“We wouldn't return”

Ramada Westshore Tampa Airport
Ranked #90 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We picked based on price and location and reviews seemed fine. We would not go back. The location was good, the breakfast was good, pool was clean and fine, staff, again, fine. The problem was the bed (extremely uncomfortable), the pillows (awful), blanket/sheets (there was no comforter or anything and what was there didnt cut it), the towels (so rough). We could hear the planes from the airport, and yes I know it is an airport hotel, but still it didnt help when we were already struggling with sleep due to uncomfortable bed etc. My husband and I enjoy our sleep, and even naps on vacation, so not being able to enjoy that for our 3 days here just made this place not an option for us...

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 6, 2012

Stayed here for one night. They had a shuttle from the airport which pick you up from the airport. You need to call them though and let know the know and they pick you up. The hotel is located closer to the airport and far from the downtown district. You have a couple of malls nearby but on the whole you need to drive around to get to your destinations or take cab if need be. Rooms very spacious, buffet breakfast is continental, so not too many options. Overall, a satisfactory stay considering this was for just a night. Location was a problem though.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank morpheuskc
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Great spot near everything, airport, city, cruise ship terminal, Most comfortable I've stayed in! Large room very clean, nice free continental breakfast, restaurant on site, free wifi, and free shuttle to airport, driver was very professional and nice, Check in was fast and the staff (Wayne) was very nice and answered all my questions and was very knowledgable of the area and had great tips of what to see and do in the area. And what a great price!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2012

So why would I give 4 stars (Or are they tripadvisor circles?) to an airport hotel and to a Ramada no less? Obviously, this is not the 4 Seasons, but when you throw in what you get for the price, this hotel is an exceptional value. I either got the AAA rate or the AARP rate, but whatever, it was $74 per night. First, the neighborhood: Tampa Airport Westshore is not your typical grimy or souless airport neighborhood, It is a business district and is surrounded by residential neighborhoods. There are many decent hotels (All with good food and cool bars), clubs, restaurants and even a couple of major league Steakhouses. As to what the hotel offers: Helpful and friendly (Though not highly knowledgable) staff, clean decent sized rooms (Larger than, say, a French 2 star hotel, but certainly not elegantly palatial), free continental breakfast . Here I would quibble with the quibblers who quibbled with the breakfast
I'm not sure what you might expect for free, but the bread, bagles, english muffins, corn muffins, other muffins etc. were fresh. There was also cereal, cream cheese and a waffle maker complete with some deceent pre-made batter, so you could even get a hot substantial breakfast. The OJ was fine, the coffee was good and if you wanted fruit, they had good apples and oranges. I guess its like comparing apples and oranges when you look at this modest buffet next to the enormous buffets at a Westin, for example. But the Westin is surely not free! Let's see, you also get a pool, free WiFi, room Internet access and a "business center" with two computers (Free to use and free Internet on the computers) and a printer. Plus professional and prompt free airport shuttle. OK, so you don't get mints on the pillow and you do have to put up with the planes droning overhead (Really not awful). There is a rental car agency right in the hotel and at $69 per night (Three night minimum) this definitely beats car rentals at the airport. Ramond James Stadium (Tampa Bay Bucs) Steinbrenner Field (Spring Training for the Yankees) and the Yanks Minor League Training complex/Gulf Coast Minor League team Complex) are all within "walking distance" of the Westshore. OK, I uuse the term "walking distance" euphemistically as it is quite a haul on foot...many miles on foot in the Florida sunshine...but I am a hiker...so all I got on the walk were very sore knees and a good dose of exercise and warmth. Other Tampa sites require a car or an expensive cab, but if you want to walk to some Florida "country", it is a couple of miles to the Cypress PPoint Park complex, which is a reserve being brought back to life with a small beach, paved hhiking trail, a few other small trails and a great view of the Bay. This is not very wild, but it is aas wild as you can get within "walking distance" of the hotel. I would really consider staying hhere on business (I once did just that a few years ago) or even making this hotel my inexpensive venue for a longer vacation stay...of course renting a car so I could make it to the fine places in the Tampa Bay area and to Clearwater, Gulfport and Sarasota which are easy drives...but decidedly not within walking distance. Finally, they give you the opition of not changing not your linens for 3 days if you are staying that long and having you hang up those towels you don't want them to wash. This is fine with me...I don't really mind living in my own DNA for a short spell and the option is mine. They could change the linens everyday if you so choose and they clean they clean the room thoroughly every day anyway. I just wish they wouldn't couch this policy in such ecological terms. Here they call it a "perfect planet" policy and wax Cousteau-like about releasing fewer toxins in the water table, saving energy for the planet etc. (Other hotels call the same policies, "going green"). Just once I'd like to see a hotel say something like: "We are doing our very modest share for the environment with this policy and by the way, we are saving money for the hotel on laundry expenses...savings which we can pass on to you, the consumer after we take our share of the extra income." I doubt you will see such a quote anytime soon.

Room Tip: Air Conditioner really blasts it out. At least in February and March most nights in Tampa are cool e...
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Don't expect too much, but it was the cheapest hotel in Tampa Airport area I could find on expedia.com and hotels.com. Check-in was smooth and the staff were pleasant. Rooms were spacious with TV, coffee-machine, safe, and other standard hotel stuff. The rooms were clean, but worn down. Contintental breakfast was included in the room rate, but was a big joke. Selection extremely poor. Did not even bother to taste. Beds were comfortable and the atmosphere was quiet. I had a good night sleep, and checked out the next morning. I think budget travellers would find this hotel as a good alternative.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Just lately my reviews seem to be moaning about the odd point, but sorry, this hotel gets first prize.
Firstly I must stress that the staff are wonderful and the adjoining bar and cafe (I wouldn't call it a restaurant) is great and well priced. A large gin and tonic was $7 and very much needed when staying here.
Secondly, as in my review title 'I thought I knew better' and how wrong was I?
I am writing this in my room as I cannot wait to review this later because, unfortunately, there is a long list of things that I think need attention. So here I go.......
I have kept my shoes on as the carpet is filthy with marks all over it.
Around the entrance door is rust, probably from the a/c unit next to it with its water running all over the outside walkway, but it does work. I wonder if the filters are changed or cleaned regularly, as they should be?
The chairs and table are tatty as are the nightstands.
The beds seem old and well used and the linen, although appearing clean is not ironed and very crumpled. I shall wear my PJs even though it is warm tonight.
The walls appear dirty but maybe they are just marked with age.
There is an electric cable to the bedside lights and radio laid, not under the bed but at the back of the mattress by the headboard. Dangerous?
The ceiling light in the bathroom is full of flies.
I am not bothered about the television but it is very old.
Now the good news.......
The bathroom is clean with no dirt or hairs around.
The cleaner seems to have done a good job considering the state of the room.
The location of the room is looking over the courtyard and very pleasant.
The wifi internet works, albeit a little slowly.
I requested a quiet room and they were happy to oblige.
It doesn't smell that someone has smoked in here before.
Am I expecting too much for the price? I don't think so. Just a lick of paint would cheer the old and tired place up. And a decent carpet cleaner wouldn't cost too much either. Even a Rug Doctor from Home Depot would do the job!
Come on, Ramada. You can do better. I may be a mystery guest - who knows?

Room Tip: If you must stay here, the courtyard rooms are best but on the upper floors away from the noise of t...
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Booked this to be near the airport at a low price. Achieved both but it's unlikely I would stay there again. Hotel was lovely outside, room was clean, bed was comfortable, front desk staff pleasant and speedy. But airport noise was a nuisance, a/c unit loud, Hurricane Grill food smelled and tasted greasy, food really was not edible, breakfast was minimal continental. If you have a car, there are plenty of restaurants nearby to get good meals. Front of hotel is deceiving, the rooms, interior, and outside entrances all need upgrading and remodeling. This time I got exactly what I paid for, low grade hotel at a low price.