WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hyatt Place Tampa Airport/Westshore

Hyatt Place Tampa Airport/Westshore
Ranked #19 of 161 Hotels in Tampa
Chicago, Illinois
“Great place for a short stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed at this Hyatt Place for two nights last week. The rooms were a bit outdated, but extremely spacious. Lots of room to get ready and just relax. However, we really didn't spend much time at the hotel as we were out and about each day.

We utilized the complimentary shuttle after arriving just before midnight (the shuttle service for the day ends at midnight) and it was very easy and convenient. Driver was friendly and it was only a short drive from the airport to the hotel. We also used the shuttle to get our rental car early the next morning and we had a different driver - she was also great.

Lobby was clean and we took advantage of the complimentary breakfast in the morning - which was great. There was a nice variety of food, the area was clean and the women working there were very friendly and pleasant.

One thing that really stood out was that I had a Hyatt gift card and e-mailed them about it prior to arrival. They had this noted and applied the gift card amount to my reservation as soon as we checked in. This was great since I had read online that sometimes it can be difficult to use the gift cards at Hyatt properties. Very easy!

The hotel is a short drive to Yankees Spring Training, and the International Plaza Mall. We spent time at both places so it was very convenient. I loved how every staff member we encountered was so friendly and helpful. I will definitely come back to this hotel in the future if I am taking another short trip!

Another note (this has absolutely no affect on my rating/review, but I want to warn other travelers): We ordered pizza from one of the places that slipped a menu under the door...Bay Pizza I think was the name. It was terrible. Took two hours and they still made us pay! There was CHEWING GUM on our pizza and when we called to complain we kept getting hung up on!!!....DON'T ORDER FROM THERE!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stay at the Hyatt Place for our Pre Cruise Stay in November 2012 and was very impressed. We cruise a lot and always go in a night before and have never encountered a Hotel Front Desk staff as friends as those at the Hyatt Place.
They have a great Shuttle Service and for a bit extra they will take you to the pier in the morning and also pick you up at the end of the cruise and take you to the airport. Much cheaper than airport transfers from the cruise lines.
Room were clean and pretty much average.Although great to have Free Wi-Fi and the shuttle service is free for pick up from the airport and to any restaurants near by.
Next time we cruise out of Tampa I definitely plan to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Lost Creek, WV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Convenient since it is attached to Tampa airport and our conference was there. Staff were professional and friendly. The room was Ok but bathrooms are too small for 2 people. No way you can both use bathroom at same time. I had to dry myself in room while my wife did her hair. Its away from the restaurants and cabs are not cheap to get to town. the hotel was clean and well maintained. The CK restaurant had godd lunchs.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TampaGM, General Manager at Hyatt Place Tampa Airport/Westshore, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Hello Earl! Thank you for this review. I saw that you stated we are attached to the airport in your review so I was wondering if you had reviewed the correct hotel, we do get confused with another Hyatt sometimes. Our hotel is 2 miles from the airport which our free shuttle goes to on demand; there is however the Grand Hyatt which is right next to the airport which might be where you actually stayed. That hotel is off by itself and away from anything (which means you need a cab) while our hotel is within walking distances to any restaurant you would desire. We have a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in front of us, a Starbucks on the corner and the International Plaza Mall with the Captial Grille, Champp's, Cheesecake Factory, and of course the famous food court. Thank you for visiting Tampa and we appreciate you very much at Hyatt hotels!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I had my wedding in Tampa this past weekend but majority of the family and friends stayed at the Hyatt Place Airport/West Shore hotel. I can't say enough of the staff, they are wonderful to work with. Eva, Brian, Danny and others are wonderful and so helpful. I would recommend this hotel and stress how amazing, helpful and accommodating the staff is. They have a free shuttle that will take you around Tampa for up to 3 miles, but sometimes further if you ask. They also have free WIFI and breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a recent business trip. I have stayed at other Hyatt hotels, but this was my first experience with the Hyatt Place brand. The check in process was very fast and efficient. The clerk working the front desk was friendly and eager to assist with any of my needs. My room was located on the 4th floor at the end of the hall. The room was very spacious and clean and located in a quiet location. I enjoyed the free high speed internet and the large TV available to me during my stay. The bathroom was very clean and the shower was hot. I was pleasantly surprised when I came down early the next morning and was greeted by a very friendly front desk person and a great complimentary breakfast...not your usual continental breakfast fare either. There were breakfast sandwiches available as well as cereal, fruit, yogurt, muffins, etc...quite a big spread for a free hotel breakfast. All in all, I really enjoyed my stay, and I plan to book again for future trips to the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Boy! What a HUGE disappointment. This is truly the WORST Hyatt Place that I have ever stayed. Not sure why it could be so bad, since all the others have been either great or very good. This was abysmal. The room emanated the stench of mold. (really!) It reminded me of my childhood when we used to stay at motels in Florida across from the beach, and the carpet had seen its better days. The odor took me back. Unfortunately it was not a great childhood memory. Not much else to say. The signage for parking is non-existent (don’t park in Ruth’s Chris!). The staff was less than helpful—the ONLY time I have experienced such unhelpful staff at check-in at a Hyatt Place. I can 100% honestly make this statement: I will NEVER return to this hotel when back in Tampa. EVER. Very disappointing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Olent
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I must say, I truly wonder if you have graded the right hotel after reading the comments. If you look at our other TripAdvisor reviews, this is no where indicative of our hotel or what we would allow. In my 4 years as the leader of this hotel, I've never read a comment like this; so obviously it is a major concern and we take it very seriously. Please e-mail me if you would what room you were in so I can inspect this room myself with my engineer, executive housekeeper and entire staff. We have been blessed to sell out every night in February and March and this room you are referencing at our hotel is being used every night, with no complaints. I also have never had a complaint on the ample parking at our hotel but we always look for ways to improve. I really appreciate the feedback and want to correct this immediately. Mike Kidd, General Manager Hyatt Place Tampa Airport WESTSHORE. mike.j.kidd@hyatt.com Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Very clean room. I enjoyed the breakfast sandwiches, very good selection on breakfast items. Fast, easy, friendly check-in and check-out. I will definitely stay there again. free breakfast, free internet, free parking. The only negative thing is the internet access kept dropping throughout the day and night (possibly too many people logged on). Perhaps a Wi-Fi access point on each floor would help. I use to be a Marriott customer but have now changed to Hyatt because they have consistently CLEAN hotels, which is my number one preference in choosing a hotel. I'm a big fan of the travel Channel's TV show "Hotel Impossible" and did a check on the room, I think Anthony Melchiorri would be pleased with the cleaniest of the room. Oh, one more thing, not enough seats during breakfast. Overall a very nice hotel, I would definitely stay there next time I visit Tampa to see the Yankees.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family