“OMG what a bad night”

Ranked #79 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Shalimar, Florida
“OMG what a bad night”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel is OLD, tired and in desperate need of being torn down and rebuilt anew. It has absolutely no insulation between the walls and you can hear your neighbor's conversations as if they were in your room with you. The neighbor on the one side of snored and the walls were so thin that when I first heard it I thought he was in the room with me! The decor is really old and the carpets are worn and stained. Hallway lights flicker as if you are in a bad horror movie. The fitness room is the second smallest I have ever seen (I travel 75% of the time for my work) and the cross training machine (singular) is overdue for the scrap yard. This place not only provided me with a terrible night's sleep, but when I complained about the condition of the room and facility to the front desk person telling them that this was by far the WORST Marriott Property I had ever stayed at the response I received was "that's your opinion"...Really?!

Room Tip: Their is a brand new Holiday Inn Express around the corner...Stay there!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Wildone_Z06
TownePlaceSuites001, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Harry W,

I want to thank you again for your stay and apologize for the problems that you encountered during your travels. I am glad that I was able to speak with you directly to resolve all inconveniences. Since our conversation the day after your stay, I have addressed all staff on proper and acceptable responses to guests’ needs to ensure that we continue to deliver excellent staff service. Also, our fitness center is scheduled to receive its new elliptical training machine to match our updated treadmill and weight set that is currently being utilized by our guests. I hope that you would consider staying with our hotel again and I look forward to speaking with you in the near future.

At your service,

Holly Rodriguez
813.975.9777
holly.rodriguez@marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Czech first
Largo, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

For New Years' Eve 2011 we decided to stay in a hotel in Tampa and not have to drive home after midnight. We chose a hotel that called that morning to advise they had a waterline break and had to move us. We ended up at TownePlace Suites in Tampa, just off Fletcher and I-75. We were quite amazed of the 2 room suite, complete with full kitchen and doors separating the living room from the bedroom. We were allowed to check in early in the day to avoid check in after midnight celebration. We were greeted upon arrival, breakfast available in the morning, and thanked upon check out. Wonderful suites in this hidden gem!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ACS33607
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on July 20, 2012 for two nights. The desk reception clerk was very helpful, since we were 6 (2 adults and 4 teenagers) we requested extra towels, pillows and blankets. The young man at the front desk brought up to our room what we had requested in 15 minutes from when we checked in! I would say EXCELLENT service!!!!
The grab-and-go breakfast was juice, coffee, cereal and muffins, which was good for us. The beds where very comfortable in the rooms (we had a two bedroom suite). However, the sofa bed was small and uncomfortable......not enough sleeping space for two teenangers.
Kitchen is a nice plus; refrigerator is a nice size, everything you need is provided to you; i.e. pots, plates, dishes, liquid detergent, dishwasher detergent, etc.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bibiana N
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Nothing really stands out about this one, you've seen one, you've seen them all.

Even though I never cook in hotels, I like the feel of a studio, with a small kitchen. Better fridge than your typical hotel room, I guess and some homey feeling.

I often have to work from hotel rooms, and so like the bigger desks of Residence Inns, and this one was no exception.

A couple of negative points about this one are the fact that this particular property is in bad need of remodeling, which their concierge has confirmed. She said they were on the tail end of their remodeling cycle and that would happen soon. I sure hope so, because everything was very dated, fixtures, carpets, bathrooms, everything. It was all clean, don't get me wrong, just old and very used up.

The only other minus was the fact that there was no place to eat within a walking distance. Although, I suppose with Tampa's distances and a necessity to have a car anyway, that's not a very valid complaint. To be fair, there was plenty of eateries and grocery stores within a 5 minute drive radius.

Other than that, nothing too exciting or bad -- just a place to spend a night or two when you're in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Halifax
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here at this hotel in April of 2012 in a 2 bedroom suite. The kitchen was a little cramped and dated but it was fully functional and met all our needs. The grab-and-go breakfast was cereal, juice and coffee which was fine. We were easily able to bring this back to our room each morning.

The hotel in a business park in a relatively quiet area. It is an easy drive to restaurants and groceries. We picked up dinner each night for takeout from different nearby locations.

We were going to the Tampa Zoo and Busch Gardens which were close and Clearwater Beach was an hour+ drive a way.

The room was very comfortable.

Room Tip: 2 Bedroom suites on the corners were good value.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

The past three months has brought me to Moffitt Cancer Center four times. While a variety of stays at other hotels have been ok this is the first one where I felt that I found a home away from home. The location is convenient and the area quiet. Service was quick and responsive. The rooms have a small kitchen with all that is necessary to prepare a meal. Most important to me is the comfort of the bedding that they provide. All of this is at a discounted price for those using Moffitt. My thanks to the staff and management.

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank John B
NE Georgia Mountains
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

The location is great, close to attractions and I-75. We stayed in an efficiency with a separate kitchen, a huge workdesk, lots of closet and storage space and a nice seating area with large flat screen TV. We found the space and room amentities a nice break from a hotel room. The daily Pickup Breakfast made it easy to just take to our room for those of us with different rise and shine times. However, the bed was very uncomfortable and the towels were a bit threadbare. We would probably stay here again, but hope the issues are addressed before we come back.

Room Tip: We liked the rooms facing the business park which had lakes and walking trails in a wooded setting...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tampa
Residence Inn Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher
Holiday Inn Express Tampa North - Telecom Park
Courtyard Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher
Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North
Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North
#1 of 5 in Temple Terrace
Fairfield Inn & Suites Tampa North
Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa - North

Been to TownePlace Suites Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher? Share your experiences!