“Good value, very good service!”

Ramada Westshore Tampa Airport
Ranked #101 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good value, very good service!”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

With family in Tampa located not too far from the Westshore area, I have stayed in nearly all of the hotels in the vicinity of this hotel. I stayed in the Ramada for two nights this weekend, for the first time.

Here is what I discovered.

Like any property, there are pros and cons to this hotel. The Ramada often offers the best rate in the area for a full-service hotel, has a restaurant, nice pool, free wi-fi, a free breakfast, and a fitness room.

The negatives are typical of a value-oriented property-- and Ramada is a value-oriented chain, not the Ritz-Carlton! The furniture in my room was in good condition but dated. And the exterior of the hotel is a bit faded and ready for new paint.

This hotel got it right where it counted: the water was hot, the bathroom and room in general were clean, the bed was comfortable, there were adequate pillows, the A/C worked fine, the elevators worked fine, etc. The staff were all friendly, helpful, and engaging-- which is what counts the most.

Having grown up in Tampa, I know that this hotel was originally built in the late 1960s. I remember that! I also know that was built in a Florida-modern style of architecture. The riff on that here was that the lower level of the hotel, including the lobby and restaurant, are all enclosed as a single floor, and the upper floors are open-air. The lower level (lobby, meeting rooms, and restaurant) looks like a typical hotel, while the hotel rooms (upper floors) open to breezeway-style corridors.

It's retro. In fact, it's too bad that the owners of this property don't seem to be interested in playing up it's cool retro architecture. It's one of the best features of this hotel! The outdoor breezeways, blue tile around the elevators, and the interior-exterior courtyard are almost out of the pages Atomic Ranch Magazine.

I paid a few dollars more for a deluxe room, instead of a standard. As a Wyndham Rewards member (membership is free), I got some very nice perks, like late check out and a free newspaper. All worth it.

The bottom line on the Ramada? While perhaps not for people who want "cookie cutter" Country Inn and Suites hotels (yuck!), this hotel suits me just fine and I will return. It saves me $50 per night when compared to the Marriott, Wyndham, or Doubletree hotels nearby!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank noskaj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed April 19, 2012

The hotel was very basic after advertising recent renovations. I wondered what the hotel looked like before. The ice machine nearest my room was broken. The main elevator was broken, and the second elevator was extremely slow, so I had to take a few flights of stairs. The room was very clean, although not modernized in my opinion. There was a microwave/fridge combo and plenty of towels. The drapes were very good quality and did an excellent job of shielding the sun. The air conditioning unit was a bit loud, but not unbearable. The water temperature and pressure were very good. I saw a roach on the night stand, which bothered me, but I do realize it could have simply been brought from the last travelers belongings just as bed bugs are transported. Wayne and Mike at the front desk were extremely pleasant and helpful. I somehow left my phone off the hook, and the front desk agent had someone come to my door to make sure I awake at 3a like I requested!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank M L
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2012

i booked this hotel as i had a late flight into tampa with my family and needed an overnight stay at a reasonable rate, to be fair the hotel is quite close to the airport and was reasonably priced, unfortunately the hotel was quite worn out, the rooms were very old, the carpets were sticky, the bathroom was old and you didnt feel clean using it, the breakfast area was very very basic infact i just had coffee, the staff were pleasant enough. i wouldnt be going back as in my view the hotel needs some serious updating.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank vod999
Maine
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I don't like Florida cities, so easy access to the airport on departure day is a big plus....very comfortable room.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Pegwillen
BobFalk, General Manager at Ramada Westshore Tampa Airport, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Thank you so much for kind comments about the Ramada Tampa Westshore. Please come back and see us again soon.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed here in april to be close to the hockey arena. The hotel is very close to downtown which made it convenient. The beds are comfortable but the room is nothing special. The towels in the room are horrible! We even asked for new towels but got the same old towels back. Sandpaper would have been softer on your body. If you get the place for a good price it's not a bad place to stay but should not be your first choice.

• Stayed April 2012
BobFalk, General Manager at Ramada Westshore Tampa Airport, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
I sincerely apologize for the towels you received in your room. They should have been for the pool area. We have double checked the towels in the rooms to make sure they are the correct ones which are upgraded.
We at the Ramada Tampa Westshore try to make everything as good as we can and welcome you back to try us again.

GM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We checked in around 6 o'clock. Told the hotel that we would need to be at airport in the AM for a 6:45 flight. They arranged for their complementary shuttle. Upon hearing that we would miss the continental breakfast that starts at 6, the man that checked me in provided us with danishes and cereal. He also arranged to have a refrigerator delivered to our room. I asked for a recommendation for dinner that was close, he gave us the name of a great place to go. I wish I would have gotten his name, as he was amazing! We arrived for the airport shuttle the following morning we learned that it was overbooked (I guess they share it with other hotels as well) but the hotel arranged for a taxi for us. They paid for everything. Wow!! A+ service, will for sure stay here again if I am in the Tampa area. Mike was a great help in the AM.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 123julie456
Thank you so much for your kind review of the Ramada Tampa Westshore. Please come back and see us again soon.

GM
St Louis, MO
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Chose this due to proximity to airport for early flight. Didn't eat breakfast. I think it is tad overpriced for an average room. Our room was much bigger than many of the Choice Hotels we usually frequent that is true. It took me forever to find the room, numbering system a bit strange. It is really a motel, not a hotel rooms are outside. The internet was painfully slow. The updating I guess is newer carpet? the bathroom was for sure in need of updating. I liked that the sink was outside of the shower so 2 people can get ready. It was fairly clean, I think the bathrooms just need gutted... Bed was soft. Interaction with our check in person was so fast it was almost rude... Last name, clickty clickity. Here is your key, talked super fast and off she went maybe she had to pee.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple