“Don't reserve room 160...”

La Quinta Inn Tampa Bay Airport
Ranked #74 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Miami Beach, Florida
“Don't reserve room 160...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

The staff is really nice and the shuttle drive amazing. But, I took a short nap and awoke with 20 bed bugs on my arm. I've never seen bed in my life. These were very flat and obviously very hungry. In one hour I had 20 bugs on me, what if I had slept all night, I can't even imagine how many bugs would have been on my body.

I recommend you stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe Inn around the corner. The staff isn't that freinds at the Extended Inn... but, the place is clean.

Luv

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank effortlesstraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
lee's summit, mo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2010

This is not what I would expect from LaQuinta. The property is an old motel with VERY THIN walls - I heard every word from the room next door including the TV - as well as road noise from the busy road out front. Wouldn't suggest walking on the carpet in bare feet - and the dresser had visible water damage across the lower third as if it had been in a flood. The only positive is that it's close to the airport and it's cheap. So stay here if you don't care about getting a good night's sleep.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
gainesville FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2010

We live in Gainesville Fl and needed to catch an early morning flight out of Tampa. This hotel suited our needs perfectly. It's not fancy but is clean and has all the little amenities you'd want - hair dryer, frig and microwave. It's conveniently located to restaurants, malls and the airport. My daughter and her fiance stayed in one room and my husband and I stayed in another. We were both very satisfied.

The desk clerk was very pleasant and helpful. In the morning they have a small but nice breakfast with several cereals, yogurt, waffles, bagels, muffins, hard boiled eggs, fruit and coffee. They also have an IHOP just next door.

The next time I fly out of Tampa, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Ashby de la Zouch
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2010

Arrived at 11.30 PM, much later than anticipated, left our Hotel in London at 6AM, GMT so the 24 Hour mark was looming , and we were ready for bed.
So to be able to see the La Quinta sign when arriving to collect the hire car was such a boost.
There was no parking at the hotel, but the very helpful guy on reception allowed me to park up at the entrance. He also kindly gave out free bottles of water when I asked for change for the vending machine.
I have stayed in better rooms, but it was Ok , and quite clean. The beds were surprisingly very comfortable
Breakfast was nothing special, but it was free,
Great position to visit International Mall with some excelent shops inc. Abercrombie and Fitch.
Perhaps the best thing was that I only paid £26 via last minute.com!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank AshbyBaggie
Sidney, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2010

We were arriving very late on December 31st and just needed some place to rest our heads, so we got a great rate of $39 and decided to stay here. Our flight was delayed, so I called to let them know so they wouldn't release our room. We finally arrived at 3 am, and our room had been given away. The parking lot was full, and there was no where to park. They put us in another room, and charged us $113. So, the next morning i had to work it out with a much more helpful front desk person, who fixed it and charged us the original amount. Now, several days later, I check my credit card and we've been charged twice. So now I've had to spend more time talking with the front desk to get this fixed. I think my time is worth a lot more than $43, and I've spent a lot of it just trying to get what we originally booked. They really need to train their staff better, as they seem to have no idea how to run a hotel successfully.

Other than all that hassle, the room was fine for the price we paid -- but not worth it for all the hassle.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Malmo, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

Stayed a couple of nights before going on a cruise from Tampa.
Phoned the hotel about the shuttle which arrived in 10 minutes. Room was big, internet connection worked well, staff very friendly. Big bonus was the International Mall a 5 minute walk (or the shuttle could drop you off) - with shops and a great choice of food. The sushi place was very good. Around the corner from the hotel you could take the bus (30) to down town Tampa a 20 minute ride.
Bath room clean and beds very comfy.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank MarieMalmo
San Diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2009

Pros:
Close to the airport, so maybe good for an early flight.

Complaints:
After 2 nights there i had to wash EVERYTHING in my suitcase as it all smelled.
Breakfast was provided, but eating it off foam plates bowls, and especially styrofoam cups meant it had little flavor. IHOP is next door. It wouldn't take much to at least give a reasonable breakfast experience. Fresh muffins, decent coffee etc. real plates and cutlery.
Bed was pretty worn out on today's standards. sagged.
A/c could barely keep up with December heat.
Bath/shower was small.
Hard to find electrical sockets for cell phones, laptop etc
No "welcome sir" upon arrival. More of a "here's your key, there's your room"

Be aware, this is an old-style motel with external doors and small bathrooms. last time i stayed somewhere like this was 10 years ago and about $20 (a fair deal IMO). I've stayed in some nice la Quintas, and thought this would be similar. Obviously I must be more diligent next time and not just assume "same chain,.. same product":

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business