comfortably and the big screen TV actually works like one. The rooms also come with a small kitchen area that includes a mini-refrigerator and sink as well as a functional desk area. The only negative thing about the room was the bathroom sink is outside of the shower/toilet area. As for specifics about our room, the tub lining seemed as if it wasn’t installed properly, so it was a little bouncy, but that was only a minor inconvenience. The property also includes a very basic gym area (4 or 5 cardio machines) and a pool, which looked small, but clean. Neither is worth choosing to book here, but they might be a marginal benefit to some guests. A free Continental style breakfast is served each morning (e.g., donuts, cereals, breads, coffee, etc.) and a small café area will cook basic fare throughout the day. Again, nothing special, but a decent extra to have.

Finally, the absolute best thing about this hotel is the proximity to the airport. It is literally 10 minutes or less to and from the Tampa Airport rental car locations. Furthermore, it is centrally located in Tampa, allowing it to be a jumping off point for several day trips to surrounding areas. We were in town for Yankees spring training, but also made day trips to Sarasota, Dunedin, St. Pete and Disneyworld.

I wound up paying about $90 per night thanks to a special offer, and think this place is absolutely worth that price. At the stated $120-150 rates, it might be worthwhile to look around a little, but this place would still be a decent fall back.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Stayed here MLK weekend. Got a good deal via PL!!! I think the rack rate is $110 per night and this place is worth that. Setback off of Westshore, it really doesnt look that great from the outside, but my room was like a suite. Because this place use to be an AmeriSuites. Room had the AmeriSuites dark wood modelings and doors. Room had a huge couch and sitting area, micro, refrig, wet bar, and big flat screen TV. Bathroom was a bit small but no big deal. King bed was comfy and pillows were awesome!! Continental breakfast was standard with hot cooked-to-order items for an add'l fee. All ain all, not a bad place to stay. Very convenient to airport but none of the noise.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2010

My wife and I stayed here before a four-night cruise. We did the "snooze and cruise" package, which was a GREAT deal. The package included transportation from the airport, the room for a night, transportation to the cruise terminal, AND transportation from the cruise terminal back to the airport. All of the pick-ups/drops-offs were done quickly by courteous drivers in a nice Hyatt Place van.

Our room was great, spacious, and clean. Honestly, I just cannot understand some of the reviews of the rooms in this hotel. Maybe our room was atypical, but it was just fine. The bathroom was smaller than other Hyatt Place hotels we have used, but that wasn't a big issue. The free breakfast was perfectly adequate and well=stocked.

I would highly recommend this hotel if you are cruising out of Tampa and want to come in one day early. The cruise package was perfect for us.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2010

Upon checking into room, I found dead bugs on couch headrest. Changed to a different room and still not clean. I checked out with no apology. I was told the charges were not placed on my card. Got my credit card bill one month later and saw that I had been charged. Had to call customer service to have charges withdrew. Still no apology from hotel management. Again....Do not Stay at this hotel!! I recommend the Westin where I had an excellent experience.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business