“Good for overnight stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Quinta Inn Tampa Bay Airport

La Quinta Inn Tampa Bay Airport
Ranked #68 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
NJ
“Good for overnight stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

We were flying to Tampa late night and needed cheap place close to airport to rest our heads before driving South next morning. First impression was very good. We arrived and called hotel number and asked for the free shuttle from airport. Shuttle came for us at 10 min and drove us to the hotel. We tipped the driver even shuttle is free. Check-in was fast and welcoming. Room was small and clean. But at the morning before breakfast our tiolet overflooded all over the floor. We told front desk and it was fixed and cleaned immediately but we did not use toilet in a room anymore to avoid surprises... It did not leave nice impression from the night we spent there. It can be just accident and previous user could clogged the toilet but, but, BUT... Nobody want overflooded toilet in your room when you need to shower and get ready to hit the road. Breakfast was good and even had hard boiled eggs (plus for continental breakfast type). We used shuttle again,rented the car and went to Sarasota. Will we stay at La Quinta again? Probably yes. I could rate it higher if not that bad toilet.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank babochka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Dayton, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed at this La Quinta twice because of the low prices, free wifi, free breakfast and free shuttle to and from the airport. I was on a budget as usual and saw this room for about 70 dollars a night. I wish in would of paid more to stay at another place honestly. The first time we stayed here we understood that it was a cheap place thus the decor would not be updated which is fine. But a cockroach in the room was not okay and the bed was horrible. We then went to the free breakfast, let's just say it was so weak we went over to the ihop next door. We came back after our cruise ( only 15 minutes away from the port) and tried it again. The door barely locked and our room is right next to the ice machine and it was crazy loud! The staff is friendly with free services but the hotel is totally run down. The shuttle service will take you to the mall for free and to the docks for only 10$ a person each way.

• Stayed August 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LaQuintaTampaAirport, General Manager at La Quinta Inn Tampa Bay Airport, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
Dear Guest,

We apologize that your experience was not what you expected from La Quinta. It is our goal to exceed our guests’ expectations in service and accommodations, so it is with disappointment that I hear how we’ve fallen short of that goal. Your comments have been shared with my team so that the appropriate changes can be made for the comfort of our future guests.

Your satisfaction and continued trust in La Quinta are our top priorities. We hope you will be staying with us again soon.

Panicha Collins
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

There was not much special about this place. It was clean and well maintained with standard amenities, but the great advantage was its close proximity to the airport and low prices. It was literally less than 5 minutes away from the airport, and had a nightly rate less than half of the next closest hotel (a Hilton). Overall, great value place to rest your head for a night before catching a flight.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank w3e4
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed the night here before heading out on a cruise from Tampa the next day. The free shuttle from the airport to the hotel was prompt and quick. Driver was courteous and helpful, gave him a couple $ for his help with luggage and suggestions on local resturants/activities. Hotel check in was quick and easy- desk clerk was also friendly and helpful. Of course a very rare cold spell had blown through the area the weekend we were here so it was almost as cold here as it was back home in Nebraska :( (not the hotel's fault of course)-but because of this I can't comment on the pool area as I didn't want to go swimming in 35 degree weather. Hotel lobby was clean and orderly, layout of hotel was simple. Room was clean and everything worked. Outside room access (isn't a problem with me personally) but the parking lot around the area wasn't brightly lit but didn't seem unsafe either- but I don't know the Tampa area all that well. A couple resturants within walking distance and shuttle driver was more than happy to take us further for free. We didn't use shuttle next morning to Cruise Port as those are usually a nightmare with so many stops and people and for the same price we got a taxi cab which was right on time and also very quick and friendly. Breakfast was typical budget hotel fare--cereal, pastries, juice, coffee, milk, ect---we didn't eat as it was packed (many other cruisers) and we were just an hour away from eating anything we wanted on the boat. Overall good value but not a place I would stay if I was vacationing in the area for more than a day because of location (busy freeway and highway nearby and airport)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LoveToRoadTrip99
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

Very pet friendly. International mall is across the street with plenty of excellent restaurant & cocktail lounge selections. Decent continental breakfast & friendly staff. Room was clean & quiet.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Driggs, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

I stayed here a few nights ago in order to get an early flight to the airport after visiting family. I was pleasantly surprised to find the hotel was located immediately across the street from a nice mall, and restaurant park w/15 or so different choices. I was afraid after returniing my car that the hotel would be in a bad and/or industrial area and would be pretty much confined to my room.
Furthermore, the staff was very accomondating w/printing out my boarding passes for free, picking me up from the car rental return, and even dropping me off at the mall. I walked back, and it wasn't more than a 15 min walk, including a long wait at the intersection for the walk sign to come on. They do seem a bit short staffed, but if not obviously busy otherwise, they do their best to assist you and were very friendly.
The only thing I did not like is that they did not have an elevator. So, if you are disabled, or have a lot of luggae - request a ground floor. Also, there were numerous lightbulbs out in my room which didn't matter, but would have been nice to have if staying longer.

Room Tip: Look up Brightside Discount for 10% off
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank BlueBirdDay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

I am actually still here at the La Quinta as I write this review. My husband is here for business and I am just here because. :-)
We have never taken our little 5.5 lb dog to a hotel before, so we didn't really know what to expect. All the other La Quintas in town had a really bad review, and we weren't willing to pay the $40-50 to $100 other higher end hotels require for pets.
I didn't like the fact that it was exterior corridor, I just like interior corridors, they make me feel safer.
However, when I pulled up to the hotel, I was very pleased with the area, the look of the exterior of the hotel (It does not look "old", it looks clean and kept and fresh. The structure may be, but it is nice.)
We (well my husbands work) was charged $75/night for a two-queen bed room (I was quoted $80 for a king bed room) and there was NO pet fee. =)
I was very pleased to see how clean our room was, the sheets, the floors, the walls. Its actually quite nice inside, the front wall is actually white brick.
We checked for bedbugs as we always do now since our honeymoon scare =( and no bed bugs. I haven't seen a bug yet so that's good.
The bathroom was spotless. I think there is a small 4-5inch area on the baseboard that had water damage because they had painted over what looked like warped wood. I was happy to see that they are trying to keep up their hotel.
I am usually VERY hesitant to use an in room coffee maker but it has been the most spotless coffee maker I've ever seen in a hotel room. So I made coffee =)
Our room is right behind the pool and it looks really clean.

I'm not even sure if they have a fitness center here, but don't expect to have anything to do exceptthe pool and TV (they do have Nintendo 64 available to play, you just have to get controllers from the front desk!! How cool is that for all you kids??).

Our first night was very restful. We didn't hear any dogs barking and we didn't even notice the planes through the night. We heard a plane around 9pm, and the next time I noticed one going over was almost 9:30am.

Breakfast wasn't that great. Some have mentioned a full breakfast, but all that was out at 6:30am was as follows: yogurt, Apple Juice, 3 types of cereal, plain Otis Spunkmeyer bagels, Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate choco chip muffins, plain bagged bread, hard boiled eggs, and individually wrapped bread with grains on the crust. Oh and there were apples. They were out of orange juice. They didn't have very many eggs out, and the ones they had I saw some that had giant holes in them. They were out (except for the holey ones) about 10 minutes after we arrived.
They were completely out of orange juice from the beginning of the morning.

To me, 3 different cuts of PLAIN bread is overkill. They could get rid of one or even 3 of their 7 types of carbs there and add another protein or bananas something. I didn't expect much considering where we were staying, but I didn't expect THAT.

There was a microwave but I was extremely puzzled as to why when there was no reason to use it.

I went to grab some coffee by 10am thinking that they would have it in the lobby all day but they had already ditched it. So as I stated earlier, I made my own.

I wish there was a microwave and a micro fridge in the room. That's pretty sad for the price. The snack and drink machines have a LOT of different choices. I even noticed special K bars in the snack machines.

Overall I believe this place is a good secure place that is a good value. People who stay here are pretty much all travelers. It takes a lot to give me a good impression, I really don't know how I got like this. But this place definitely pleased me (even though I was dying to stay in the Hampton =) )

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business