“Staff made the difference”

Hyatt Place Tampa Airport/Westshore
Ranked #18 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I visited the Tampa Airport Hyatt Place for an exhibition in town this week and was struck by the professionalism of the staff. I like this chain because of the layout of the hotel and the rooms, its very comfortable. The rooms have a big couch and a place to put your feet up, there is plenty of working space at the desk, and the bed is great. The breakfast and bar area in the lobby seem just big enough, comfortable and serve a great free meal in the morning. This is not, what I would refer to as a full service hotel, however the staff seemed to take there jobs very seriously. They greeted us whenever we arrived or got back, asked us how our day or meal was, asked if they could help us in any way and generally seemed to care. I was traveling with a muslim colleague and he asked them for a breakfast sandwich without the bacon that seemed to come standard. Honestly I expected her to be annoyed by the inconvenience and instead, with a smile, she made him a special sandwich and delivered it with a smile. Not a big deal but these are the little things that make the difference. Management typically has lot to do with a place that is this friendly and I commend them for the great job they are doing. I will be back with my staff next time we visit Tampa.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room upon checkin and they put me in the far corner on the fourth floor. It was...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Tampa Airport/Westshore

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed here because of its closeness to the airport. We arrived after midnight. Overpriced for what we got because of spring break. Average amenities. Thin towels ,scratchy sheets, and an average mattress. We did not partake in breakfast. Starbucks was right down the street.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel and with most places, there are pros and cons. On the pro side, the location is great. It is near lots of shopping and restaurants and major interstates. There is a free shuttle that will take you anywhere within a 3 mile radius. Good beds and pillows, refrigerator in the room, and a separate sitting area. Large HD TV.

On the minus side, there were questionable stains on the cover of one of the beds and on the black-out curtains. Maybe a bit more attention to spots on these items would be good. We had read about the wonderful breakfast, but think these comments must have been written about another property. The best part of the breakfast was the oatmeal and coffee. Perhaps the hotel could invest in units we've seen at other hotels and restaurants who serve buffets that keep the food warm and covered. The eggs and and egg sandwiches we cold and the biscuits were like
rocks. Maybe the thought was to drown the biscuits in gravy and that would warm them up.
We also gave up on the free wifi because it was so slow, and went down to the lobby to check directions for a restaurant. It would also be helpful to have some kind of TV channel selection.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank boogieboybaxter
Reviewed April 26, 2013

the staff was amazing -extremely helpful & friendly! breakfast was delicious -saved us time, money, & the hassle of going out to eat. room was clean. has a fridge which was nice. the staff & breakfast make it worth the stay here

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I was greeted by very friendly staff as I had a long day, it was nice to know that all Hyatt are the same . The breakfast was great and so was the shuttle service but the next night I could tell that there was a commotion coming from one of the staff members and the driver, I was shocked at the way this young girl was speaking to him . The girl didn't really look old enough to be working there but I just felt bad for the driver . I will always love the hyatt and always will but this might have turned me off for awhile .

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel though part of a cookie cutter chain stands apart. Staff is welcoming and makes you feel like a truly valued guest.

I appreciate a quiet room with comfortable seating for reading, working, and watching TV. Hyatt Place is the best in my estimation in that category. My only quibble is TV and Internet. Connection speeds are slow and TV is limited in choices. I have stayed at lower ranked hotels that offered full HD TV with the full range of channels. That really should be the default.

Breakfast offerings are superb. Good choice and good quality.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the airport as airside can be noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in April. It is a convenient location and close to many things in the Tampa Area. The hotel itself is clean and well taken care of. I liked how the rooms have a separation dividing the living area and sleeping area. The room is pretty spacious and has a separate desk space and wetbar area with a small refrigerator, which comes in handy. They only show the bedroom/living area in the pictures on the website, and after staying there I can see why - the bathroom is a little gloomy and looks like it could use a bit of an update, but its really not that bad.
The free breakfast that you get with your stay is probably the best free breakfast that I've had at a hotel - it includes both hot and cold items and the selection varies slightly each day.
One thing that I really liked about staying at this hotel is that all of the employees here were really nice and professional.
The only negative that I can think of is that the check-in area is not in a good location...if you are waiting there you constantly feel like you are in the way of anyone trying to walk by, but really that's just a minor detail.
I would recommend this hotel to others looking to stay in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple